Dragon float caught on fire !!!!

You quoted a post that said the Orlando Sentinel is reporting no injuries with this.

The sentinel is the same as Fox 35 or WESH 2.

Actually, didn't post #47 post the Sentinal? Am I missing something? Regardless of logistics/sources, I am MORE concerned of those potentially effected of this sad event.

You quoted a post that said the Orlando Sentinel is reporting no injuries with this.

The sentinel is the same as Fox 35 or WESH 2.
i don’t think they meant that the sentinel was a legit news source, rather that we should hear more details/updates when the news broadcast happens. Typically details at first glance can be sketchy so it’ll hopefully give a clearer picture to the story

i don’t think they meant that the sentinel was a legit news source, rather that we should hear more details/updates when the news broadcast happens. Typically details at first glance can be sketchy so it’ll hopefully give a clearer picture to the story

Exactly!

It's really too bad. This was our favorite part of the parade. I recall there being some issues in the early days of the parade with the float damaging some awnings with the flames, but I can't see them taking chances after this. Hopefully, the reports of no injuries are correct.

Just a cool Keys to the Kingdom Tour factoid on the Dragon... there are internal and an external operators. The operator(s?) inside drive and control the mechanical parts, the external operators' ONLY job is too activate (or not activate if conditions are less than perfect) the fire display.

Sad to see the damage - that's my favorite in that parade

Looks like this happened in Frontierland near the start of the route. Could this have been the first fire effect of the parade? Or was it after the first one that the neck caught fire?

Depending on what the cause is determined to be and what damages are paid for (especially if a guest sues), I would expect Disney's insurance provider to increase their premiums on this which may retire Maleficent (or at least her flames) for good. Such an unfortunate thing to happen. Let's hope no one was seriously hurt.

Last edited:
Back at Animal kingdom lodge now so can write a bit more, sorry for the sketchy details was trying to get back to resort with 1.5 year old in tow.

Few things.

Disney CM response was amazing ... literally amazing. Seemed like specific CMs were assigned to specific characters to evacuate it was very well coordinated.

The perimeter they set up was crazy well done and surprisingly was set up by custodial. Like those sweeping folks everywhere just seemed to appear from everywhere and set up a blockade with criss crossed brooms and stuff and then expanded to perimeter slowly.

The panic (near where we were) was caused by people (one person in particular near us) who started screaming about there being gas on fire and possible explosions etc... and people started running and pushing strollers like bulldozers.

All in all exceptionally well handled by Disney staff and I very much hope that both everyone is ok and that Disney takes this as a demonstration of how WELL their systems are set up rather than the risk that exists.

Looks like this happened in Frontierland near the start of the route. Could this have been the first fire effect of the parade? Or was it after the first one that the neck caught fire?

Depending on what the cause is determined to be and what damages are paid for (especially if a guest sues), I would expect Disney's insurance to increase their premiums on this which may retire Maleficent (or at least her flames) for good. Such an unfortunate thing to happen. Let's hope no one was seriously hurt.
No it typically starts its fire effects right after it comes on stage. This happened in Liberty Square outside Hall of Presidents.

It's really too bad. This was our favorite part of the parade. I recall there being some issues in the early days of the parade with the float damaging some awnings with the flames, but I can't see them taking chances after this. Hopefully, the reports of no injuries are correct.

I believe that awning damage report came during the testing and training stage of things outside park hours before actual daily performances began

Back at Animal kingdom lodge now so can write a bit more, sorry for the sketchy details was trying to get back to resort with 1.5 year old in tow.

Few things.

Disney CM response was amazing ... literally amazing. Seemed like specific CMs were assigned to specific characters to evacuate it was very well coordinated.

The perimeter they set up was crazy well done and surprisingly was set up by custodial. Like those sweeping folks everywhere just seemed to appear from everywhere and set up a blockade with criss crossed brooms and stuff and then expanded to perimeter slowly.

The panic (near where we were) was caused by people (one person in particular near us) who started screaming about there being gas on fire and possible explosions etc... and people started running and pushing strollers like bulldozers.

All in all exceptionally well handled by Disney staff and I very much hope that both everyone is ok and that Disney takes this as a demonstration of how WELL their systems are set up rather than the risk that exists.
Thank you for the first hand report. Its awesome to know that they have systems in place and how seamlessly they worked.

One report said gas was leaking so I wonder if the gas line broke causing the fire. the fire seemed to be in the neck area and not directly the head. Its gonna be a while until that float is back.

If ever, honestly.

Dang, this is sad. I love that parade, and that float in particular. Was looking forward to seeing her in all of her fire-breathing glory next month. Oh well. I'll still watch the parade, I love it. Glad no one was seriously injured. I'm sure it was scary for a little bit. Proud of Disney for being able to handle it so well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter