Dr Fauci: Vaccine may not produce herd immunity that U.S. needs.

dvcgirl67

DIS Veteran
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/28/health/fauci-coronavirus-vaccine-contact-tracing-aspen/index.html
So, since a lot of Americans won't even wear a mask, I'm guessing Dr. Fauci is correct in assuming that many Americans won't get this vaccine. And therefore we won't reach herd immunity. And so I'm guessing that by this we can expect COVID-19 to become something that we'll be living with forever? I guess it will eventually become seasonal and we will get an annual COVID-19 shot, and according to Fauci, the best we can hope for is 70-75% effective. Better than the Flu shot that some of us get each year. I suppose the virus could become less virulent over time and mutate. But....this isn't going to go away. We're all going to have to get through this first wave and possibly second wave, then learn to live with it.

Last edited:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/28/health/fauci-coronavirus-vaccine-contact-tracing-aspen/index.html
So, since a lot of Americans won't even wear a mask, I'm guessing Dr. Fauci is correct in assuming that many Americans won't get this vaccine. And therefore we won't reach herd immunity. And so I'm guessing that by this we can expect COVID-19 to become something that we'll be living with forever? I guess it will eventually become seasonal and we will get an annual COVID-19 shot, and according to Fauci, the best we can hope for is 70-75% effective. Better than the Flu shot that some of us get each year. I suppose the virus could become less virulent overtime and mutate. But....this isn't going to go away. We're all going to have to get through this first wave and possibly second wave, then learn to live with it.

That's how I'm thinking about it also. I'm only hoping that as the virus loses it's "novelty" for us that as we get it over and over again, that we don't have such extreme physical responses to it.

So, since a lot of Americans won't even wear a mask, I'm guessing Dr. Fauci is correct in assuming that many Americans won't get this vaccine. And therefore we won't reach herd immunity. And so I'm guessing that by this we can expect COVID-19 to become something that we'll be living with forever? I guess it will eventually become seasonal and we will get an annual COVID-19 shot, and according to Fauci, the best we can hope for is 70-75% effective. Better than the Flu shot that some of us get each year. I suppose the virus could become less virulent overtime and mutate. But....this isn't going to go away. We're all going to have to get through this first wave and possibly second wave, then learn to live with it.
I'm going to be honest, I'm not sure if I would get a vaccine, at least probably for the first year or so. I'm just concerned about long term side effects, much less something rushed through testing phases. Sure, "they" will claim it's "safe". But how will they know whether something shows up 5-10 years down the road? How many other vaccines and medicines have been released to the public, even with full testing, and then later found to cause more issues than what it was supposed to protect against?

I'm going to be honest, I'm not sure if I would get a vaccine, at least probably for the first year or so. I'm just concerned about long term side effects, much less something rushed through testing phases. Sure, "they" will claim it's "safe". But how will they know whether something shows up 5-10 years down the road? How many other vaccines and medicines have been released to the public, even with full testing, and then later found to cause more issues than what it was supposed to protect against?
I’ll be first in line.

I know. This would be the fastest any vaccine has been developed. I'm inclined to let younger people go first too. The process is really something. According to Fauci there could be several vaccines in full production in late stage 2, stage 3 of testing, knowing that some of them might not make the cut. I don't believe that's ever been done. We're bankrolling this process. I guess it's the only way to have a shot (get it?)....at having enough vaccines to give to hundreds of millions of people by 2021. It just seems like a *lot* can go wrong. I'm old enough to remember when remdisivir was going to be our savior.

I'm guessing colleges will make it mandatory for returning to campus, so many of us will have kids who pretty much have to get it.

As for myself, I'll consult with my friend who is about to start monitoring a Covid vaccine study, and do what she suggests.

As an outsider, this is horrifying that it’s now just going to be considered a part of daily life. Hopefully things can change as the year comes to a close, no matter who’s in charge.

As for a vaccine, I will be relying on herd immunity for at least the first year, and will continue to quarantine as much as possible. Having a weakened immune system, I want to wait and see if there are any long term side effects. If there’s anything live in it, I won’t be able to get it anyway.

My family gets the flu shot yearly... so we of course will be getting the vaccine for this... I want to travel, and its going come down to being able to prove that you have had your shots in order to travel...

Most people don't get the flu shot yearly, I really don't think that they are going to get this type of vaccine when available.

I read yesterday that, one of the labs is getting ready for phase 3 of the testing, which is on thousands or healthy people... and it will be a 2 shot deal, the first shot then 3 to 4 weeks later the 2nd shot...

I hate the title to this article, because I'm betting many people don't actually read the article and interpret as "the vaccine won't work". What it's actually saying is that the vaccine won't produce herd immunity if people won't opt to get it. That is what they should say.

I know. This would be the fastest any vaccine has been developed. I'm inclined to let younger people go first too. The process is really something. According to Fauci there could be several vaccines in full production in late stage 2, stage 3 of testing, knowing that some of them might not make the cut. I don't believe that's ever been done. We're bankrolling this process. I guess it's the only way to have a shot (get it?)....at having enough vaccines to give to hundreds of millions of people by 2021. It just seems like a *lot* can go wrong. I'm old enough to remember when remdisivir was going to be our savior.
There’s one that has been developed in a university lab here in Alberta that’s starting human trials. Apparently there are hordes of volunteers who are willing to participate in the first round.
https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/made-in...e-prototypes-to-be-tested-on-humans-1.5001596

Well saddly if covid 19 is here to stay and only 70% get the vaccine than the other 30 will prolly get sick and hopefully change there tune.

We will be the first in line depending on which vaccine becomes available. A vaccine that is based on existing vaccine science but with the target virus tweaked is probably safe. They just replace the special sauce for one virus with another, like the vaccine where they are using virus rna and just swapping out one set of rna for another. (Yes I know it is more complicated than that, but I’m not a scientist and that’s the easiest way to describe it.) if it is brand new vaccine technology, then we will wait.

As an outsider, this is horrifying that it’s now just going to be considered a part of daily life. Hopefully things can change as the year comes to a close, no matter who’s in charge.

As for a vaccine, I will be relying on herd immunity for at least the first year, and will continue to quarantine as much as possible. Having a weakened immune system, I want to wait and see if there are any long term side effects. If there’s anything live in it, I won’t be able to get it anyway.
Apparently the UofA vaccines do not carry live virus - they introduce genetic code that “program” a response into a person’s own DNA. I’m no scientist but I think this is a different process than regular vaccines.

I also am not sure this will turn out to be a “seasonal” virus like the flu. It sure doesn’t appear that way now. We may just be living with it all year long.

They said back in march/april that this year year summer won't do much to slow it because its so new, but as more people have gotten it it could in time become seasonal. Since its summer behavior tied to heat and humidity that make it harder for virus to spread between people, but right now with so many susceptible it will make it easy for it till spread.

How are you an outsider to this?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter