Downtown Disney food options - need a little help ya'll

SpaceMan5

DIS Veteran
So I have the DL and DCA food options all covered for our upcoming trip in January. But I need a little advice on the DTD offerings.

On our last trip we had dinner at Naples Ristorante and really enjoyed it. The pizza and pasta dishes were good and felt we got our $ worth. The Old Fashioned was good but they need to serve it with one big ice cube instead of several smaller ice cubes (see Caesars Palace, Las Vegas!). We also tried Salt & Straw for the first time. I believe it was the Carmel Ribbon flavor, WOW! It was amazing.

We are open to all types of food and will try just about anything. I realize everyone's tastes are different but I can probably get a fairly good idea of the best spots from your responses.

Looking for lunch and dinner ideas. So what are your go to places at DTD? What places would you avoid?

I really like Ballast Point for lunch. You sit on an upstairs patio that overlooks DTD. I like the food options and, well, I love me a brewery, ha ha!

Earl of sandwich is great and pretty inexpensive. I also enjoyed the craftsman bar at the grand Californian. The portions are huge for what you get.

Naples is really good, as you already know, but I think the hidden dining gem in DTD is Splitsville. Their food, being served in a bowling alley, has no business being as good as it is.
No kidding! I would have never guessed. Any menu recommendations?

Naples outside is probably our favorite.

As mentioned Ballast Point rooftoop is pretty nice.

We love the burgers at Blacktap and the kids of course always order a crazy shake.

Tortilla Joes is also pretty darn fantastic.

If Din Tai Fung is open be prepared - it will be CRAZY busy. Not sure if they'll offer reservations or not. We live close to 3 DTF locations and it's *always* busy (we go fairly regularly so you'll never catch me trying to go to DTF in Disneyland).

The Hearthstone Bar at Grand California will make you a proper old fashioned FWI and I do enjoy the atmosphere.

No kidding! I would have never guessed. Any menu recommendations?
Their sushi is surprisingly, shockingly good. I have always been impressed with their fish & chips. And my daughter is in love with their pizza (which is much more American than the pizza at Naples, but still really good).

I’m going to second Splitsville! We usually go there on our arrival night then go shopping. They have a good variety of options and a full bar if you want an adult beverage.

We do not like Tortilla Joes at all. I’m from Arizona and I guess we are used to a different style of Mexican food but I was not impressed the two times we’ve tried it. That being said the quick serve location on the side is decent.

Their sushi is surprisingly, shockingly good. I have always been impressed with their fish & chips. And my daughter is in love with their pizza (which is much more American than the pizza at Naples, but still really good).
Dude! Sushi + bowling alley just don't seem to = good food. But then you tried it and lived to give your feedback here on the boards. Many props :worship:

We've always liked Tortilla Joes when we visit. We were recommended their champiñones on our first visit to the restaurant and they're an AMAZING addition to any meal if you like mushrooms.

We tried Naples for the first time last trip and loved it. Tried Black Tap but only for apps and shakes and loved that too. We are an every trip Ralph Brennan's but my go to order is off the menu and I loved the aesthetic so that is crossed off the list. Tortilla Jo's is one we've gone to half a dozen times, it's hit or miss so we don't risk it anymore. I've had half great meals and half mediocre food with bad service.

We are going to Naples on our first night on our upcoming trip and will definitely hit up Black Tap.

So I have the DL and DCA food options all covered for our upcoming trip in January. But I need a little advice on the DTD offerings.

On our last trip we had dinner at Naples Ristorante and really enjoyed it. The pizza and pasta dishes were good and felt we got our $ worth. The Old Fashioned was good but they need to serve it with one big ice cube instead of several smaller ice cubes (see Caesars Palace, Las Vegas!). We also tried Salt & Straw for the first time. I believe it was the Carmel Ribbon flavor, WOW! It was amazing.

We are open to all types of food and will try just about anything. I realize everyone's tastes are different but I can probably get a fairly good idea of the best spots from your responses.

Looking for lunch and dinner ideas. So what are your go to places at DTD? What places would you avoid?
We just got back two days ago and had great success at the Mexican food place. We’ve gone 3x there and it’s always great food, we walked up with no reservation and we’re able to get in. Also the brewery we had a great plate of nachos, really big. We walked up and sat at the window upstairs and looked down and watched the crowd.

If Din Tai Fung is open be prepared - it will be CRAZY busy. Not sure if they'll offer reservations or not. We live close to 3 DTF locations and it's *always* busy (we go fairly regularly so you'll never catch me trying to go to DTF in Disneyland).
They used to never take reservations up here, but they started at the five in our area over the pandemic, so far they still are and, depending on the location and day, can still be hard to get.

oh my goodness, now I want their pork chop

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter