• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Downs and Disney

Kirby

DIS Veteran
I have already done a search for this and come up with nothing. A friend of mine has recently decided to go to WDW next June. This will be their very first trip. Her DD is 10 years old and has Downs Syndrome. She is a very good natured child, very active but not good at being patient, so my friend is concerned about standing in line for the rides. They will be staying on site and I have told her that it would be a good idea to take a break in the middle of the day at the hotel, take advantage of FP and consider not getting in a line if the wait is longer than 20 minutes. I read something somewhere on these boards about getting a letter from the child's doctor. Does anyone have any more tips that I can pass on. She does not have internet access so anything you can come up with would be greatly appreciated.

Click on the link in my signature for information about the GAC (Guest Assistance Card) and also for tips about doing Disney parks with sensitive and special needs children. They will be fine! I am sure lots of folks here will give you nice ideas as well. Feel free to ask specific questions. :)

teri's links will help a lot. Also the suggestions you have already given your friend will be helpful. Sometimes the sign at a ride does say 20-25 minutes, but the wait is actually not that long, so she couls ask the CM at the entrnace if it's a ride they especially want to go on. Also, make sure she knows that the wait in line listed means how long the wait would be if the line in front of you is full and you were waiting from where the sign is (hope that makes sense).
She won't need a doctor's letter to get a Guest Assistance Card (GAC) which would help with waiting in line. All she will need to do is go to Guest Services in any of the parks and explain the type of things that will be problematic. I don't know if the child with Down's syndrome has any special medical needs (like heart or joint problems), but many people with Down's syndromw do, so she may want to consider using a stroller or other mobility device. If she doesn't actually have a wheelchair, she can ask for a GAC that will let a stroller be used as a wheelchair (ie, go places where strollers are not usually allowed).

Thanks a bunch! This helps a lot. My friend figures that she will probably have to rent a wheelchair just because her DD will get tired. Physically there is nothing wrong with her DD its just that her patience wears thin at times when she has to wait around for something. Her DD also doesn't like loud music or noise and her senses are very sensitive if that makes sense. Thanks again!

the wheelchairs for rent at WDW are aduolt chairs, so they might not be comfortable for a child. I've seen kids in them and they just don't look too comfy. The seat is wide and too long for a child, so the bend of the knee is too far back in the seat if the child is sitting back in the seat. The armrests come at about shoulder height for most of the kids I've seen and their posture in the chair is really bad.
She might want to see if there is a equipment loan closet where she could borrow a special needs stroller (like a big umbrella stroller) to take along from home. WDW also rents various sizes of strollers at all the parks. Safari Steve (a MK CM) has posted that they have strollers that will fit up to a small 12 year old.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter