Double Stroller for 4 yo and 1 yo

mousecrazy

Mouseketeer
I'm hoping you all might be able to give me some advice on which stroller to use for upcoming trip to WDW.

I currently do not own a double stroller, so I'm thinking about using a connector to 'create' a side by side with two umbrella strollers...but this option looks a little bulky and not all that comfortable for napping for DS(1). My DD(4) is about 40 lbs, so she's right on the border of being too large for most inexpensive strollers.

I appreciate any opinons and advice on the subject.

Thanks Lisa

We went through the same thing in planning our trip. Our DD is 4 (Oct.) and DS is 1 (Nov.) If we were to get a double stroller, we would get one of the jogging-type strollers (we saw one we likes at Toys R' Us (the non-turning front wheel would take some getting used to), but we decided that it is difficult enough for us to keep one of the kids in the stroller to make it unlikely that we will be able to keep them both in the stroller for any prolonged period of time. We also doubt that we would use the bigger bulkier stoller much at home. We are going to bring a 4WD umbrella stroller, and rent a Disney stroller if the kids appear willing to use it. Good Luck...

On our trip in 2000-we took our double stroller (children 6,3,1) and could not have lived w/o it. It was sometimes hard fighting it on the disney busses but so worth it. I have since replaced this stroller w/ a side by side double and I dont think we will be taking this one on our next trip!! I think I will buy two cheap umbrella strollers (the side by side is not as convenient as the front back model that we took in 2000). I would recommend taking a stroller w/ a canopy and basket (we used the basket for all of our stuff).

we just bought(and had the same one on our last trip) a Kolcraft Double umbrella stroller. We got it at Target for about $50.00. Both seats semi recline for napping and have canapys. It is a little wide being a side by side but easy to get on and off busses not as bulky as a reg. double The only draw back no basket, but they have bags that velcro onto the back for storage that you can find in most baby supplie stores. We like ours. Hope this helps.

Hi Disneymommie,
Thanks for your comment re: the Kolcraft stroller. How big are your kids? The specs on that stroller say max 35 lbs per kid and 70 lbs max total. My DD is 40 and DS is 30...
Thanks again! Lisa

P.S. To the other posters...thank you for your comments.

Your 4 year old may find the double stroller a bit tight, especially the ones that sit one child behind the other. That said, the side by side models are very hard to get through doorways, take into restaurants and to wander around souvenir shops in.

Have you considered a Buggy Board? I was going to post a thread about this. I'm taking a 3 year old and an 8 month old next month and was considering just adding this to my regular stroller and taking this instead of my double stroller. I believe they sell Buggy Boards in The Right Start catalog. If you don't know what it is, it's a flat plastic board with 2 swivel wheels that attaches by metal bars onto a standard stroller (any model, according to the manufacturer). It allows an older child to stand and ride behind the younger child while you push the stroller. It can occasionally impact my stride if I walk downhill, but otherwise, I really like it. So does my 3 year old son. He's not the best listener, however, so I don't know he'll be jumping off of it at every opportunity.

I'd be curious to find out if anyone has had an experience with a Buggy Board or anything like it.

Best regards.:earsboy:

I have 3 children. Ages 6, 5, and 3. The oldest is 46 lbs and the youngest is 34. They have sat side by side in it. A little heavy to push but it does not effect the ride of the stroller at all. Most of the time it will be my 5 yr old and 3 yr old. 39 and 34 lbs each. I have not had a problem with the weight. I can not remeber who I talked to but was once told those weights are estimated and that most strollers can accomidate at least 10- 20 lbs more then are acttually said. Do not know if it is true but my strooler seams to work good with my kids. again hope this helps

Hi Karen,
Thanks for the Buggy Board idea. What kind of stroller do you have yours attached to? I have a Combi Savvy and I'm concerned that I won't have room to walk with the Buggy Board attached.
Thanks Lisa

I have a Peg Perego PLIKOmatic. (I'm not 100% certain about the name of the US model of this stroller since I purchased mine in London under the Mommas and Poppas brand name. I'm certain they sell the same model here). With regards to performance, I've never had a problem with my stride being impacted on flat or bumpy ground, but since I live on a hill, I notice that it's a little less comfortable walking downhill. My son doesn't notice a thing, but I feel that I have to shorten my steps a little to accomodate the change in grade.

Here's some information from the installation instructions which you may find useful:

Lascal, Buggy Board's manufacturer's e-mail:
kiddy@lascal.se

The company's US distributor, Infantino's, phone number:
619-689-1221

The instructions claim that a child up to 5 years or 30kg (approx 66lbs) can stand on the board.

Best regards.
:)

On our last trip I decided that none of the three strollers in the garage would hold up to a trip with our then 7, 5 and 4 year olds (I had a single and double Graco Literider and a Peg Perego Tender Twin). On the advice of another Disney Mom I purchase a MacClaren side by side. This stroller was quite pricey but has been worth it's weight in gold. Not only does it hold heavier children (I think 45-50 lbs. each) it folds down to almost an umbrella stoller size. It was easy to take on the busses and even fit the 7 year old when he got a blister and couldn't walk one day. I thought we were past the stoller stage with the kids being almost 9, 7 and 6 this year but I just used the same stroller on a visit to Hersheypark PA (although I try to only have one kid ride at a time now since they are all over 50 lbs.). I wasn't going to take a stoller to Disney this Dec. but after this weekend the MacClaren will be coming with us once more. The only drawback to this stroller is that the baskets underneath are small and hard to reach and as with any umbrella stroller it will tip if you have too much stuff hanging off of the back but it is the most well built stroller I have owned (you might even find one on E-Bay.)

You can tell I'm just about out of the stroller scene (what will I do with all our stuff?!). In the above post I spelled the name of my stroller incorrectly - it should be Maclaren. I also looked in my book and the weight for the Opus Duo is 40 lbs. each side (total 80 lbs.) - my 58 pounder sat in it with no problem. Sorry for the incorrect info before.:cool:

Any stroller you take needs to have a canopy and be easily collapsable. Any "stuff" you put in the basket needs to be easily removed for getting on buses. Last year we took two collapsable strollers, which were little bigger than umbrella strollers. I bought connectors which allowed the two to be connected, so that I could push them both when my husband went off with my oldest. This worked out really well. The WDW strollers are hard plastic and may make napping difficult for younger children. (MGM had the umbrella type.) Hope this helps.

We like the double strollers for rent at the parks. We took our own single stroller and ended up prefering to rent doubles. I wouldn't want to push the double umbrella strollers.

We got the Eddie Bauer all terrain double stroller for our trips. It is huge and weighs a ton but has a ton of storage and our 4 1/2 year old can sit in the front with the front tray removed. Stroller says up to 40 pounds and my son is right at that maybe even a lottle above. 14 month dd has stadium seating in the back and can be reclined for sleeping. It has a cup holder and tray in the back. Plus it is a breeze to push. We just gate check it at the airport since we use it to get around. But get a big car or you'll have to leave your luggage behind.;)

Thanks for all the great comments and suggestions. I decided to go with an umbrella-type double stroller (light and easy to fold)...found a used Kidco City Light Double.

Lisa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter