Dorian expected to strengthen to Cat 3 Hurricane

I'm got here on Saturday and am suppose to fly out on SW on Tuesday. I've already bought a case of water just in case. Also thinking of just changing my flight to leave next Saturday to avoid any cancellations or hassle and long lines at the front desk in a day or two. SW has already decided to proactively tell people they can change without cost. I'm headed down in about half an hour to check my options.

I don't think the thread was intended to be inflammatory at all. The OP just wanted to bring the storm to the community's attention and recommended tracking it. Thanks @hertamaniac.

You are correct as this was not intended to sensationalize the storm at all, but as you said just trying to give folks who may not live in central Florida (where I live and have lived for almost 2 decades) an avenue of communicating a potential impact. Thank you and everyone else for the support.

I will continue to create threads on potential hurricane impacts on central Florida as I see fit.

It seems that there's a consensus now, it'll hit Florida as a Cat 3. On what'll be one of Disney's busiest weekends of the year, with the Galaxy's Edge opening. Ohhhhhh, this is gonna get wild.

Folks who're in the area or traveling stay safe and take some awesome pics if you get the (safe) chance!

We were in Orlando in August 2011 when Irene struck. Our Continental/United flight was cancelled. At that point, trying to rebook was very difficult. We were given options like seats split up (not a desirable option with a very young child) or a flight in three days. Out of desperation, we paid a fortune to get home in time for school to start. I spent hours on hold trying to rebook. Luckily, online booking has improved since then and you don’t have to speak to a representative. Still though, thousands of rescheduling customers really bogs down the system. Even rental cars were not a available.

If I were in that position again, I think I would prebook an extra flight home just in case.

The 11 am NHC advisory now forecasts Dorian to reach category 4 status, and shows a peak intensity of 130 mph.

Yeah, I am in the Insurance industry so we are all over this - last models show projected Cat 4, up to 135MPH annd tracking slightly more south (center of Cone of path is hitting around Port St Lucie)

Could be a be one (but a lot can still change)

We really wanted to head down there from North FL tomorrow, but it doesn't seem like that would be a great idea. Early in the week we were talking about going down Sunday, but that's pretty much off the table. I wish everyone luck!

I was at SSR in 2017 when IRMA was on the way. Was lucky to get on one of the last flights out of Orlando--as it turns out may not have been my best decision. I ran into several fellow guests some months later and was told how fantastic Disney treated them. They had so much fun and good times they forgot all about the Hurricane going on around them. Just goes to show you it is always magical at WDW.

We were stuck in the same storm. Once we gave up on trying to fly out, we enjoyed just how fun everyone tried to make things. We were very lucky to be at Wilderness Lodge. I got a lot of work done in that upper lobby area.

It seems that there's a consensus now, it'll hit Florida as a Cat 3. On what'll be one of Disney's busiest weekends of the year, with the Galaxy's Edge opening. Ohhhhhh, this is gonna get wild.

Folks who're in the area or traveling stay safe and take some awesome pics if you get the (safe) chance!

Weather channel is predicting CAT 4 as of 11:00am.

So I'll be there weathering the storm like I weathered Irma last year at Disney... WHICH WAS AWESOME. Sure, we were on lock-down in our room at Port Orleans Riverside during the worst of it, but we had provisions, and thank heaven those provisions included Lime-a-Ritas, because they certainly take the edge off. We also had electricity and tv with Disney Jr the whole time. It may have blinked twice. When it passed, the castmembers who had stayed without going home for days remained stellar, guests helped clean up debris, and my kid played with the arcade games and the very special characters who roamed around a bit while the parks were closed. I was glad to have been "evacuated" to Disney last year, and this year I'll be glad to spend my first visit as a DVC member during a hurricane again... My family is meeting me there and they're bringing the supplies.
I can't think of a better place to be while in the center of a hurricane.

We've gone over LD and the week before or after for like forever. We were also impacted by both Hermine and Irma! We went to wdw earlier this month due to college schedules or else we'd be sitting here figuring out what to do about Dorian. We laugh it's us. All my family is in TX. We visited in 2017 and in came Harvey. We are just not so good of luck...I swear, don't invite us over for dinner.
I'm gonna go ahead and ask for the rest of your travel plans for the next year or so... for a friend.

We have reservations for arriving Saturday. So I spoke to two CM's at reservations today and both said that we could cancel/reschedule up until our arrival without any charges even though a Hurricane warning as not been issued yet. One indicated that due to the state of emergency that the policy to allow cancellations was in effect. That being said I have seen nothing official announced by Disney. Does anybody have any idea whether what I was told by these CM's is accurate? The thing is given when Tropical storm force winds might reach Florida they may not issue a hurricane warning until sometime Saturday which would be after we arrive and too late to cancel at that point.

We have reservations for arriving Saturday. So I spoke to two CM's at reservations today and both said that we could cancel/reschedule up until our arrival without any charges even though a Hurricane warning as not been issued yet. One indicated that due to the state of emergency that the policy to allow cancellations was in effect. That being said I have seen nothing official announced by Disney. Does anybody have any idea whether what I was told by these CM's is accurate? The thing is given when Tropical storm force winds might reach Florida they may not issue a hurricane warning until sometime Saturday which would be after we arrive and too late to cancel at that point.

I'm so with you. We are scheduled to arrive Sat mid-day. I'm frightened we'll get down there and then be sequestered to our hotel, and pay big bucks to do nothing but watch it rain. But then I also feel like maybe we'll lose a day in the parks, but we'll also have WAY lower crowds and a lot more pixie dust??? What to do, what to do.....

LD is not that busy of a holiday at Disney I've been the last 4 years. SW might boost it a bit, but a week ago you could still get hotels for LD weekend.

We were stuck in the same storm. Once we gave up on trying to fly out, we enjoyed just how fun everyone tried to make things. We were very lucky to be at Wilderness Lodge. I got a lot of work done in that upper lobby area.
I decided after Irma if I had another hurricane trip that I'd get a room at WL to ride it out. But Doran and Irma are impacting my travel home day, so I'd rather just try to home. DW doesnt have enough vacation time to delay getting home a few days.

I made the decision to ride it out here at POP. We changed our flight from Tuesday to next Saturday. Others here are already reporting flights being sold out until next Sunday evening and beyond. We were given a hurricane rate on the extension of our room. Stopped at Walmart for a few supplies, water and canned tuna and other canned meats were already gone.

If making plans to stay or unable to fly preparing sooner is probably better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter