Don't you think it's time that Disney...

Should there be elevators at all Monorail stations?

• Yes: the ramps are too steep; we need elevators.

• No, the ramps are enough for most guests to be able to handle.

Results are only viewable after voting.

GeekChic

Now it's time to say goodbye to all our company...
installed elevators at ALL of the monorail stations???

The up and down on the ramps at the TTS to change monorails to get to Epcot just about kills my husband (pushing my wheelchair), and my dad who can walk but is disabled now due to a stroke he had 3 years ago (he will not use a chair or scooter, we've tried.)

The elevator at Epcot is wonderful. But I think that they should add a bank of 2 elevators at least (for disabled guests use only) at the TTS and MK stations. Anyone else think it's beyond time for this?

just curious!

geek

I am really curious why people have voted no. It’s not like everyone would have to take an elevator. But it is obvious to me that those that voted no don’t have any idea what it is like to be in a wheelchair.

Well, I didn't vote(smile), but my first thought on an elevator at the Magic Kingdom monorail station was to think that there would be one more place for people with strollers to get into arguments with people in wheelchairs and ecv's about using the elevator. Even though the elevator at Epcot is hidden and labeled with and handicapped symbol, (and the CM's have said it is for wheelchairs or strollers used as wheelchairs), this has been a problem at times.

this problem could be simply solved.

when i was in college, they gave people a key for the elevator if they were disabled.

they could give you a plastic card key when you check in that works on the elevators.

like any other thing for the disabled who really need it, the system could of course be abused. you should have seen the big soldier guy who tossed a bunch of non handicapped people out of the elevator on our last trip at the Contemporary station so that my chair and the one with his child in it could fit in.

lazy people should not stop disney from putting in these necessary accomodations for those who really need it.

i agree michigan...anyone who voted no doesn't know what its like. esp. for the dear spouses/parents who have to push manual chairs for those of us who can't use electric!

I am not answering this poll. If it was a simple choice of Yes or No is one thing, but the extensions of the choices give false reasons for the answers.

It was just a few years ago that they installed an elevator in the Contemporary to get to the monorail platform. They had to install it in a way that allowed users to then get in line or have a reasonable way to exit.

I could see a way to do it at MK, but the elevators would have to be at the extreme front end of the resport platform and the extreme back end of the express platform. Since the cars with the special accessible sections are in the middle of the trains this could get very complicated.

At the TTC, although there is one central boarding platform for both the resort and express beams, but the ramp from the ground slits the loading areas. The elevator(s) would have to be at the one end; again making it almost impossible to get to the center cars. Similar problem with the Epcot loading side.

If elevators were installed at TTC to transfer from the resort beam to the Epcot beam, or from the Epcot beam to either the resort or express beam you would have to go down to ground level to use the elevator.

Another item, of course, is who will police and control the lazy ones who don't want to walk up the ramp (especially after leaving MK after the fireworks).

BTW, I am local. How would I get a key card since I no longer stay on property, or how about anyone not staying on property. I can see a thread on the Budget forum or listings on eBay to sell the key cards.

The TTC could really use an elevator. Sometimes if there are a lot of other people on the ramp and we are moving slowly, it's hard going up. People stop in front of me suddenly when I am pushing my son. Like a big truck, it takes me a minute to react and stop and the people get rammed. If I leave enough room to stop, someone gets in the space. I'd rather ride the boat, but many times I've pushed all the way down there to be told wheelchairs can't be loaded and have to go back up the hill and wait in the monorail line. Since we drive our modified van to the parks, we don't take the buses. It's easier just to leave when we want and get right back to the room. It would sure be nice if we could just go into MK like the rest of the parks right from the parking lot!!!! It's the one thing I don't like about going to MK.

Well tink2dw this may come as a surprise but there are people in wheelchairs that can’t rent ECV’s because they can’t stand at all so there would be no way to transfer to the rides. I say that because every time we go through airport security they tell my kids just stand up and walk through the metal detector and we will bring your chair to you. When I inform them that they can’t stand at all they are shocked and 9 out of 10 times will say I didn’t know that there were people that used wheelchairs that can’t walk at all. It just amazes me.

"If it was a simple choice of Yes or No is one thing, but the extensions of the choices give false reasons for the answers."

oh, sorry if that offended. i didn't mean to add 'false' anything to the poll.

i had no idea this topic would upset people so much.

if you're a local, that would be an entirely different issue. for me, i'm only able to go to WDW once a year or so, and so the issue of ease of getting around is different for me.

i cannot use an ECV for the same reason i cannot drive a car because of my MS: vertigo and problems judging distance. a lot of people can't use them.

anyway, maybe this will end up getting deleted if people make such a big deal out of it. i just wanted to ask a simple question, to feel out if enough people thought they would be helpful that i would write to disney about it.

i didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.

geek

GeekChic I don't think anyone is angry on this post.

As a matter of fact I think your idea for a card activated elevator is fantastic. It could be done like the annual pass using finger tip or like on ships photo ID screen to prevent fraud.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter