Don't reccomend stargazing experience

johnkerryP

Mouseketeer
We did the stargazing experience while we were there, i think i remember its 49 pp extra. Do not reccomend it, the description tells of learning how using stars in navigation, as well as using a telescope, which seemed really interesting to us.

Instead we arrived to one digital telescope and one regular telescope with 15 other people or so, and taking turns as the lead pointed it to a planet, star, or whatever and then we looked inside the telescope. Did this about 6 times and then that was it.

Was it cool to see the planets? Sure. But this is not what was described and our local planetarium offers the same experience we got for free.

I did put this feedback on the survey.

Good info. I was thinking about this experience for my first visit to Aulani this summer. Doesn't sound worth the $49 fee

We did the stargazing experience while we were there, i think i remember its 49 pp extra. Do not reccomend it, the description tells of learning how using stars in navigation, as well as using a telescope, which seemed really interesting to us.

Instead we arrived to one digital telescope and one regular telescope with 15 other people or so, and taking turns as the lead pointed it to a planet, star, or whatever and then we looked inside the telescope. Did this about 6 times and then that was it.

Was it cool to see the planets? Sure. But this is not what was described and our local planetarium offers the same experience we got for free.

I did put this feedback on the survey.
I couldn’t disagree more! We really enjoy the stargazing, and try to do it almost every time we’re there. A few caveats: we’re not really interested in learning the mechanics of a telescope, nor in learning how to navigate on the open sea by the stars. And we never really go to our local planetarium either. We weren’t expecting any lectures, just a fun astronomical viewing experience. And we got it.

Maybe we’re just more intrigued by seeing up close various planets, galaxies, stars and such in the skies over Hawaii. For us they’re both beautiful and amazing, and it was fun learning interesting facts related to all the sights we were seeing. There is a learning experience involved, but, you’re right, they’re not teaching practical, hands on telescopic or navigational skills.

The astronomer also emailed each of us jpgs of everything we saw. There were a lot more than six. The $49 per person seems like a pretty good deal to me!

It should have a smaller cap like 8 people - 15/16 people is just too many. And for a family of 5 (for example) at $250 you are not getting enough in return.

We did a wonderful stargazing experience on the big island - but it was just a few people.

It should have a smaller cap like 8 people - 15/16 people is just too many. And for a family of 5 (for example) at $250 you are not getting enough in return.

We did a wonderful stargazing experience on the big island - but it was just a few people.
When we did it in May there were 7 other people in addition to my wife and I. I guess it varies session to session.

^ yeah, prob why OP had a bad experience- if it was double the amount of people

This is our first trip to Aulani (where we made an impulse DVC buy in on our last cruise)-- how far in advance can/should we be booking this experience?

Adding to this thread, were people able to see the craters on the moon? (Of course that will depend on moon stage, etc..) I think what might elevate this experience for us is how much easier it is to see stars in Hawaii than where we live. My son currently watches a TV show about moon craters over and over and would be delighted to see them. (Not sure if this is within the rules but would love to hear a recommendation for a different stargazing on Oahu if someone has one. Disney is lots of wonderful things, but it's never cheap.)

Adding to this thread, were people able to see the craters on the moon? (Of course that will depend on moon stage, etc..) I think what might elevate this experience for us is how much easier it is to see stars in Hawaii than where we live. My son currently watches a TV show about moon craters over and over and would be delighted to see them. (Not sure if this is within the rules but would love to hear a recommendation for a different stargazing on Oahu if someone has one. Disney is lots of wonderful things, but it's never cheap.)
I bet if it were a full moon and visible, the astronomer would show the craters. But the problem is that a full moon would also wash out the sky, making the other stars and astronomical bodies more difficult to see. You want the darkest sky possible, when the moon isn't out.

A cursory search on the internet for Oahu stargazing just sent me back to Ko Olina, so not sure there is anything better. The same team also does the star gazing at the Marriott down the beach.

Last edited:
I couldn’t disagree more! We really enjoy the stargazing, and try to do it almost every time we’re there. A few caveats: we’re not really interested in learning the mechanics of a telescope, nor in learning how to navigate on the open sea by the stars. And we never really go to our local planetarium either. We weren’t expecting any lectures, just a fun astronomical viewing experience. And we got it.

Maybe we’re just more intrigued by seeing up close various planets, galaxies, stars and such in the skies over Hawaii. For us they’re both beautiful and amazing, and it was fun learning interesting facts related to all the sights we were seeing. There is a learning experience involved, but, you’re right, they’re not teaching practical, hands on telescopic or navigational skills.

The astronomer also emailed each of us jpgs of everything we saw. There were a lot more than six. The $49 per person seems like a pretty good deal to me!
For what its worth I wasnt looking for a lecture or navigational skills either. Just something more robust than

"Here is jupiter. Lets take turns looking at jupiter."

"Here is mars. Lets take turns looking at mars"

And something that connected it all to hawaii, which is what the description said it was going to do.

You can do it cheaper by buying the Groupon and walking next door. Usually smaller crowds too.

We did this experience way back in September 2012 (our first trip to Aulani). We were lucky enough to have a small group, as there were only about 5 or 6 others in addition to my husband me. Similar to the OP, we were intrigued by the advertised description of the experience… However the leader didn’t say much at all about how the Polynesians used stars to navigate, etc. until near the end when I specifically asked about it. After I asked, he immediately became animated and started offering a lot of insights and information.

My guess is that the average participant is likely more interested in have fun time seeing the different planets and stars, and thus why the leaders focus on that aspect. We enjoyed it, but like the OP would have appreciated a bit more of the history, relevance to Hawaii, etc. YMMV

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter