Don't Laugh, but does the Slinky Dog Coaster make you queasy?

As someone who has a lot of motion sickness on rides, Slinky Dog isn't one I have to avoid or anything, but there are parts where I feel mildly queasy. The hardest part on this for me is the hard stop at the end, but it's not a lingering nausea that leaves you feeling yucky after you get off. Or at least it hasn't been for me.

I hated Slinky Dog the first two times I rode it (different trips), but now I like it a lot. The up and down part is the time I dislike the most. Over time, I've learned for me the difference is whether I sit towards the front or the back. Front is way better. (Same thing on Big Thunde, Space, and EE, so it might just be less intensity).

Barnstormer is a hard no for me. RnR too - although if I were guaranteed the front I'd give it one more try. I've only ridden it twice and the last time was in the last row 🤪

That's interesting about EE. The only time I didn't feel queasy or my equilibrium was off, was when I sat in the last car :scratchin

Hubby will not ride it again. He almost lost his lunch, literally, the one time he did ride. He can do Big Thunder and Mine Train without issue. I think, as stated above, it was the succession of little hills coupled with moving backwards.

Okay, I didn't realized it went backwards. I watched a POV on Youtube, but never noticed the backwards part. Better watch it again! The problem I have with EE, is the forwards-backwards-forwards again movement. Is slinky a smaller version of that? :crazy2:

I definitely had some queasiness issues after I rode Slinky. I found that if I sit near the front, where it's a bit slower, I can manage it. My son has some motion sickness issues. So, I requested to sit near the front and he did okay.

The back is definitely more zippy.

Slinky only does a very little backwards motion like its "winding up" to go for the next hill. I never had motion sickness before, but I got slightly queasy on the flight going to Orlando. I think maybe I need the chiropractor to adjust my neck (that usually is my issue). My first ride on Flight of Passage felt a little iffy. So after that I took a motion sickness pill in the morning each day and that prevented any issues during the day. You might want to use that as a preventative.

I haven't gotten sick on any rides at Disney (including SDD), but I am prone to motion sickness. I haven't really figured out why. Mine gets triggered from driving/riding in a car in the mountains, playing certain video games, or even watching some Youtube videos if the person is walking around with the camera. I do suggest taking some meclizine each night of your trip. It works as a preventative and does not make you drowsy.

I have equilibrium issues and typically can't do spinning or loops but am fine on straightforward coasters. So Space mountain is ok but TOT is not. With that said, SDD made me very close to legit sick but we were doing EMM and i rode it three times. I will not ride it again. But SM, BTMR, and Space M are all ok!

Okay, I didn't realized it went backwards. I watched a POV on Youtube, but never noticed the backwards part. Better watch it again! The problem I have with EE, is the forwards-backwards-forwards again movement. Is slinky a smaller version of that? :crazy2:
You know how playing pinball on a machine you pull back the shooter rod to send the ball down the track? That's the motion Slinky makes, like he's getting ready to be sent down the track.

I was fine on it until it hit one of those really low intense turns. It definitely made me queasy. I was mad because the rest of it was fine. Same thing with EE there is that one intense lower turn when going backwards ugh. But, I still go on it. I just have to relax for about 15 min after riding it.

DH got very green and unwell last time but i think it was because he rode it twice in a row which for him is unusual. he gets motion sick but never before that when he rode it once usually. since that experience he won't ride it again because he went back to the room for hours

I think there are other factors involved as well. For example, what did you eat prior to riding, or did you eat anything? Also how hot was it when you rode? Some things may cause the queasiness to be worse than at other times. I cannot ride certain rides like slinky dog on an empty stomach. I also don't ride these rides after a meal at Biergarten :laughing: I mentioned prior that the only time I didn't feel "off" after EE, was when I rode in the very last car, so even your location on the ride may factor in.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like we will either take a chance, or leave Slinky Dog for others to enjoy. Probably see how we feel once we get there :tiptoe:

Just a thought - if you think you might be able to handle it, I think you should go for it, just because Slinky is so much fun, and it might be the one coaster you can really enjoy. Hubby is like that - can't handle any of the others, but he can do Slinky.

And if you do want to chance it, there's a good argument for making it your last ride of the night. That way, if you do feel ill afterwards you won't have ruined your whole day, and also if you get in line just before closing the wait is often much lower than any other point during the day (and usually lower than the posted time too).

Considering I got queasy on Flight of the Hippogriff....I think I'd be the same with Slinky Dog! Oh well, one less line to wait in.

Just a thought - if you think you might be able to handle it, I think you should go for it, just because Slinky is so much fun, and it might be the one coaster you can really enjoy. Hubby is like that - can't handle any of the others, but he can do Slinky.

And if you do want to chance it, there's a good argument for making it your last ride of the night. That way, if you do feel ill afterwards you won't have ruined your whole day, and also if you get in line just before closing the wait is often much lower than any other point during the day (and usually lower than the posted time too).

Thanks, you make good points :thumbsup2

I take a motion sickness pill every morning, because I get queasy easily. So I did not get sick on Slinky. I just hated the ride. I didn’t like the big drop, the tight turns or the little up and down hills near the end. In my photo, I have my eyes closed and look like I have a mouth full of bitter lemon. It was a one and done for me. I do like BTMRR though.

Agree with the above, and want to add that SDD is best at night because of the lighting. Very cool!
A better ride at night .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter