• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dolphin or POFQ?

MammaMia 80s Kid

Earning My Ears
EDIT 3- I had cancelled and rescheduled POFQ (had to do one garden room, one standard since no more standards were available), as my original reservation had included a rental car and the deal had a policy of charging me a $200 fee for cancellation after 3/24.

The price of POFQ went up to $1092, and the Dolphin’s actual price is $1115. There is still the parking fee of $36/day after taxes, so that’s +$72 for a total of +$95, but I think the extra 180 square footage (1 room at 330 feet and the other at 480 at the Dolphin as opposed to 315 each at POFQ) , king instead of 2 queen beds for my parents, an additional 2 sofa beds with seating area in the alcove room and a rollaway bed (complimentary with the connectors), access to extended evening hours at Epcot/ability to have a more relaxed second day, location within walking distance and friendship boat access to two parks, and wider variety of resort amenities make the about $100 extra cost of switching to the Dolphin worth the price.

(*The actual price at the Dolphin is $100 less than quoted, as it’s a family connecting room deal and the website adds 2 extra person fees for $25/night each/$50/night (as the second room isn’t listed on the Marriott site), but I’m told that $100 fee won’t be on the final bill.)

I now have only the Dolphin reserved. I feel relieved about that.

EDIT 2: I kept checking the Marriott site and the Dolphin’s price dropped $37/night for my rooks and dates and the connecting combo I preferred became available!

I called back, got the price dropped by $74 (makes up for the parking fee), and had the room configuration changed to a 2 double
w/ sofa bed alcove (for my family of 5, 2 parents, 3 kids) connected to a king bed with sofa bed (for my parents).

Thank you all so much! I feel relieved and dropped the other Marriott reservations I had made (for Swan Reserve, 2 double rooms, etc.) and am going to cancel the POFQ one soon.
I’ll make a post with my new questions, but here they are if anyone on this thread feels like answering:

1. Do you think I should make all of our park reservations for MK (Sun. afternoon, Monday when we plan to go to EP Ext. Evening Hours, Tuesday when we check out and will leave the park around 8)?

*We will leave around 8 Tuesday to drive to the airport in our rental car-flight back at 10:50 p.m.-as we will be arriving by driving there from Sarasota on Sunday).

2. I am thinking MK fills up/gets blocked for reservations more than any other park and early entry is a great time to get on some long line rides, but I think we will possibly prefer to start at EP or HS on Monday and hop to the other park later-no MK Monday.

I just don’t know how Sun. afternoon and evening at MK will go. If we don’t get in the VQ for Tron that day, maybe I should try Mon. morning/will need reservations at MK for that and think EP or HS will not be likely to be full if we want to switch.

We plan to start at MK Tues. (and not visit there Mon.), but may want to change that to HS &/or EP after we are there if we get there on Mon.

2. Would you upgrade your tickets to PH? I’m thinking we will bc it’s relatively quick to PH between EP and HS.

3. Do you think it’s unwise not to make a reservation to start at EP on Monday in case it is full later? Is it possible we won’t be granted access on PH tickets of the reservations are full Monday?

ORIGINAL POST:

I currently have several reservations for our upcoming trip to Disney later this month for a Sunday afternoon through a Tuesday full park day that will end with us going straight to the airport for a late flight, but, our options have changed a bit. Now, the Dolphin is available both nights and I’ve made a reservation there (for 2 guaranteed connecting rooms), as well.

As our time is very limited, I especially want to minimize time transporting and standing in lines and maybe even try to plan for a little time to enjoy the pool on the second day.

For a 2 night, 2.7 day stay w/ 3 day park passes for a party of 7 (2 parents, 2 grandparents, 3 kids aged 9,
14, and 16), which of these would you choose?

1. POFQ-2 connected rooms $1042
2. Dolphin-2 connected rooms-a king w/ sofa bed alcove and 2 doubles $1298 (EDIT: +$72 after taxes for parking-resort fees are already included, and I do get Bonvoy points).
3. OKW-2 bedroom suite—1 K BR, 2 Q BR, pullout twin sofa bed and full sofa bed in LR, full kitchen, balcony w/ table $1526

If extended hours and walkability to parks were not factors, I would be completely happy with staying with 2 connected rooms at POFQ for my family of 5 (2 parents, 3 kids aged 9, 14, and 16) and 2 senior parents.

However, since our second day is a Monday, with a reservation at a deluxe resort (the 2 BR at OKW) or the Dolphin (the 2 connected rooms), we could gain access to Epcot’s extended hours/low crowds and plan a more relaxed 2nd day.

Also, with an add-on PH of +$400 for my family and +$150 for my parents (my dad only has a 2 day pass), we might even consider starting at HS on that second day w/ Genie + for Tower of Terror, Slinky Dog Dash, and maybe a few other rides, taking a lunch break, then heading to Epcot later since we would have access to Ext. Hours.

If we are at POFQ, I think I’d invest the $80-$180 in Genie + one or more for of our 2.7 park days and maybe even ILL for Tron. Idk about PH.

OKW provides plenty of space and allows us to use the magic bands to get into the room, but it’s huge and the transport is less efficient than POFQ and the Dolphin for Epcot (though the Dolphin transport is to the TTC-but we could walk to BW).

What are your thoughts? Thank you!!

Last edited:
Currently, MK for Sunday afternoon (starting around 3-4 pm when we get there), MK for Monday, and Epcot for Tuesday (checkout am and airport by 9:15 pm-exit 8:15-8:30 pm), but all reservations are green for the end of April right now.

Ordinarily, I'd say POFQ every time. Since Disney ruined the Contemporary with a tacky Incredibles theming, POFQ is our favorite resort.

But, given your tight schedule and the availability of extended evening hours to Dolphin guests, I'd go with the Dolphin. We recently did Epcot extended evening hours and it was amazing.

What’s the buses like at Dolphin now that they don’t use Disney buses? If you’re going to spend most of your time at the parks , I would lean towards POFQ.

I love PO theming but would and do now pick the Swan Dolphin when staying on property over any moderate. The TTC kinda stinks but honestly it’s the same amount of time if you walked over to BC for their busses. It’s not a deal breaker. You get the deluxe resort extra hours AND walk ability to Epcot and easy transport to HS. If you’re doing mostly parks for a majority of the day I think Swolphin is the only way to go. As a side note I would check to see if there is any availability for renting dvc points as OKW or SS may still have some availability for a short stay like that.

What’s the buses like at Dolphin now that they don’t use Disney buses? If you’re going to spend most of your time at the parks , I would lean towards POFQ.

They would get the friendship boats to Epcot and HS. So they’d only need the buses for MK and AK anyway. Could a Dolphin guest walk to BC or BW to get those buses to AK or MK?

I would say Dolphin. We just stayed at POFQ in February and I really missed the proximity to Epcot. It was so nice to walk there (we stayed at BC). I think the extra $200 and change is worth it for the location

Another vote for the Dolphin. Unless the people sleeping in the double beds/couch bed mind that a whole lot. I mean you can't beat the location. I think the TTC MK drop off isn't nearly as big of a deal as people make it out to be and you'd make up for it by being in walking distance of Epcot. Since you plan on spending so much time in the parks, I don't think the benefits of OKW make it worth the extra cost and the amount of savings is small enough to justify for the location upgrade from POFQ.

I love PO theming but would and do now pick the Swan Dolphin when staying on property over any moderate. The TTC kinda stinks but honestly it’s the same amount of time if you walked over to BC for their busses. It’s not a deal breaker. You get the deluxe resort extra hours AND walk ability to Epcot and easy transport to HS. If you’re doing mostly parks for a majority of the day I think Swolphin is the only way to go. As a side note I would check to see if there is any availability for renting dvc points as OKW or SS may still have some availability for a short stay like that.
Thank you!

I did have a reservation for a 2 BR at OKW, but it was over $500 more (it was a relatively great deal at $1526 with taxes and fees for the access to extended hours, 2 bedrooms and bathrooms with full kitchen and living area with balcony, and access to pools and quick service like Goods to Go and Olivia’s), but I didn’t think the massive size of the resort and long internal bus ride with 5 stops was worth the time in contrast to POFQ ‘s bus transport and the Dolphin’s walk ability and boat possibility in addition to its bus option.

We also are driving to Disney from Sarasota in a rental car, so at least one adult will likely drive to the TTC on the last day when we will go to MK to start (unless we change our minds and find availability at and want to live to another park that final day).

P. S. I’m lying to myself about how much more I would paying at the Dolphin than POFQ, as the parking fee there after taxes adds another $72 to the price at the Dolphin (in addition to the $246 on the room). However, if the 2 double bed alcove opens up availability again, this will cut $100 off the price at Dolphin.

Also, I was considering upgrading the POFQ rooms to Garden View to add building 5 to my room request (of not buildings 6 or 7 and close to the lobby and shuttle-so building 3), which would cost an additional $100 at POFQ.

I do like how the connecting room are guaranteed at the Dolphin.

*Does anyone know if there are microwaves available for public use at the Dolphin? I read somewhere they’re available on the 6th and 9th floors by the ice maker machines.

We are trying to save on food, and POFQ does have good options for breakfast and quick service with microwaves available for public use in the lobby or Sassagoula Steamworks. We will try to fill everyone’s bellies with mobile order quick service, a foray out to pick up Chick Fil A or Chipotle in the rental, and packed and in-room snacks as much as possible.

Last edited:
Another vote for the Dolphin. Unless the people sleeping in the double beds/couch bed mind that a whole lot. I mean you can't beat the location. I think the TTC MK drop off isn't nearly as big of a deal as people make it out to be and you'd make up for it by being in walking distance of Epcot. Since you plan on spending so much time in the parks, I don't think the benefits of OKW make it worth the extra cost and the amount of savings is small enough to justify for the location upgrade from POFQ.
Thank you!

We also will have a rental car (that does add $72 after taxes) since we are driving to Disney from Sarasota and at least one adult will drive that rental to MK-well, to the TTC-on the last day, as we are leaving in it, if we do keep that as the the main park that day.

Also, we can get a rollaway bed-and those doubles are extra large. My girls said they’d be fine on the pull-put in the king alcove with sofa bedroom of my family stays in there. My parents would be glad to take the 2 doubles one-or vice versa. Any two of us are fine in those big doubles.

Does anyone know if the Dolphin waives the rollaway bed fee for Marriott Bonvoy members?

P.S.
We also do stay at Marriotts often for my daughter’s swim meets. Within the past 1.5 years, I finally joined Bonvoy to start getting points for stays. We go to whichever chain has the team discount for my daughter’s (and the other 2 kids’) meets, so I belong to Hilton Honors, the Hyatt one, Marriott Bonvoy, IHG, and even one more. I have a smattering of points at each.

This stay will add points if we go to the Dolphin.

We really need to think about getting to Epcot and maybe HS on Monday, our only full day there, and the Dolphin is in a great location for that.

Last edited:
Also, I was considering upgrading the POFQ rooms to Garden View to add building 5 to my room request (of not buildings 6 or 7 and close to the lobby and shuttle-so building 3), which would cost an additional $100 at POFQ
We were a standard room and in building 3. It was a great location. I was happy with it. Could you just request that building so not to pay the extra

We were a standard room and in building 3. It was a great location. I was happy with it. Could you just request that building so not to pay the extra
Yes, I could!

Maybe we can still relax a bit at POFQ even without the extended hours at Epcot and still enjoy the parts of MK and Epcot we hope to experience.

*A question for anyone: If a park is out of reservations, does that mean guests can’t PH there?

*Another question for anyone: If we have PH, can we make ADR’s at a different park from the reserved one for after 2 pm?

*P. S. Feel free to ignore the extra info. below, and, anyone who reads this, please lmk if any of this sways you either way (POFQ or Dolphin) or if you have other advice for me.

At MK, we have no interest in character photo shoots/rides that are Mickey or princesses performing and are fine not riding a lot of the little kid/character themed rides.

We are really hoping to ride the following:
+Tron-need to be ready for virtual queue and have a reservation there before 7 am-then at 1 unless we pay for ILL, which seems exorbitant, +Seven Dwarfs Mine Train-it seems that will entail a crazy line unless accessed at early entry or the last ride of the night (or ILL-again seems exorbitant)
+rides we can make Genie + reservations for or that don’t have long lines anyway:
+Space Mountain (long line, early/late or Genie + would help)
+Peter Pan (long line, early/late or Genie + would help)
+It’s a Small World (often not so bad of a line)
+PhilharMagic (often not a bad line)
+Pirates of the Caribbean (sometimes a long line, early/late or Genie + would help)

The fireworks and parades are nice, but also great opportunities to ride, so we’d likely skip those if needed. Anything else is bonus-and, if we don’t do PH that day and get this all in, we may take a break or leave early.

At Epcot, we hope to experience the following:
+Soarin’ (usually a relatively long line)
+Ratatouille (long line)
+Test Track (long line)
+Gran Fiesta Tour (low wait time), maybe eating in Mexico
+that boat ride that rushes you backwards if it’s still there (is that in Norway?)
+walking around the world
+ maybe one drink or treat at the kiosks

I don’t know if the popular Frozen Ever After is worth it, as my 2 teen girls and 9 year-old boy aren’t super into Frozen.

Everything else at Epcot is bonus, as are the unique food opportunities there. I do have a few ADR’s, but they are at Epcot Tues., which we won’t do if we opt for the Dolphin.

If we invested in PH passes, I still wonder if would be worth it to try to make an early entry to HS with Genie + on Monday- for Tower of Terror, Slinky Dog Dash, Aerosmith Rockin’ Roller Coaster, and maybe that Star Wars ride, then head to Epcot that night. I think we’re okay not experience the Rise of the Resistance ride if it’s too long of a wait.

I haven’t seen Epcot out of reservations, but I do see MK and even HS unavailable some days coming up here.

Thank you to anyone who read all of this!

Last edited:
Yes, you can park hop after 2 pm even if no park reservations are available and make ADRs after 2 at a different park. Just have to go to park where your reservation is before hopping

Rocking Roller Coaster is down for multiple months as they do a refurb on it.

I'd probably go Dolphin with the extended hours being in play, without them POFQ all the way. The convenience of walking tot two parks and the extended hours perk is tough to beat. I last stayed at the Dolphin in Nov 2021, my tip is to walk to the boardwalk buses for MK. The S/D buses will drop you off/pick you up at the TTC. On the way back just go on whatever bus shows up first between yacht, beach or boardwalk and walk back to hotel.

The advantages for POFQ would be theming, beignets and the boat access to Disney Springs.

Yes, you can park hop after 2 pm even if no park reservations are available and make ADRs after 2 at a different park. Just have to go to park where your reservation is before hopping

Rocking Roller Coaster is down for multiple months as they do a refurb on it.
Thanks for this and the info. on the Rockin’ Roller coaster!

I'd probably go Dolphin with the extended hours being in play, without them POFQ all the way. The convenience of walking tot two parks and the extended hours perk is tough to beat. I last stayed at the Dolphin in Nov 2021, my tip is to walk to the boardwalk buses for MK. The S/D buses will drop you off/pick you up at the TTC. On the way back just go on whatever bus shows up first between yacht, beach or boardwalk and walk back to hotel.

The advantages for POFQ would be theming, beignets and the boat access to Disney Springs.
Thank you! I stayed there 10 years ago and never had a beignet. I want to know just how good are these things?

Anyway, if we stay at POFQ, I plan to have beignets and maybe some items we can prepare in our room and with use of the lobby microwave for breakfast on Monday before heading to MK, then light fare in our room before our one ADR for a late breakfast/early lunch at La Creperie on Tuesday.

I’m still feeling kind of torn.

Another vote for the Dolphin. Location is the #1 reason. Reason #2 is that I stayed at POFQ once (a long time ago) and it had the a/c unit in the wall, not central air. Unless that was changed in a renovation, POFQ is a "never again" location for me, despite its obvious charms.

Has anyone mentioned the extended evening hours TRON queue? If you're deluxe, there's a third 6pm virtual queue you can enroll in on those nights.

We went last week and had similar decision and went with Dolphin. Would do it again easily. Very easy to get to Epcot by foot or boat. HS we did both but would probably just boat since it is a bit further and no boat stops in between. Hotel is no theme at all but very nice. Given ages think not a big deal. Pool for our timing was closed at POFQ and is really good at Dolphin. Extended hours at Epcot were really nice. Honestly for 2nd trip of day to Epcot, though, we took a Lyft to the front of park and worked front to back ... We had our 2nd Guardians VQ and just made better timing / less walk to do it this way. Finished with Remy on way back to hotel.

We go fairly often and for the same reasons you're questioning your choice, is why we end up at Dolphin or Swan more times than on disney property in a moderate. It's so close and price and you get walkability/boat to two parks, the boardwalk and dining options. We really love POFQ/POR for the theming but you can't beat the deluxe amenities with S/D. EEH at Epcot are really great and for such a short trip, I think the extra cost is worth it. I wouldn't even bother with OKW for such a short trip, it's bus only to the parks and not worth the extra cost for such a short trip. Yes, the rooms are nice and big but unless you feel strongly about everyone being in one room, it's not worth the extra $.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter