Dollywood/WDW back to back trip comparision

mousefan73

Germans are faster at dubbing
I know you cannot compare WDW to Dollywood as they are apples and oranges, but I will do it!
We just came back home from our 3 week US trip which included Dollywood and WDW.. This American expate now living in Europe has been to Disney the past 5 years end of Aug/Sep and this year did our trip a bit different..

We started in flying into D.C. spent 3 days there ( tip: spend more) and drove to Sevierville where we rented a cabin 5 minutes from Dollywood. Spent 4 nights there then drove via I-95 to WDW.. Here we did our usual split stay. FD package at a value/moderate ( this time POP) and then room only at BC.. Disney total was 10 nights/9 park days with hopper.

Basics: price
WDW day ticket between 100-115 now I believe
Dollywood is 68 for 12 and older, but we got an end of Aug deal where everyone paid kids price which is 55. Plus your ticket is good for the evening before starting at 4pm. So you basically get a day and a half. parking was also 12 dollars I believe.

So my biggest question was also what is the difference in feeling? That is kinda of hard to pin point. So here are my key thoughts on Dollywood.

• Traffic is a mess when the park opens on busy days/weekends... There is only one main road/light that enters the park.. EVERYONE is driving.. You have no monorail, or buses ( there is the Dollywood resort bus, but the number of guests is minimal). So almost all guests are driving. At WDW you have traffic flows to parks spread out among different modes. Our cabin, was on the other side of the main road, so we skipped this mess.
  • Parking/trolley system. Just like disney and was fast... Overall much faster moving as IMO Disney over does their "safety" checking front/back guy, calling out" ok to go" etc.... safety announcments...
  • Security check and scanning same as disney... But with far less people... Actually this I can comment overall that Dollywood has faaar less employees simply standing about. At disney you have groups of CMS. Example each 4 set of MB scanners have about 3 CMS standing around.. Dollywood one.
  • It took me a while to get a grip on the layout.. no hub and spoke system. but more 2 main roads. when you walk in it's either left or right. after a half a day you get it.. There is also an incline in certain areas and nicely built in the mountains, more shade etc..
  • It you have a hot or rainy day, you are screwed.. We got so lucky end of Aug. was simply perfect of weather those days.. was hot but not FL hot and evening actually cool. Dollywood has almost no indoor attractions. half the shows are outdoors, only one indoor ride.. Disney you have many options that are indoors..
  • They really trimmed the fat on employees No employees standing around wishing you a magical day or simply waving or smiling. or kiosks selling things.. This means if you have a directional question it is really hard to find someone. Was a PIA at the beginning as I quickly wanted to ask where is this.. At Disney you have so many people to ask while walking by. Same with ride loading. People were doing double duty.
  • Many options to sit/benches... Disney please take a note on this!
  • You will get wet! They have 3 water rides.. One is like Kilamanjanro (sp) in Ak, but less thrilling purpose is to get wet I think.. Also log ride gets you soaked... There is one more that is fun, like a water sled.
  • Coasters rock! I honestly was not expecting so many intense thrill rides.. Take a look at their park map.. You will not get bored here. Funny thing was after Dollywood, the backwards part of Everest felt like nothing.. Disney does lack here. For the lack of other activities to do ( shows, exhibits like Hall of Presidents, or Living Land ex at Epcot), Dollywood makes up with Thrill rides.
  • They have a FP type of pass you can buy. Depending on season and how many people you have it may be worth it. We really did not need it, but we were slower season. We actually got lucky. my kids were waiting for me by the bathroom and some mom gave them her passes as her kid got sick and they had to leave... pay it foward!
  • Food was so so.. Funnel cake was great... we ate at Aunties Buffett. actually really cheap only 15 per person so for Disney a steal.. But the country buffet was ok... Cannot compare to Trail#s end, but for that price was good. Prices the same as Disney for the "QS" types.. MK for example has a lot more options.
  • Almost 99% sure the place is dry... which brings me to next observation.
  • If you love Jesus and want to wear it proudly go ahead and do it here !! Jesus T-shirts, church groups everywhere, Jesus is Great Lanyards worn by employees. I really realized I was in "God and Country" country.
  • Don't feel the need to dress up.. 99% of people were wearing workout clothes, much more than Disney, but Dollywood doesnt have any real expensive dining experiences that require looking decent.
  • The shows are good. My mom saw the one with Dolly's family and loved it. I saw the Dolly Story show, near the trainstop, that was cute.. I am not a country fan, so we focused more on rides.. but the music fits in the theming.
  • theming: Smokies/ country vibe.. Of course. the theming is nicely done.. Dollywood is not your typical 6 Flags but does have its own feeing/vibe.. It's fitting for that area and for us as tourists gave us that feeling of the local culture. the country folks there were super nice and friendly.. For us city folks a nice experience.
  • Lack of slower / show rides My mom rode the train and saw some shows.. But other than that, that was all she could do.. At WDW you have many options for slower paced, no sudden move rides. Things like People mover, IASM, PPF, or rides like HM, PoTC etc..... Dollywood is more thrill based rides. They do have a kiddy area which was nice.. Imagine putting Dinoland and part of Fantasyland together, they have for smaller kids.. Dollywood lacks in complete family ( baby to grandpa who can barely walk) "experiences"
  • Hardly any merchandising stores for rides.. I only recall the Eagle ride have a store you have to exit through.. WDW many rides have a store that is exclusivley its exit. Here is not the case. But Dollywood's only iconic image is Dolly Parton, there is plenty of that to buy, but WDW you have so much more theming with characters, movies etc.. to rides.
  • I saw only one scooter!!!!!!
So that is all I can think of now, if we are in the area again, it would be worth for us to go back. The kids are getting older and just want to repeat ride thrill rides.

Last edited:
We went to Dollywood in May 2016. Your experience was similar to ours. We enjoyed our day there, no need to spend more than a day but feel no desire to return unless I was in the area. Unlike Disney where I have returned many times. But again disney is much larger. I also agree that Disney lacks thrill rides, but I guess they don't feel the need to add more. As our kids grow, now 18, 15 and 11, I wish they had more thrill rides for them as they are roller coaster junkies. My oldest now opts out of Disney trips and we are returning in December 2018 so we can see Disney at Christmas but after that I think we are done until grandkids come along.

Thank you for the report! I've been wanting to go to Dollywood for years; interesting to see your observations. I'm surprised that the food was only so-so, I feel like people always rave about it.

Thanks for your observations. My husband and I spent a week recently in the Gatlinburg area in a mountain cabin. We didn't actually make it to Dollywood, however, you absolutely should love Jesus and guns. In no particular order. We rented a cabin from VRBO that had TONS of 5 star reviews. The cabin was wonderful and clean but you couldn't shake the religious vibe if you were blind. I sent my sister pictures of approximately 26 religious decorations including a hand carved "PRAY" over the microwave. As lovely as the cabin was, it creeped us out. In all of my vast VRBO dealings, I've never had this happen. The renter started talking religion the moment we sent in our cheque. Not one reviewer mentioned the overtly Christian vibe, except one to state that the owners were "good Christians".

As for guns, I have pictures of motorcyclists open carrying on the highway. People walking around with guns on their belts is not something we see around our parts, thankfully. Not trying to slam the area, the people were very good to us but we are one and done. Then there were the machine gun rentals by the hour billboards. Felt very out of place there although not one person was less than polite the entire trip.

We loved the time we spent a week in the Smokies. Sadly, we missed Dolly wood. Been still thinking of going one day. Would it work for my family though? My DH and DS like shows but no coasters while DD and I love coasters. We have stopped going to local amusement parks now that my DS14 is too old for the kiddie rides.

I've been to Dollywood many times, my Mama's family are from the north Georgia mountains so it's not that bad of a ride up there. As far as your comment about it giving you a feeling of the local vibe, it is nothing like the true local vibe. It's a tourist attraction and just as made up as a full size mouse walking around. The mountain people can be open and friendly but they aren't golly gee whiz people. Life is hard in the mountains and it is reflected in the people. Not every one carries a gun but a lot do own them, hunting is big in the south and in the mountains. It's not called the bible belt for laughs, when you don't have a lot of money your beliefs tend to get you through.

I am glad you generally enjoyed your time at Dollywood. I grew up going to Dollywood (it used to be Silver Dollar City when I was a kid) and have really enjoyed watching it change and grow over the years.

I do wish they had more slow, dark rides- and more show variety. There are a lot of thrill rides and quite a few kiddie rides, but not much in between. There is a lot of gospel and country. Dolly seems to be quite religious, and her park shows it for sure. But anyone of any religion can go and have a great time- there are tourists from all walks of life.

I adore the mountain setting and friendly people (although I will say, they are very slow, friendly people- Dollywood is not as big on efficiency as Disney is). :-)

I would suggest staying in the Dreammore Resort. It is a mini-version of a Disney deluxe resort- for a fraction of the price. The resort has beautiful, luxurious rooms with a variety of layouts to fit any family. Beautiful mountain views are there, but there are unfortunately no balconies (there are group balconies but no private balconies- though there are some private patios next to the pool). The on-site restaurant has delicious food and a great and reasonably priced breakfast buffet. The pool is quite nice, though small. It has always seemed to be plenty big enough for the resort.

They have kids activities, like sand art and t-shirt making, and they do evening fires with marshmallow roasts. In the summer time, you can see the fireworks from the resort. When we were there are Christmas, they had story time by the fireplace where kids wore their pajamas and listened to an employee read Christmas books.

The Dreammore also offers a free skip-the-lines system for guests at the resort. I am an onsite person- at Dollywood, Disney, and Universal. Just a lot of benefits on site.

As you pointed out PP, they are very different places. But they both do have some unique offerings and are definitely worth a visit.

Thank you for the review. Dollywood sounds just like Silver Dollar City in Branson! We wer just there last weekend and I kept wishing for more family rides like Disney.

Thanks for the comparison. I haven't been but thought about if for a trip for dh and I but just as a day out of a vacation to the mountains. We don't do thrill rides so it wouldn't be the destination for us, just one stop.

Dd and bf went this pst summer and had a ball. But they like thrill rides and really enjoyed the water park.

Thanks for your observations. My husband and I spent a week recently in the Gatlinburg area in a mountain cabin. We didn't actually make it to Dollywood, however, you absolutely should love Jesus and guns. In no particular order. We rented a cabin from VRBO that had TONS of 5 star reviews. The cabin was wonderful and clean but you couldn't shake the religious vibe if you were blind. I sent my sister pictures of approximately 26 religious decorations including a hand carved "PRAY" over the microwave. As lovely as the cabin was, it creeped us out. In all of my vast VRBO dealings, I've never had this happen. The renter started talking religion the moment we sent in our cheque. Not one reviewer mentioned the overtly Christian vibe, except one to state that the owners were "good Christians".

As for guns, I have pictures of motorcyclists open carrying on the highway. People walking around with guns on their belts is not something we see around our parts, thankfully. Not trying to slam the area, the people were very good to us but we are one and done. Then there were the machine gun rentals by the hour billboards. Felt very out of place there although not one person was less than polite the entire trip.

There's a "machine gun rental" billboard directly across the street from where we stay at Disney LOL

LOL! I would be freaked out too and I am Catholic! Our cabin was Bears. Bear lamps, shower curtains, clocks... Only Thing missing was the bear head on the wall!

Dollywood has a church too. Very cute. we went in and "toured" it like a Cathederal in Europe. they had biblical drawings, but when you look close they were actually quilts. quite interesting.
Crowds were actually big Sat. evening and we were joking Sun before has to be dead and most likely most guest are still in church.. Well Sunday was quietert!
Our only gun experience freaked me out. We stopped at some reststop on the way over to I-95.. either N or S. Carolina. I was Standing with my DD at the vending machine and asked some guy if he was waiting.." No Ma'am" very polite.. then I noticed he was a dorky looking guy dressed in a polo and too large docker trousers but was wearing some gun Holster belt with a gun. Was wierd, like hey I am a dork but I gotta gun... Do These states have open carry... I was freaked out, did not feel safe and left right away. The only guns I ever saw were my Uncle's hunting rifles and those were locked up!

Thanks for the comparison. I haven't been but thought about if for a trip for dh and I but just as a day out of a vacation to the mountains. We don't do thrill rides so it wouldn't be the destination for us, just one stop.

Dd and bf went this pst summer and had a ball. But they like thrill rides and really enjoyed the water park.
if you are into Country Music and Dolly Parton, there should be enough for a whole day.

LOL! I would be freaked out too and I am Catholic! Our cabin was Bears. Bear lamps, shower curtains, clocks... Only Thing missing was the bear head on the wall!

Dollywood has a church too. Very cute. we went in and "toured" it like a Cathederal in Europe. they had biblical drawings, but when you look close they were actually quilts. quite interesting.
Crowds were actually big Sat. evening and we were joking Sun before has to be dead and most likely most guest are still in church.. Well Sunday was quietert!
Our only gun experience freaked me out. We stopped at some reststop on the way over to I-95.. either N or S. Carolina. I was Standing with my DD at the vending machine and asked some guy if he was waiting.." No Ma'am" very polite.. then I noticed he was a dorky looking guy dressed in a polo and too large docker trousers but was wearing some gun Holster belt with a gun. Was wierd, like hey I am a dork but I gotta gun... Do These states have open carry... I was freaked out, did not feel safe and left right away. The only guns I ever saw were my Uncle's hunting rifles and those were locked up!

I just looked at the laws & TN does have open carry, but a license is required - their law is considered "middle of the road" as many states are less restrictive, while others are more so.

if you are into Country Music and Dolly Parton, there should be enough for a whole day.
LOL Dh more than I so yeah probably would spend a day. I like going to Bluegrass performances when I am in the mountains. Funny thing is I can't stand bluegrass at home but love to hear it from locals in TN.

Oh we had the bears too. Lots and lots of bear motif. That's what I was bracing myself for when I rented the cabin from looking at the pictures. I did make sure there was no animal head on the wall before I rented. That wasn't easy since most cabins do.

192 & I-4 - 8 minutes from the EPCOT parking lot.

Closer than where we often stayed. I haven't been there in a few years though. Never saw a machine gun rental by the hour billboard in my life. I don't even want to know why someone needs to rent a machine gun for an hour.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter