• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Doing the happy dance :)

Everything is ok now! Rang WB Studios and changed the booking to the 24th. Got confirmation email. Thank goodness for my obsessive over-planning, otherwise I wouldn't have picked it up.

Rachel, glad your daughter is ok.

Happy packing everyone!!!

Hey Rachael and Gogo - I HOPE YOU BOTH HAVE A FANTASTIC TRIP WITH YOUR FAMILIES!!!

3 sleeps to go for me. Feeling quite concerned though. The main reason we moved back to Sydney from Perth was bc my FIL is very ill with cancer. He has grown progressively weaker since we've been back, but now he is sleeping most of the time, and he is no longer seeing the doctor, and is under palliative care instead. It's a sad time, and what worries me is that he may pass away while we are in the US. I need to check my Travel Isurance Direct policy to see if we would be covered should we need to fly home early, Does anyone have experience in this?

Hey Rachael and Gogo - I HOPE YOU BOTH HAVE A FANTASTIC TRIP WITH YOUR FAMILIES!!! 3 sleeps to go for me. Feeling quite concerned though. The main reason we moved back to Sydney from Perth was bc my FIL is very ill with cancer. He has grown progressively weaker since we've been back, but now he is sleeping most of the time, and he is no longer seeing the doctor, and is under palliative care instead. It's a sad time, and what worries me is that he may pass away while we are in the US. I need to check my Travel Isurance Direct policy to see if we would be covered should we need to fly home early, Does anyone have experience in this?

Sorry to hear that Hedispidi, I have no advice on insurance. *hugs*

Hey Rachael and Gogo - I HOPE YOU BOTH HAVE A FANTASTIC TRIP WITH YOUR FAMILIES!!! 3 sleeps to go for me. Feeling quite concerned though. The main reason we moved back to Sydney from Perth was bc my FIL is very ill with cancer. He has grown progressively weaker since we've been back, but now he is sleeping most of the time, and he is no longer seeing the doctor, and is under palliative care instead. It's a sad time, and what worries me is that he may pass away while we are in the US. I need to check my Travel Isurance Direct policy to see if we would be covered should we need to fly home early, Does anyone have experience in this?

My aunt and uncle had to come home for that exact reason from an Alaskan cruise. They had the cruise organise their flights and claimed them when they got home. They ran into a little red tape as the insurance company said they should have contacted them and they would have arranged the flights. So if the worst happens (fingers crossed it doesn't) I'd make sure to ring the insurance company to check how they want it handled before doing anything.

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope that both your FIL is okay and your trip is uninterrupted.

I have a friend who almost didn't leave on a trip (she left yesterday) for a similar reason. If her MIL passes while they are away she will not be covered as it was a pre- existing condition. i.e. They knew she was sick when they booked the trip.

If you FIL has only become very I'll since you booked the trip, you will probably be okay. If not, hopefully your Travel Insurance has more flexible policies than my friend's does.

I don't think they cover travel home if the death was expected, also if the patient is over a certain age (I suppose after a certain age it would be classed as expected).

We leave today :cool1:

Once the kids are at school, we have to go to an appointment for my DH, take our dog on a 1 hr drive to the kennels, and once back have to pick up our US$ from the bank.

Pick up the girls from school at lunch time (12.30) and Mum is taking us to the airport just before 2. Flight Christchurch - Auckland departs 4.05pm, AKL - LAX departs at 7.40pm and we arrive at LAX at 12.55pm Friday.

We will pick up our rental car at LAX, drive to our rental house, go to the supermarket then maybe Disneyland, or if not DTD for dinner.:goodvibes

How exciting Rachael, you have a very busy Friday x 2 ahead of you! I wish you a happy flight and a wonderful holiday :)

Thanks all for your input. My FIL is under the age stated by my insurer (which is 85, if my memory is correct). I booked the trip 8 months ago, and while he had cancer then, he wasn't doing too badly. *sigh* We will cross that bridge if we come to it, I guess. We are having an early Easter lunch with my MIL and FIL tomorrow before we leave on Sunday, so if the worst does happen, at least we will have had that time with him. It's like it was with my parents so many years ago, you just don't know when its going to happen :(

Hey Rachael and Gogo - I HOPE YOU BOTH HAVE A FANTASTIC TRIP WITH YOUR FAMILIES!!!

3 sleeps to go for me. Feeling quite concerned though. The main reason we moved back to Sydney from Perth was bc my FIL is very ill with cancer. He has grown progressively weaker since we've been back, but now he is sleeping most of the time, and he is no longer seeing the doctor, and is under palliative care instead. It's a sad time, and what worries me is that he may pass away while we are in the US. I need to check my Travel Isurance Direct policy to see if we would be covered should we need to fly home early, Does anyone have experience in this?

How exciting Rachael, you have a very busy Friday x 2 ahead of you! I wish you a happy flight and a wonderful holiday :)

Thanks all for your input. My FIL is under the age stated by my insurer (which is 85, if my memory is correct). I booked the trip 8 months ago, and while he had cancer then, he wasn't doing too badly. *sigh* We will cross that bridge if we come to it, I guess. We are having an early Easter lunch with my MIL and FIL tomorrow before we leave on Sunday, so if the worst does happen, at least we will have had that time with him. It's like it was with my parents so many years ago, you just don't know when its going to happen :(

I hope you have a fantastic trip, you won't be covered for your FIL illness by insurance it will not come under an unexpected event, I hope you don't have the need to try and use it, have a great time pixiedust:

We leave today :cool1:

Once the kids are at school, we have to go to an appointment for my DH, take our dog on a 1 hr drive to the kennels, and once back have to pick up our US$ from the bank.

Pick up the girls from school at lunch time (12.30) and Mum is taking us to the airport just before 2. Flight Christchurch - Auckland departs 4.05pm, AKL - LAX departs at 7.40pm and we arrive at LAX at 12.55pm Friday.

We will pick up our rental car at LAX, drive to our rental house, go to the supermarket then maybe Disneyland, or if not DTD for dinner.:goodvibes

Hope the flight went ok rachael:thumbsup2
Left Disneyland all perfect for you, I left LAx at 1015, just before you arrived. :goodvibesHave fun

11pm at night, in our rental house enjoying a quite wine.

Our flight arrived around 1pm and it took until 5pm to get rental car and drive to our house. We drove to supermarket and had a quick stop at Arby's for a quick dinner and then we did a drive past DLR. The kids saw Mickeys fun wheel, the top or the Cars land mountain range, tower or terror and California Screaming. We then saw some of the fireworks from our house.

We are all primed for a full day at disneyland tomorrow.

Our flight arrived around 1pm and it took until 5pm to get rental car and drive to our house. We drove to supermarket and had a quick stop at Arby's for a quick dinner and then we did a drive past DLR. The kids saw Mickeys fun wheel, the top or the Cars land mountain range, tower or terror and California Screaming. We then saw some of the fireworks from our house.

Awesome, hope you have a magical time:cool1:

Happy you made it there safely Rachael! Enjoy your first day at DL!

We fly out tomorrow. Last minute packing etc happening, just stopped for dinner. DD11 had drama bc she owns no good clothes and she has to fold her US money to get it in her wallet. But it's ok now, I think! Pick-up 10am tomorrow for our 1:40pm flight!!!

We did thank you, I won't type it up again, but I have been updating our blog :)

293days.blogspot.com

Heidispidi is there now, just sent me photos of their fantastic view of DCA from the Paradise Pier hotel so I am jealous!! They had a great afternoon in DCA after arriving, am sure she'll be on here to give an update (but is probably ready for a good night's sleep first especially since they are getting up for 7am early entry in the morning).

Glad you are there and already sounds like in holiday mode:thumbsup2 Have a wonderful time, looking forward to pics and trip report.

We fly out tomorrow. Last minute packing etc happening, just stopped for dinner. DD11 had drama bc she owns no good clothes and she has to fold her US money to get it in her wallet. But it's ok now, I think! Pick-up 10am tomorrow for our 1:40pm flight!!!

Have a magical time, fingers crossed FIL remains ok. Also looking forward to trip reports and photos:banana:

Seeing as I'm awake at 2:15am, I thought I'd give you a brief update on our trip so far.

So flight took 12.5 hours, so fast. But still OH so long! None of us slept much, although I liked VA more than Qantas. Food good, liked the cheese toastie snack! Was quite bumpy in parts. Driver from Lansky / DK Livery was waiting for us and was very good and courteous, and we had our grocery stop. Checked in to PPH and they gave us a room straight away but it wasn't great. The tint on the window was all bubbly and you couldn't see out properly (1140). So I rang to complain and they moved us to 1326, which has clear windows and a better view. So I'm happy now! Went to DL to activate PP+ and bought a corn dog bc we were all starving. Didn't go on anything in DL but went to DCA. Got TOT FP then rode TOT, quoted wait was 40 mins but took less than 20. Then went on Cal Screaming' wait time was 20 mins but more like 10. Walked back to TOT and used FP, stopping at Starbucks for a drink and collecting Soarin' FP on the way. Had a pizza at Naples and then went to use Soarin' FP. but the ride broke before we could start and maintenance had to let us out as the belts wouldn't release. Got a special FP to use due to the breakdown so went straight back around to FP entry and after maybe a 20 min wait, the ride was back up, with us on it. Early night for us, heard the fireworks but couldn't see them from our room. Wanted to get out of bed to see WOC from our window but couldn't drag myself out of bed!

My highlight of the day was my DH. He has never been a ride person. But he was brave and came on everything. On Cal Screamin', I saw that he had his eyes screwed tightly shut. I encouraged him to open his eyes to look at the view, and he did :) And he wants to go back on again!

My plan of attack for EE in a few hours is to ride TSMM maybe twice, then get over to Carsland so that the others can do Mater and the other ride (memory is no good) while I'm staking out FP for RSR. I hear they aren't letting you line up during EE for FPs, but I will be there, ready to pounce LOL.

Loving the people-interaction, seems everyone wants to talk to the Aussies in line LOL. A couple of American women were talking McLeods Daughters with us in the line for TOT!

OK I'd better try to go back to sleep. Don't be expecting updates of this length everyday, I don't plan on being jet-lagged beyond today!

Glad you arrived safely, sounds like you already packed alot in on your first day. :goodvibes Glad your DH enjoyed the ride, my DH doesnt like rides either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter