Doing Disney overweight

febdisney

Earning My Ears
My family is going to Disney next month. I have never been (my dh has years ago) and neither have my children. I am overweight (size 24) and am wondering about larger people riding the rides. I would like to be able to ride some rides with my daughter. I am concerned about the seat sizes as well as any bars that might come across you (lock into place) to secure you in the seat.

Any information will be helpful. Thank you so much!

there's a whole faq for people of size on allearsnet.com. I also am size 24 and have had no trouble.

I'm a big gal too. I can ride everything; in fact, Disney's accessibility to people who are large is part of the reason I will always be loyal to the mouse.

The only things I have a bit of trouble with are the turnstile at Haunted Mansion and getting in and out of Space Mountain. You sit pretty low and if you are like me won't be all that graceful. :) Have fun, and don't worry!

there's a whole faq for people of size on allearsnet.com. I also am size 24 and have had no trouble.

I jusat got back... unfortunately, I have ballooned to 6'1 and 380 lbs (although I still wont rent an ECV gosh Darn it). I was terrified I wouldn't fit... I have had it happen at IOA and at Six Flags. Had no troubles with Everest, with Rock and Roller Coaster or with Tower of Terror. Disney goes out of there way to make it safe for all and to let most people ride the ride. I am sure some can't fit, but the vast majority can.

FWIW, my little brother got back from IOA recently. He said they have changed some of the rides to accomodate Pooh sized patrons. SOme of the rows of the roller coasters have been changed to accomodate big people. Nice to see it.

FWIW, my little brother got back from IOA recently. He said they have changed some of the rides to accomodate Pooh sized patrons. SOme of the rows of the roller coasters have been changed to accomodate big people. Nice to see it.

Thanks for that info. I've avoided IOA because there is nothing worse than the embarassment of not fitting onto something. Maybe we'll give it a try.

Thanks for that info. I've avoided IOA because there is nothing worse than the embarassment of not fitting onto something. Maybe we'll give it a try.

I would still call them to verify this. I have not visually seen it. Is there anyone out there that can confirm this?

I would still call them to verify this. I have not visually seen it. Is there anyone out there that can confirm this?

There are definately seats on the Hulk and Dueling Dragons for people of size.
I was there in October.

You could always go over to the Universal Boards. There are some topics about this already.

Darla and I are both Pooh sized (24 & 28 respectively). We had no problems during our last trip but are both a bit nervous about Everest and Mission Space. The places with tight turnstiles normally have gates right beside them, just go thru the gate instead of the turnstile. You may have to have a CM open the gate, but I have never had one make a comment or ask why, they just quietly opened it for me. I had trouble with the turns at Country Bear, Small World and Haunted Mansion.

Relax, enjoy and have fun.

I am also pooh sized. I road Everest last July with no problems at all. It was one awsome ride... So, go and have a great time...:scared1:

I love the idea that I am Pooh-sized - I've never heard of that before and shall always think of myself that way now :rotfl:

I've rode most of the rides in Disney and have never had an issue - and I am more like a size 26/28. The only thing, as some of the other people here have said, is that some turnstiles can be a bit snug - Country Bear Jamboree and Haunted Mansion (both in MK) are very snug fits! But I still got in. You do learn to perfect going through turnstiles on your tippy-toes :lmao:

Seriously, I've never been on a Disney ride that was a problem - don't worry about it!

And for the record I have done Tower of Terror, RocknRoller Coaster, Mission Space, Test Track, Soarin, Space Mountain (not very easy to get out of!), Spaceship Earth, Haunted Mansion, Everest, Kali River Rapids (this was a tight fit with me and my fiance sharing a double seat who is also Pooh sized, but we still fit!), Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, and loads more.

Hope this sets your mind at rest a bit

Miranda
(Worried I am more heffalump sized than Pooh sized!)

Wow glad to hear the IOA is accomodating larger people. I don't know if I would have fit or not but there was NO WAY I was going to try in the seat they have right near the entrance to the ride. (surrounded by a crowd of people!) I am chest challenged- my larger chest gives me problem with overhead kind of straps. And no thanks I won't be sqeezing them into a overhead strap to try it on with an audience....

I'm size 18-20. I find that some rides get tight, I guess you could ask Disney. I suggest not bringing anything extra on the rides it's difficult to schooch a backpack down between your legs onto the floor. Splash Mountain was a tight ride. The bars do tend to be adjustable.

Good Luck, Enjoy

Nadine

Just one thought about safety, though. I don't know how old and what size your children are, but if you should pair up with a small child, the rides with lapbars didn't seem to me to be safe for the small passenger. Although I was glad that I could fit all the rides, I became concerned with my child's safety in rides with lapbars because my legs were much larger than a child's and the lapbar only goes down as far as the top of the largest person's legs. Thank God nothing happened; but I definately didn't do those rides twice, if you know what I mean. :goodvibes

I too am about a 24 and I had a horrible experience at Six Flags where I got on this ride with my son and friends and you all sit in a row and this bar closes. Well the bar wouldnt close because of me and all of the people on the ride had to wait while they tried to close it, plus all of the people standing in line waiting there turn. I ended up having to GET OFF. It ruined my whole day!:sad1: ANyway, I worried when I went to Disney in 2003 and to my delight, I was able to ride EVERYTHING with no problems. GO and enjoy yourself!!
Marie

We traveled with a man who is 6'8" and over 400 lbs. on our last trip and he was able to fit in every ride. :) He had trouble on his first ride on Rockin' Rollercoaster in that he was too tall for the overhead restraint and they didn't fit comfortably. When we got off a CM told him that there's more leg room in the front seat, so he requested it the next time and sure enough, he had a comfy ride that time. So, you can always ask, too, if there's a seat with a little more space if you're nervous. :) They were great about accomodating our party.

I'm Pooh sized and have been going with DS since he was 8. When I was worried about both of us fitting together safely, I would ask a CM. We have never had a problem. Now that DS is older, I go to the World by myself and ride and ride and ride. The only thing is, I think I have finally gotten too old for Space Mountain, it just isn't as fun as it used to be.:confused3

I'm a size 16 and I find some of the turnstiles are akward...I always dread going through them...and I have to turn sideways. This year we had the stroller so alot of times I got to bypass them. Yippee!!

My husband and I both rode Astro Orbitor together once and we literally got STUCK in that ride. Two adults should not ride one car reguardless if you re pooh size or not. That was super uncomfortable and luckily I think we were the only two that knew we were stuck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter