Doing carnival after only DCL

It’s sad only because we do truly love DCL.
We truly love WDW but also did Dollywood last year. Loved it. Would we repeat it like we do WDW? No but we enjoyed ourselves. We originally had carnival booked. My DS 12 was super excited as that ship had tons for his age. We don’t need characters, nice to have but our kids have seen/done that so many times at the parks. We dis book DCL as the price was then right.

Ok, this is very sad, but we are thinking of taking a carnival cruise. DCL has just priced us out but it is the only cruises we have ever taken. ( 3night wonder, 5 night dream and 7 night fantasy) we are considering a 5 night on the carnival fantasy out of Mobile. While I know it won’t be as nice or magical, what have others experienced (good and bad) doing a different cruise. We are not gamblers nor do we enjoy going to clubs. It would be me, DS11(will not do kids clubs regardless) possibly DD25, and parents (71). Any advice is appreciated
You’ll find my review of the Carnival Vista on the comparison thread that was quoted earlier in this thread. With that in mind, I’ve done 5 DCL cruises with the 6th coming up in June. Also done 3 Carnival cruises, all Vista and have 4th, Horizon - 2019, and 5th, Panorama - 2020, booked already. We are huge fans of the big Carnival ships, but don’t know if we’ll ever try the Fantasy Class ships. We may do a quick 3 nighter out of Long Beach. I guess what I’m trying to say is, I don’t know if a Fantasy class ship is your best bet after the Disney ships. If I was in your shoes, I think I’d take the extra time to drive to New Orleans to catch the Carnival Dream or Triumph. The Dream has an amazing Cruise Director, who does his own stage show one night during the cruise and is an amazing singer.

I honestly love both lines but for different reasons. I feel like when I’m on Disney, the CM’s are entertaining me they entire time, when I’m on Carnival, I feel like I’m a part of the entertainment, there is much more staff/guest interaction. Case in point, the sail away party. On DCL, we watch it from the side while the CM’s sing and dance. On Carnival, we are singing, dancing and laughing with the entertainment staff, they’re all out in the deck with us.

I think the biggest question to ask yourself is do you enjoy cruising or do you enjoy Disney cruising. If you just flat out love cruising, you’ll be fine on Carnival. If you’re a love Disney Cruising person, you’ll hate Carnival. I fell in love with cruising on DCL, but I just love to cruise now. I’m pretty sure I’d be happy on any cruise line.

(...)
I am sure we will have a great time this summer, but I am already looking at RCCL for my next cruise. Disney is not a good enough value and Carnival seems to be trying too hard to be 'fun', at the expense of being classy.

I believe longer Carnival cruises are more quiet. I've done 4 nights and 6 nights and experienced the opposite of a party atmosphere... In fact, it was just a perfect amount of fun yet relaxing.

I'm sure a lot less people are taking the alcohol package on those too (who is willing to put 1000$ on booze for a whole week vs 250$ for a three nights cruise?) as for being classy, I would invite you to take a look at the experience you can get on a new ship like the Vista or the Horizon. Take a look at the Steakhouse, Jiji Asian Kitchen and Cucina del Capitano experiences. The Chef's Table too. Even Bonsai Sushi is quite nice. The MDR remind me of Triton's when it comes to the ambiance.

I don't go to bars but there is always one that is more of a "lounge/piano bar" too.

On my last Vista cruise, I stayed in a Cloud 9 Spa cabin. I would say having access to the thermal suite the whole week sure felt like a little bit of luxury to me. Their spa was just as good as the Rain Forest.

I believe longer Carnival cruises are more quiet. I've done 4 nights and 6 nights and experienced the opposite of a party atmosphere... In fact, it was just a perfect amount of fun yet relaxing.

I'm sure a lot less people are taking the alcohol package on those too (who is willing to put 1000$ on booze for a whole week vs 250$ for a three nights cruise?) as for being classy, I would invite you to take a look at the experience you can get on a new ship like the Vista or the Horizon. Take a look at the Steakhouse, Jiji Asian Kitchen and Cucina del Capitano experiences. The Chef's Table too. Even Bonsai Sushi is quite nice. The MDR remind me of Triton's when it comes to the ambiance.

I don't go to bars but there is always one that is more of a "lounge/piano bar" too.

On my last Vista cruise, I stayed in a Cloud 9 Spa cabin. I would say having access to the thermal suite the whole week sure felt like a little bit of luxury to me. Their spa was just as good as the Rain Forest.

I am happy to realize how lucky I am, not only because I am getting a free cruise (spoiled, I know), but that it is on a line that I would have otherwise considered off limits for me. I can see the absolute value in what we will be getting. We will have 7 nights in a balcony room for cheaper than 4 nights in an oceanview cabin on the Dream. We will be sailing on the Carnival Magic, which seems about the same size and age as the Dream, so the comparison should be fair.
As a result of this cruise, there will be two likely outcomes. One is that I find Carnival to be delightful, and will save thousands in booking future cruises. The other is that it is not to my liking, and then I will try another cruise line like RCCL or MSC (Their new ship looks awesome). I know I will not be returning to Disney at least until their new ships come out, and that is coming from a lifelong Dinsey fan, because I just do not see the value in paying so much more just to get a little more than what other lines are offering.

It’s sad only because we do truly love DCL.
Some of us, anyway. I’m in the “like quite a bit” category.

I think the biggest question to ask yourself is do you enjoy cruising or do you enjoy Disney cruising. If you just flat out love cruising, you’ll be fine on Carnival. If you’re a love Disney Cruising person, you’ll hate Carnival. I fell in love with cruising on DCL, but I just love to cruise now. I’m pretty sure I’d be happy on any cruise line.
Very well put. I think I’m like you in this regard - love cruising, so I think I can find a way to enjoy myself on any ship.

I am happy to realize how lucky I am, not only because I am getting a free cruise (spoiled, I know), but that it is on a line that I would have otherwise considered off limits for me. I can see the absolute value in what we will be getting. We will have 7 nights in a balcony room for cheaper than 4 nights in an oceanview cabin on the Dream. We will be sailing on the Carnival Magic, which seems about the same size and age as the Dream, so the comparison should be fair.
As a result of this cruise, there will be two likely outcomes. One is that I find Carnival to be delightful, and will save thousands in booking future cruises. The other is that it is not to my liking, and then I will try another cruise line like RCCL or MSC (Their new ship looks awesome). I know I will not be returning to Disney at least until their new ships come out, and that is coming from a lifelong Dinsey fan, because I just do not see the value in paying so much more just to get a little more than what other lines are offering.

The Magic looks very nice. It's on the list of Carnival ships I would love to try (with Sunshine, Conquest, Horizon and Panorama). :)

If you feel like it, you could post a review/comparison on the Carnival thread? We do not have a review of the Magic, yet. I would be very interested in reading it. :)

Or, they have decided based on their own travel experience, that Disney is a better fit for them.

No need to get nasty.
There are a few people on these boards that have tried other lines and feel DCL is a better fit. I don't think she was being nasty....just pointing out the obvious. The majority though have not tried other cruiselines.

As for myself I like Carnival and Disney. My teens like the clubs on DCL better. They liked the food and the Carnival ships better. I think you can have a great time on Carnival, but I would stick with the new bigger ships. The Vista and Carnival Horizon look amazing.

I like the idea of the Imax theatre. There is a charge, but you actually get to see first run movies that aren't Disney movies for kids. I haven't tried either yet only because I'm not interested in the Caribbean. When I'm ready to go back to the Caribbean for the Umpteenth time one of those ships will be my first choice. I've heard there next new ship the Panorama will be the west coast.

If you can do gluten, try the pasta bar for lunch on the first day - it's one level above the buffet at the aft of the ship. They make the food to order (and they have the softest rolls and a nice Caesar salad that you can also order).

One of the things I love about Carnival is the made-to-order Lido deck food. The buffet is fine (generally themed to a different culture each day - Caribbean, Italian, Mediterranean, American etc.) but the variety of food that is put together how you want it (burritos, burgers, pasta, deli, wok) is really outstanding. Much better that the pre-made stuff on other lines. I also really like the pod set up - each day I choose something different to try.

Oh, and the seaday brunch in the MDR is great - filet mignon and eggs, funny French toast (crusted in cereal - love the frosted flake one) and eggs benedict with salmon (or ham).

And the Magic has hot tubs on the ocean plaza (deck 5) - they are a lot less used than the ones on the Lido deck - not unusual that you could find one empty.

And the comedy club - check for times and comics - they will rotate throughout the cruise.

And Dive in movies - don't forget to pick up your free popcorn (or hey, grab a sandwich from the deli :rolleyes1)

We just returned from a Carnival cruise over spring break. We have done three Disney Cruises and I have been on two Carnival. I was impressed by our last cruise. I was prepared for a loud, party cruise with it being spring break, but I didnt' feel it was that way at all. They did have two sail away dance parties by the pool, but those were only an hour or so and avoidable. My kids actually enjoyed dancing in them for a while. The decor isn't as classy as a Disney cruise, but it was clean and updated. It was also 1/3 the price of a similar Disney cruise. We were able to do some shore excursions that the kids loved with our savings.

I would sail Carnival again. It sounds like you are prepared for it not to be exactly like Disney, so you may be pleasantly surprised like I was.

I just noticed that you'll have Pig & Anchor on the Carnival Magic. I am 100% jealous right now. That BBQ is absolutely delicious.

It want a party atmosphere though. How is the entertainment??

The entertainment on Carnival is different but can be enjoyable. Not the huge production shows of Disney or the dedicated movie theater, but they do have Singing and Dancing, and some fun "game show" type things. And of course trivia, etc. So there is plenty to do, just nothing like Beauty and the Beast or Aladdin. There is comedy, but I found even the "family" show to be a bit more adult than I'd want for some aged kids. YMMV. The key is finding something that appeals to you. For example, PP mentioned the piano bar. This is right up my ally. I don't care for Kareoke (which they also had) but singing along with a group is great fun for me. As a different poster mentioned, Carnival entertainment is often more interactive, which can be a lot of fun, even if you'd prefer to watch. And you never know, if you show up at a deck party to watch, and start tapping your foot, you might be dancing and singing before you know it!

Have fun!

One other note, about the "party" atmosphere. Sure there were people drinking, but it wasn't pervasive or crazy. There were people of all ages everywhere and they seemed to get along with each other pretty well. At least, that was our experience.

There are a few people on these boards that have tried other lines and feel DCL is a better fit. I don't think she was being nasty....just pointing out the obvious. The majority though have not tried other cruiselines.

As for myself I like Carnival and Disney. My teens like the clubs on DCL better. They liked the food and the Carnival ships better. I think you can have a great time on Carnival, but I would stick with the new bigger ships. The Vista and Carnival Horizon look amazing.

I like the idea of the Imax theatre. There is a charge, but you actually get to see first run movies that aren't Disney movies for kids. I haven't tried either yet only because I'm not interested in the Caribbean. When I'm ready to go back to the Caribbean for the Umpteenth time one of those ships will be my first choice. I've heard there next new ship the Panorama will be the west coast.

I just noticed that you'll have Pig & Anchor on the Carnival Magic. I am 100% jealous right now. That BBQ is absolutely delicious.

Thanks for the encouraging advice. And yes, I will make sure to post a comparison of the two ships when I return (will not be until Mid August). I think I would be the perfect sort of person to compare these two ships on a Disney site, because I will be going on this Carnival cruise with a bit of a skeptical viewpoint. Of course I will be looking for a good time, but am also curious to see why their cruises are so much cheaper than Disney's. If they could charge so much more for a cruise, they would, so I will have to find out for myself if the difference between the two cruise lines, and other ones, is worth the savings in money. Even if the difference between the two ships is significant, I am sure I will still have an incredible time.

I am with you. We currently have a spring break 2019 cruise booked with Carnival. 2 people inside cabin 7 nights for $1300 total. A cruise the same week on Disney was only 5 nights in an inside for $3331. That $2K plus difference will pay for the soda package, airfare, excursions, spa etc... with plenty left over. I am very curious to compare for myself the pros and cons. I know it won't be "Disney" but in my opinion any cruise is a good one! My daughter will be 13 when we cruise so we will see how it compares to DCL for teens too. We just did our 6th DCL cruise 2 months ago so we know what DCL is like. Plus we are sailing from Galveston so the airfare is cheaper than Florida for us. Getting to visit 2 new ports (for us) is just icing on the cake!

Carnival and Disney are both great and different. We have been on a 4 day Carnival cruise (old ship: Inspiration) on spring break and a 5 day Disney Magic cruise on spring break. My favorite part of the Disney cruise was chilling on Castaway Cay with a tropical beverage and that is what the Carnival cruise was for me. Disney was much more activity driven with us going to movies and shows. To me it was like a trip to Disneyland versus a trip to the beach and I have a hard time comparing the two.

I loved them both overall despite there being a few letdowns and even a couple of "cringe" moments on both. They just are not the exact same experience. We have also cruised Princess and have a Disney Wonder cruise this New Year's and looking at the new Carnival Panorama for spring break 2020.

Last edited:
Thanks for the encouraging advice. And yes, I will make sure to post a comparison of the two ships when I return (will not be until Mid August). I think I would be the perfect sort of person to compare these two ships on a Disney site, because I will be going on this Carnival cruise with a bit of a skeptical viewpoint. Of course I will be looking for a good time, but am also curious to see why their cruises are so much cheaper than Disney's. If they could charge so much more for a cruise, they would, so I will have to find out for myself if the difference between the two cruise lines, and other ones, is worth the savings in money. Even if the difference between the two ships is significant, I am sure I will still have an incredible time.
Carnival has more ships. They could not charge what Disney charges and fill their ships. Disney is expensive because it's Disney. I think you will have an amazing time. It's always fun to try a new ship or a new itinerary. The only thing that would get me back on DCL Caribbean cruise was if I won a free cruise. I can't do the same thing over and over again.

I am with you. We currently have a spring break 2019 cruise booked with Carnival. 2 people inside cabin 7 nights for $1300 total. A cruise the same week on Disney was only 5 nights in an inside for $3331. That $2K plus difference will pay for the soda package, airfare, excursions, spa etc... with plenty left over. I am very curious to compare for myself the pros and cons. I know it won't be "Disney" but in my opinion any cruise is a good one! My daughter will be 13 when we cruise so we will see how it compares to DCL for teens too. We just did our 6th DCL cruise 2 months ago so we know what DCL is like. Plus we are sailing from Galveston so the airfare is cheaper than Florida for us. Getting to visit 2 new ports (for us) is just icing on the cake!
What ship will you be on? My teens LOVE Carnival, especially the food choices.

We are now tossing up either the 5 day out of mobile or the 5 day out of New Orleans with carnival. As long as there is a pool and a slide I think DS will be happy. As for me. I just like the peace of being warm and on the water. We don’t spend a lot on excursions typically. One of our best ports was st Martin, we just went to the beach by the boat and had a great day. Just hope my parents have a good time. They really loved the shows on DCL. Thank you everyone for all the comments good and bad.

My family did 9 Carnival Cruises before going to any other Cruise Line. We then did DCL with one RCCL cruise in between doing 5 more DCL cruises. Here is how I would rate the Cruise Lines based on experiences...

1. DCL
2. RCCL
3. Carnival

My Dad has since done Norwegian and Princess Cruises, and he says he would rank them above Carnival as well.

Now, my family liked Carnival a lot, but we had nothing to compare it to. I am now not going to go back to Carnival UNLESS the price is right. However, I would be willing to spend a couple hundred more dollars to cruise RCCL, because they offer a nicer form of cruising in my opinion. I am not the "party" type of person, and RCCL has a lot of options for people especially if you go on their bigger ships. Carnival is really trying to get on the same level by adding a lot to older ships or coming out with brand new ships. I just don't know if what Carnival is doing is going to get me on any of the ships again.

In terms of DCL, RCCL is more like a DCL cruise, but still doesn't hardly compare. It's hard for me to compare Carnival to DCL.

I know it sounds like I am bashing Carnival, but here is how I compare the 3 cruise lines...

- I don't like walking through a casino filled with smoke like on Carnival. It's really hard to escape the casino on Carnival. The casino on the RCCL ship we went on was way out of the way that I didn't even know it existed for a while. DCL doesn't have a casino.
- The food on DCL is the best in my opinion. I actually didn't like the food on RCCL as much unless we paid for the extra restaurants. I always thought the food on Carnival was good until we went on DCL.
- DCL wins in entertainment hands down followed by RCCL. I compare Carnival shows to Las Vegas style shows. Some things are not appropriate for the "younger" crowd. I also liked Carnival back when they had a live orchestra during their shows. Now they are starting to get away from that. The one entertainment thing I liked on Carnival is they actually have a dedicated comedy club on most of their ships (not sure if it is on all of them or not). I really enjoyed that once I was old enough for it.
- In terms of ships...It's honestly going to depend on which ship you go on. I wouldn't go on an older Carnival ship. I would only possibly give the newer ones a try. The one RCCL ship we went on was nice. DCL ships are definitely the cleanest and the most beautiful in my opinion.
- I never liked the kids clubs on Carnival, so I never did them after my first cruise. I have no experience with RCCL or DCL kids clubs.
- In terms of staff...DCL wins in this for me. RCCL and Carnival are about even in terms of staff in my opinion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter