Doh!! I think I was scammed!!

I've done a little digging too...

The kiosk is called Jose Eber Hair Style. The product is a PYT ("Pretty Young Thing") flat iron. When I look into both, they are completely separate entities. So, I'm wondering who "corporate" is? Is it Jose Eber's company (which sells it's own line of straighteners)? Or is it PYT?

I also read on PYT's website that their lifetime warranty is void for products purchased online. In order to register the product, you have to have the Authorized Retailer number which is printed on the receipt. Here's what mine looks like...

2012-08-03234838.jpg

As you can see, the retailer has printed over the Authorized Retailer number which is required to register for the lifetime warranty that I was told about. Had I opted to keep my product, I would have been unable to register for the warranty with this information. You can also see that the item I purchased was, in fact, a gift card.

I also found my "gift card"...

2012-08-03235638.jpg

As you can see, it is for only $47.17, despite the fact that I paid $50 for it. I covered the actual code number for security purposes.

:sad2:

I wouldn't be surprised if the email you sent went to the girl that sold it to you.

I would suggest you do not buy it on ebay or amazon they make counterfeit of those products so I would stay away from those websites if you are looking.

On Amazon, there are Jose Eber straighteners available direct from Amazon itself, not sold through a third-party. I highly doubt they would be counterfeit in that case. And they are still the significantly reduced price that the OP mentions.

Here's what mine looks like...

2012-08-03234838.jpg

You know what I also don't see marked anywhere on that receipt? Any sort of "employee discount". In every retail place I have worked, an employee discount shows up on the receipt in such a way that you can see the original price, the % discount, and the adjusted price. So, yeah, she was definitely scamming you.

I don't know if this is illegal or a scam per se but I do think it is clearly deceptive sales practices. The tax issue is an interesting one and I would follow-up on that angle. The other thing that i found disturbing about the receipt is that it does not show a price for the item you have on layaway. I have never done layaway, so maybe i don't understand, but I thought the point was to get the product you want at the price you are agreeing to when you put it on layaway. A previous posted mentioned that she did not see an employee discount. Given that you officially bought a gift card, i can sort of see that. My question is, when you went back to finish payments would they have given you the product for the $100 you agreed to or would you be stuck paying the full $150. My guess is they would make you pay $150 before you got it, because you have no proof of the $100.

On Amazon, there are Jose Eber straighteners available direct from Amazon itself, not sold through a third-party. I highly doubt they would be counterfeit in that case. And they are still the significantly reduced price that the OP mentions.

The problem with that is that some people buy then and return and replace it with counterfeit products I had that happen before. It also voids the warranty.

I would contact my CC company and dispute the charge. You did not authorize its use to purchase a gift card (which you didn't even receive it sounds like). You authorized a charge for a layaway down payment (which it sounds like you also didn't really receive.)

Depending on w here you get with "corporate" maybe try a tv news troubleshooter? The one we have in our area seems to focus on deceptive practices and this sounds like something right up their alley - no signage on the refund policy, gc instead of layaway, tax on a gc....

I got sucked into buying the same flat iron a couple of weeks ago at the Jose Eber kiosk. I have never purchased anything at a kiosk on the spur of the moment like that before, but the stylist had my curly hair so flat straight that I couldn't even believe it. He started out at $125, and I purchased it for $85. I don't know if what was done to you was legal or not, but it is a fantastic flat iron. Granted, I can't make my own hair look like the guy did, but I can come pretty darn close! If you can't get your money back, use it and enjoy it - it is a great product. Oh, and the no return policy was stressed to me before purchase.

Check this out...this is the e-mail I received in response to the message I sent to the gmail address on the back of the business card...

Kristen, I m sorry for your inconvenience .
It is sad that you describe you love the product you was introduced and the reason you don't want to buy the tool cause your husband don't like you to have a one professional salon styling tool that does curls , straight , crimps, all in one with free lifetime warranty on it ,so he wouldn't bother buy you any tool all your life even it is the customer fault you will get full coverage insurance for it .

There is sign that says no refunds near the cash register in all our 200 location in the state and also in your receipt .

The layway payment comes as a gift card , how ever you will be refunded after we discussed about it in our board . We want our customers or potential customer happy. Please come to one of our location in grand rapids area and get your money back . You will have to contact mr lior Cohen at 7738440042 our region manger before you come cause he is the only one that technically can do it .

We hope you will talk to your husband and show him the product you want . And he will understand the ionic technology that our tools works .
We wish you great summer time and happiness .
Best regards , Jose eber styling tools .

:sad2:Aye, the English is reminiscent of the messages I keep getting from my long-lost Nigerian uncle's attorney:rotfl2:. At least it gave me a phone number for the regional "manger"...

I think it is funny how the letter makes it seem like *I* am the one dying to have this product and my husband won't buy it for me. It was actually a gift for my 6yo DD!

I'll follow up on Monday. I wonder where that area code is...definitely not in Michigan.

The problem with that is that some people buy then and return and replace it with counterfeit products I had that happen before. It also voids the warranty.

But who would do that when the legit product here costs the same as the counterfeit? Besides, you'd run that risk at any place that allows returns. Can't imagine it happens that often, and if it did, I'd just return the problematic item I received. Just like when I pay for the current edition, US version of a textbook from them - I would not accept receiving an old edition or international version instead.

Why did they keep mentioning your husband? You never mentioned him at all here, is there a reason you didn't show is a copy of the email you sent?

Ok.. if the register doesn't have a layaway/deposit button then they aren't offering a layaway. She was talked into a layaway.. when all it was, was a gift card. That was never mentioned. The sales girl knew if she said "Oh buy gift cards until you can afford it!" the OP would have said "No.. I'll come back when I can afford it" so she presented it as a layaway program. It wasn't.

She was also not told all sales were final until the sale was final. Which isn't legal.
I have ALWAYS been told in retail when all sales were final because they have to tell you.

So there's strike number two.
I'm willing to bet she worked on commission and was getting really creative to make her sale. It's going to be a matter of he said/she said OP.. but dispute the charge and pursue it with mall management.
You were duped.

Stores can offer layaway without a button on the register for it. The type of register a store has hasn't any bearing on anything. There are stores that hand write receipts still.

That email is offensive and yet hilarious in like 16 different ways.

Call the mall and get this sorted out with management, have them take it up with the kiosk and report it to the bbb as well. Their sales tactics are unethical and they lied to you. The warranty will be void and the email you got was no help at all. Don't bother calling the Chicago number. I imagine you already disputed this on your credit card at this point. T his may end up being a 50 dollar lesson for you. I would leave reviews online everywhere.

that email is hysterical :lmao: at least they gave you a good laugh - geez, they pretty much said your husband doesn't love you enough to let you have anything good, seriously?!!
i do think you should take photos of the kiosk ASAP showing that there are NO signs indicating final sale. as pp said, dispute the charge (i would base the dispute on the lack of signage), notify mall management, etc

good luck! (hey, if it makes you feel any better, we were scammed out of over $10k at a nissan dealership. DH signed 2 papers, and they forged his signature on the rest. the attorney general researched and convicted them for doing the same to many others, to the tune of hundreds of thousands of $'s.......of course, the owner transferred his assets and declared bankruptcy. the AG paid the lower amounts from what money they could get first, so there was nothing left when they got to us and a few others. nissan corp refused to get involved, btw, another reason for us to never give them a dime).
i wouldn't trust them until i saw the money totally refunded - keep the dispute open, and keep collecting evidence.

There is sign that says no refunds near the cash register in all our 200 location in the state and also in your receipt .

WOW! There are twice as many Jose Iber styling tool kiosks in Michigan than there are McDonalds! :laughing:

The layway payment comes as a gift card , how ever you will be refunded after we discussed about it in our board . We want our customers or potential customer happy. Please come to one of our location in grand rapids area and get your money back . You will have to contact mr lior Cohen at 7738440042 our region manger before you come cause he is the only one that technically can do it .

The Michigan Attorney General site I posted previously would be a great place to contact too, especially since the "Gift Card" is for less than the stated amount which seems to be flat out illegal. It being "tax" is really wonky and seems illegal too.

I have found a lot of those Mall Kiosk's are run by foreign investors and many are counterfeit. When Pillow Pals where popular, they were trying to sell them at a Kiosk and they were so fake! A lot of the salespeople don't speak english well (or pretend not to). Obviously they don't write it well either!!!:rotfl2:

I seriously doubt this place is connected with Jose Eber at all. If they were then they would probably spell his name correctly! That was the first thing I noticed with the receipt- His name has an accent over the e in Jose, not between the E and the b in Eber. :sad2: My guess is that they are selling knock off products-- like selling a Couch Purse ;) Combine the misspelling with the Nigerian like email and I would be running as fast as I can to my credit card company and to the mall management. I would also send a little note to Jose Eber's people through his legitimate site and let them know what this place is doing. They may be very interested.

ETA: I would also get back to the kiosk ASAP and very discreetly snap a photo (phone is great for that) of the register area showing that there is no sign. My guess is that it is too late and the owner will have already made sure that it has been either uncovered or rehung. I wouldn't bother calling the Regional Manager, it is probably the same person or his brother/brother in law/ bff . If their business address is a gmail address then it is a fly by night scam operation. I would have been more concerned about doing a layaway/gift card because I would be afraid they won't be there the next time I went back.

After reading that email I'm having flashbacks of the kiosk's in the mall that try to sell you lotion, spa products or hair products that literally chase you down trying to get you to take a sample. Or ask you "Can I ask you a question?" to get you to stop. I avoid them like the plague, often walking all the way around not to get stopped! They all seem to employ workers who have English as a 2nd language too. :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter