Dogs and Fireworks

ottawamom

The "Air Miles" Lady
For all the dog lovers out there. What do you do with your dog when fireworks go off unexpectantly (ie last night May 30). Last year when our dog was a puppy I used to feed him treats on fireworks night to desensitize him to the fireworks. It worked last year and he was fine last summer. This year we've only been through one weekend of fireworks and he just paces the house for hours after fireworks go off. He doesn't want treats, attention, anything.

I can close the windows on the actual (approved) night and turn the tv up louder and that works but then someone in the neighbourhood sets them off at midnight. He's up and pacing until he's so exhausted he finally sleeps.

Any tips or tricks I can try.

I'm lucky that my own dog is completely unfazed by fireworks - we live right down the street from a baseball stadium and a major tourist site, and there are a LOT of fireworks in the neighbourhood. However - my neighbour swears by doggy CBD and a thundershirt. The CBD can kick in as quickly as 30 mins and he just chills right out.

Thanks Mel, those look promising and just herbs. That's reassuring for me.

Not yet. Niko is a very furry beast and putting something on him in the summer months might cause him to overheat.

Not yet. Niko is a very furry beast and putting something on him in the summer months might cause him to overheat.
My brother has a very furry big dog and lives in a southern state with very hot summers. His dog is scared of thunderstorms and firecrackers too. They got him a thunder shirt and It Works and he doesn't get too hot in it. He remains calm and doesn't get worked up over the noise anymore with the heavy shirt. Do you have air conditioning? If so he should be okay with the shirt, IMO>

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter