• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dog sitting was not what I thought it would be like

BBM Those 2 statements are contradictory. Either she incorporates the dog into their household, but isn't doing it correctly according to you, or she gives it food and water and otherwise ignores it. No matter what she does or says, I don't think you'd be happy with what she is doing. She got a poorly trained dog who's owners are irresponsible and is doing the best she can with the mess she has to clean up, both literally and figuratively.

This is my view of it and some of the lectures she is receiving about this is what she should expect is she takes in a dog are somewhat offensive. I appreciate being passionate about animals, but the OP sounds like she has been put in a bad situation for being a good Samaritan. The advice she is receiving may very well be correct from a dog training perspective, but the OP is really just a "friend" whose owners dumped their pet on her while they are on a two week vacation. This dog is peeing and pooping on her personal property and disrupting her household. While it may not be the dogs fault, I am not so sure the OP needs to commit to training the dog either. Where is the outrage at the owners who basically dumped their pet?

This is my view of it and some of the lectures she is receiving about this is what she should expect is she takes in a dog are somewhat offensive. I appreciate being passionate about animals, but the OP sounds like she has been put in a bad situation for being a good Samaritan. The advice she is receiving may very well be correct from a dog training perspective, but the OP is really just a "friend" whose owners dumped their pet on her while they are on a two week vacation. This dog is peeing and pooping on her personal property and disrupting her household. While it may not be the dogs fault, I am not so sure the OP needs to commit to training the dog either. Where is the outrage at the owners who basically dumped their pet?
What's offensive is reading page after page of complaints about something that is the result of misunderstanding.

So when people post here, are we all supposed to only give answers the OP wants to hear?

I've acknowledged the OP is a kind person. I've given my responses respectfully. Sorry you don't like them, but if it helps a dog or two along the way, then I'll take the tongue lashing any day.

What's offensive is reading page after page of complaints about something that is the result of misunderstanding.

So when people post here, are we all supposed to only give answers the OP wants to hear?

I've acknowledged the OP is a kind person. I've given my responses respectfully. Sorry you don't like them, but if it helps a dog or two along the way, then I'll take the tongue lashing any day.

I didn't say I did not like your responses There are plenty of threads that I do not agree with the OP. This is not about not agreeing with someone's point of view.

I just find it interesting that people are lecturing the OP as though she has no clue what she is doing with the dogs (determined from a vent thread) and that it is somehow her fault that she is in the situation and should be doing much better than she is. I am just saying that I do have some compassion for the OP.

I didn't say I did not like your responses There are plenty of threads that I do not agree with the OP. This is not about not agreeing with someone's point of view.

I just find it interesting that people are lecturing the OP as though she has no clue what she is doing with the dogs (determined from a vent thread) and that it is somehow her fault that she is in the situation and should be doing much better than she is. I am just saying that I do have some compassion for the OP.
But that's exactly what happened in reverse to the owners of the dog - they didn't train the dog, they didn't crate train the dog, some nerve they had doing this to the OP, etc. Vents and critiques can go both ways.

It's quite probably, that the puppy behaves very differently at home with it's family. OP does the dog know you or your dog?

It's stressful for a pet to be away from their family AND familiar surroundings. We have sitter come to our house. Much easier for everyone involved

I think both parties did not understand what was happening.

Yes, I think the owners of the Yorkie should not have gone on the trip in the first place. The puppy is only six months old and is high maintenance (both because of age and breed). At that age, the owners should be around as much as possible to give stability and consistency in the puppy's life. This in turn helps with training and helps the puppy become a well-adjusted dog. But, I do not think that they lied about the puppy's capabilities. The behavior the Yorkie is exhibiting is classic of stress and confusion.

Yes, CookieandOatmeal is a very wonderful and caring person for taking care of the Yorkie even though it is a handful. But it is a puppy. As CookieandOatmeal has stated before, the amount of care needed for this dog has exceeded her expectations (partly because it sounds like she only has experience with Golden Retrievers). She is now biting the bullet and learning that when you take care of a puppy for this long, you are also taking on the training, the set-backs, etc.

Thank you very much CookieandOatmeal for sticking with this puppy and not taking it to a kennel. Even though the Yorkie is giving you a terrible headache, you are giving her stability, communication and training that she would not get at a kennel. Even though she is playing and romping around, she is feeling a little homesick for her owners and is giving you trouble. I know you probably wont see the benefits you are teaching her with the short amount of time you have with her, but it is making a difference in the long run in the puppy's life.

OP, when the owners come back please be honest about how it went. They should know honestly so that in the future they can help the pup get over its challenges.

On a funny note, a friend of mine got a shi-poo and mentioned a few times that she was having trouble potty training it and was ready to get rid of her little pup. It was her first dog. Another friend and I gave her some help, but told her she needed to contact a proper trainer because it seemed like the really needed to start back at the beginning and build a foundation (e.g., the dog refused to pee outside, only inside on rugs, and she was trying to train the dog to pee on the toilet...for real). She got a little help and said things were better, and she wasn't going to give up the dog after all.
Fast forward six or eight months, she called needing a dog sitter for the next day for a family vacation after her sitter fell through. I sent her to my dog trainer, someone very experienced who works with high-risk rescue dogs and someone who has really helped our boys develop nicely. She took the dog, and when she came by the following day to walk our dogs, she told me the following:
-the dog is only fed veal, almonds and fruits and vegetables, and will not eat from a bowl, only fingers
-the dog also came with candy treats (real sugar, real multi-coloured Skittles-like candy)
-the dog was 80% unpotty-trained
-the dog was sooooo happy playing with other dogs, but it looked like she had never met another dog at all. No manners, no idea how to hang with other dogs.
-the dog was significantly overweight
-the dog had no idea of the leash and was scared of it.

My trainer took her on and did the best she could - and asked the owner what changes she would like. My pragmatic trainer friend said she would only work on the things the owner wanted worked on, because if the owner didn't follow up, there was no point. Except the candy, she threw that out. So she worked on socializing and potty training.

My friend called me in a panic because she asked for a progress picture of the pup and was worried because the dog was grubby. I assured her it was because the dog was getting exercise outside and that my dogs came home from the trainer often grubby and tired, and they often went in the creek, but I promised her I would check up. Indeed, her little pup loved going in the creek with the other dogs and was having a ball being a dog amongst dogs, but I quietly told my trainer friend to make sure the dog was clean when she was picked up. LOL. When my friend went to pick up her pup after 3 weeks, she was so upset that the dog was running around with other dogs and didn't make much fuss that she was there. And the dog had dirty paws. And she was a little lighter. No mention of the dog being much more consistently potty trained, having fun being a dog, her strange feeding routine was honoured, and having been safely kept in a home environment. My point was the my friend was so out of touch with what the dog needed, and loved her little dress-up pet. TO each their own, I guess.

OP, when the owners come back please be honest about how it went. They should know honestly so that in the future they can help the pup get over its challenges.

On a funny note, a friend of mine got a shi-poo and mentioned a few times that she was having trouble potty training it and was ready to get rid of her little pup. It was her first dog. Another friend and I gave her some help, but told her she needed to contact a proper trainer because it seemed like the really needed to start back at the beginning and build a foundation (e.g., the dog refused to pee outside, only inside on rugs, and she was trying to train the dog to pee on the toilet...for real). She got a little help and said things were better, and she wasn't going to give up the dog after all.
Fast forward six or eight months, she called needing a dog sitter for the next day for a family vacation after her sitter fell through. I sent her to my dog trainer, someone very experienced who works with high-risk rescue dogs and someone who has really helped our boys develop nicely. She took the dog, and when she came by the following day to walk our dogs, she told me the following:
-the dog is only fed veal, almonds and fruits and vegetables, and will not eat from a bowl, only fingers
-the dog also came with candy treats (real sugar, real multi-coloured Skittles-like candy)
-the dog was 80% unpotty-trained
-the dog was sooooo happy playing with other dogs, but it looked like she had never met another dog at all. No manners, no idea how to hang with other dogs.
-the dog was significantly overweight
-the dog had no idea of the leash and was scared of it.

My trainer took her on and did the best she could - and asked the owner what changes she would like. My pragmatic trainer friend said she would only work on the things the owner wanted worked on, because if the owner didn't follow up, there was no point. Except the candy, she threw that out. So she worked on socializing and potty training.

My friend called me in a panic because she asked for a progress picture of the pup and was worried because the dog was grubby. I assured her it was because the dog was getting exercise outside and that my dogs came home from the trainer often grubby and tired, and they often went in the creek, but I promised her I would check up. Indeed, her little pup loved going in the creek with the other dogs and was having a ball being a dog amongst dogs, but I quietly told my trainer friend to make sure the dog was clean when she was picked up. LOL. When my friend went to pick up her pup after 3 weeks, she was so upset that the dog was running around with other dogs and didn't make much fuss that she was there. And the dog had dirty paws. And she was a little lighter. No mention of the dog being much more consistently potty trained, having fun being a dog, her strange feeding routine was honoured, and having been safely kept in a home environment. My point was the my friend was so out of touch with what the dog needed, and loved her little dress-up pet. TO each their own, I guess.

This story reminds me of "Nugent" in the "All Creatures Great and Small" books.

I own a yellow lab and a toy yorkie. My yorkie is almost three it in a lot of ways what you described. We trained her as much as we can. At three it seems to be an ongoing procedure. I know she is high maintenance and she is a big bully to my yellow lab who may be to easy going. She always takes what is his. she goes by the philosophy what yours is mine what mine is mine. We dog sit quite a bit but don't really ask other to take care of ours for that reason. BUT I know my dogs may act out a little more when we are not around because they have a touch of separation anxiety.

OP, we have had 2 yorkies over the years and they are very high maintenance! Ours is now 13 years old and we just love him to death, but at 13 he is almost a couch potato and that is what we have become use to.

I was around a friends 2 puppies and I came home and told DH that when something happens to our dog, there is now way we could handle a puppy! You get comfortable with your dog and don't realize how much harder other peoples dogs can be.

I understand your frustration. I have a very old cat who is high maintenance and I pay a lot of money to board her at the vet or have a vet tech come by my home when we go out of town. I couldn't expect my friends to manage all of that. I think we may minimize the amount of day-to-day work we do to care for a pet when we are excited about a trip. It's the critter who suffers the most when the caretaker is not fully prepared physically and emotionally for the realities of caring for that animal. I try to be very honest about these things because it is my job to make sure it goes smoothly.

Have you tried WEE WEE pads, they do work. Maybe putting treats in her crate might help. I really feel for you.

I understand your vent, and think it's nice that you're not taking the dog to a kennel. I'd be counting down the time, too, until the owners get their dog back.

You're almost done. :goodvibes

Thank you to those who understood that I was just super frustrated and overwhelmed by the demands of this little dog when I posted this weekend. Venting and getting my feelings out did help a lot and allowed me to get back on track. Today marks the second day with no accidents and she even rang the bell to go out to poop! :dogdance: I think she is starting to assimilate into our household and have caught on to our routine. My golden is still super tired from entertaining the puppy and the puppy is still as barky and energetic as ever. Don't worry- my dog gets a lot of alone time from the puppy each day. But there are times now where she'll just snuggle up to my dog and they'll both take a nap. So cute! They are still sharing and playing well together. We are still trying to get her to stop jumping/pawing at us/my dog when she wants attention. I've noticed small dogs tend to do that when they want your attention.

I will let the parents know when they come back that she had a difficult time for the first week and that she had quite a lot of accidents. Whether it be stress or a need for more potty training they can decide on that themselves. In the end, I really don't know how much training this puppy has had and at this point, it really doesn't matter any more. She now knows sit and lie down. We discovered yesterday that she knows how to roll over! Whenever we ask her to do a command like "paw" she rolls over. Basically if she has no idea what you want, she rolls over lol. And teaching her how to walk well on a leash is a lost cause. It does take time to teach so I'll suggest to the parents that they might want to work on it. She also has separation anxiety which I'm not sure her parents recognize because they did acknowledge that she cries when they leave for work. They can probably work on helping her conqueror that. I don't think I ever said this but her parents are first time dog owners who wanted to get a goldendoodle but ended up with a yorkipoo when they saw her in a pet store. I learned a lot with my first dog and I'm sure they are in the same journey.

While this has been difficult at times, I did learn a lot about little dogs and their needs. It's definitely been interesting but not something I want to repeat. She'll definitely be back for play dates but no more sleepovers for sure. I don't feel that stressed anymore and for that I'm grateful. I can actually sit back and enjoy the company of "my" dogs. :flower1:

Last edited:
OP, we have had 2 yorkies over the years and they are very high maintenance! Ours is now 13 years old and we just love him to death, but at 13 he is almost a couch potato and that is what we have become use to.

I was around a friends 2 puppies and I came home and told DH that when something happens to our dog, there is now way we could handle a puppy! You get comfortable with your dog and don't realize how much harder other peoples dogs can be.

My current golden is only 1 1/2 years old so I'm not that far from the puppy stage. She had crazy energy too and golden puppies love to mouth so they are affectionately known as land sharks. I expected energy from this yorkipoo puppy but it exceeded my expectations and she is super yappy too which I am not too used to in my household.

It's quite probably, that the puppy behaves very differently at home with it's family. OP does the dog know you or your dog?

It's stressful for a pet to be away from their family AND familiar surroundings. We have sitter come to our house. Much easier for everyone involved

Yes the puppy does know us and our dog. It has been over for play dates and slept over for a trial run. We are not total strangers.

BBM Those 2 statements are contradictory. Either she incorporates the dog into their household, but isn't doing it correctly according to you, or she gives it food and water and otherwise ignores it. No matter what she does or says, I don't think you'd be happy with what she is doing. She got a poorly trained dog who's owners are irresponsible and is doing the best she can with the mess she has to clean up, both literally and figuratively.

Thank you for the support and understanding of my vent. I took a step away from this thread because some of the comments were adding more stress to what was already a stressful situation. I think I'm either getting used to the puppy's ways or she is getting used to my household. Think we'll make it to Sunday ok! :laundy:

I'm so glad it's going better! I thought of you this afternoon. I'm the one whose very needy dog stayed with friends recently. My friend stopped by the house today and boy did my dog give her the welcome! (It's the second time she's come by since we came home - they formed a mutual admiration.) That little dog is going to love you and you are probably going to end up missing the little scamp - momentarily anyway!

My current golden is only 1 1/2 years old so I'm not that far from the puppy stage. She had crazy energy too and golden puppies love to mouth so they are affectionately known as land sharks. I expected energy from this yorkipoo puppy but it exceeded my expectations and she is super yappy too which I am not too used to in my household.

Ah, a 1-1/2 year old Golden -- probably about 6 more months until maturity kicks in. We always said that was when the brain arrived. Ours was quite the goofball until he was two. I can totally see where experience with a Golden wouldn't necessarily translate to a Yorkie.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter