Dog Help

hollieplus2

<font color=blue>Tags always make people happy<br>
Long story sorry:

Ok so I'm not really a dog person. I grew up with cats and just cats. Easy to train, doesn't litter up my backyard and very affecionate without licking my face. I'm not used to dogs and I don't know how to train dogs is my problem I think. I love all animals and would adopt everyone but there is just this barrier between me and dogs.

So, about 2 years ago we got a black and tan dapple daschund. LOVED this dog, it was so beautiful. We got him at 6 months. The guy who sold it to us kept asking me, are you sure you want that one? (had 3 litters at once, couldn't sell all of them had about 6 left) I said yes, he was beautiful. I didn't question the hesitance. :lovestruc

Anyway, we became my velcro dog. Wouldn't leave my side...ever. Now I've heard that daschunds tend to do that but it was to the point that we were determined he was trying to commit suicide everytime I left. Anytime anyone would would open the door he would run into the street at stare down the cars, he would go upstairs to the loft and jump 2 stories down to the couch, run head on into the glass door over and over again. If he was alone he would completly destroy the house. Yet when we went on vacation and left him with my MIL for anytime longer than 3 days he would completly forget who I was and run away from me, hide etc. It was heck trying to get him in the car to go home. :confused3

Took him to the vet and they recommended prozac. I resisted but this dog was going insane. Instead we had some friends who had 3 daschunds and they trained them for agility coarses and such. Thought maybe they could help train him, try and figure him out, see if maybe he needed to be with other dogs and more company (me and DH work all day they had at least one person home all day)

After the first night they called and said he was REALLY high maintenance!!!:eek: After one week they demanded we come get this THING:scared: Eventually we had to get rid of him. He had just lost it. We found an older lady who was living by herself and she said she would try him out. She did and fell in love. All his craziness has disappeared. :confused:

So now almost 2 years later I miss my dog and would do anything to get him back. I really want another daschund but I'm afraid. Are all daschunds like this? This was my first dog every and I swore after him I would never own another dog, I was obviously not meant to be owned by a dog but I really really miss having him around. He was so sweet when he wasn't trying to kill himself or destroying my wall, furniture, clothes, trashcan etc.

So, are dogs and me not meant to be together? Did I just get one that wasn't quit wired right or and I doomed?

hmmm... that is strange that as soon as he had a new owner all his craziness was gone. I'm assuming you kept in touch with her. I've never owned a full dauchsand ( I own a mixbreed right now) but with all the types of dogs I've had I've never ran into one like that.

There is sometimes too much breeding going on and can cause problems in the pets- usually it's manifested physically. But the fact that it went away says it was situational. Look at your life and see what's the same and what's different. You certainly don't want a repeat event.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter