Dog Care

amber.dearmond

Earning My Ears
Hello! I wasn’t sure which thread to write on but I had a question and needed advice. I have a 9 month chihuahua mix who’s about 12 pounds. Almost the whole day he was fine until night time where he kept becoming restless. He normally will stay in one spot if he is asleep, especially after having a long day. But for some reason tonight he kept moving and trying to throw up. He whines when he tries to lay down and will only lay down finally if he gets petted but once you stop he becomes restless again. This is very abnormal behavior for him and I am worried. Money is super tight and I want to make sure I could do everything at home before making the next step to the vet. I just want to make sure he’s good and do whatever I can to help him. I hate to see him like this and I wish he could tell me what’s wrong. Any advice would help. Thank you for your guys time.

Hello! I wasn’t sure which thread to write on but I had a question and needed advice. I have a 9 month chihuahua mix who’s about 12 pounds. Almost the whole day he was fine until night time where he kept becoming restless. He normally will stay in one spot if he is asleep, especially after having a long day. But for some reason tonight he kept moving and trying to throw up. He whines when he tries to lay down and will only lay down finally if he gets petted but once you stop he becomes restless again. This is very abnormal behavior for him and I am worried. Money is super tight and I want to make sure I could do everything at home before making the next step to the vet. I just want to make sure he’s good and do whatever I can to help him. I hate to see him like this and I wish he could tell me what’s wrong. Any advice would help. Thank you for your guys time.
It sounds like he is in distress and uncomfortable. Do you have any idea what could’ve caused him to be this way? Did he eat something out of the ordinary? Could he have swallowed bones or something else he shouldn’t have gotten into? Is his stomach swollen or tender when you touch it? Are his gums nice and pink? Is he fully alert? Have you tried letting him go out to go to the bathroom (or wherever he goes) to poop? Has he peed? Is he interested in food or water? Making any unusual noises? It would be a lot easier if dogs could talk, but since they can’t, we have to try to figure things out this way. How is he doing now? If things are going in the direction of getting worse, then you might have to take him in. If he seems to be improving, then you might be ok to continue to watch him to see how he does.

It sounds like he is in distress and uncomfortable. Do you have any idea what could’ve caused him to be this way? Did he eat something out of the ordinary? Could he have swallowed bones or something else he shouldn’t have gotten into? Is his stomach swollen or tender when you touch it? Are his gums nice and pink? Is he fully alert? Have you tried letting him go out to go to the bathroom (or wherever he goes) to poop? Has he peed? Is he interested in food or water? Making any unusual noises? It would be a lot easier if dogs could talk, but since they can’t, we have to try to figure things out this way. How is he doing now? If things are going in the direction of getting worse, then you might have to take him in. If he seems to be improving, then you might be ok to continue to watch him to see how he does.

He was able to get sleep through the night like normal. I have not seen him eat or drink yet. It is early though and he’s not much of a “morning dog” lol but it’s a lot better from those couple of hours he was not being himself. He did not eat his dinner last night but I was planning on giving him a bland diet incase it was his stomach. I was going to make chicken and rice for him. He is the type of dog though to rip his toys and I can’t ever tell if he eats the cotton. I personally think he just rips it apart and spits it out. Whenever I come back to him ripping a toy it never looks like it’s been eaten. His stomach did look a little bloated & last night when I did touch it he would whine. Checking his stomach now tho it looks back to normal. I was feeling around it like I was last night and he’s not giving me that whine like he did. Gums look normal to me.

okay literally just right now he started to whine again. But his stomach looks fine. Not bloated or hard as a rock. Ugh.. I feel so bad. He’s able to lay which he couldn’t do last night.

You may want to look at vetster.com. You can have a video appointment with a vet licensed in your state. I haven’t used this service yet but it looks reasonable. A video appointment in my area is about $85 with taxes and fees.

Just a thought I had. It's better to take him now to your regular vet than an emergency vet over the weekend, which would be a lot more expensive. I sure hope your little guy is better now. Best wishes.

It sounds like he may have an intestinal blockage, which is life threatening. I nearly lost one of my Yorkies a while back because of a blockage. You really should take him in to the vet.

It sounds like he may have an intestinal blockage, which is life threatening. I nearly lost one of my Yorkies a while back because of a blockage. You really should take him in to the vet.
I agree. My cat was severely constipated and had to be sedated to clear the obstruction. I’d bet he swallowed something that is blocking his digestive system and the longer it goes on the greater the consequences. Please don’t let cost keep you from having him evaluated by a professional.

I agree. My cat was severely constipated and had to be sedated to clear the obstruction. I’d bet he swallowed something that is blocking his digestive system and the longer it goes on the greater the consequences. Please don’t let cost keep you from having him evaluated by a professional.
When I took my dog to the vet, he took an X-ray and came out and told me he was taking her into immediate surgery. I didn't even have time to ask questions.

Ugh..I was thinking the same thing.
I sure hope the OP comes back with some positive news. 😟

Very interesting the OP just joined a Disney news group and the only post is about her dog?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter