Does your trip start when you leave home or when you arrive?

Nothing like a good road trip! Getting there is half the fun! Our kids have always been great travelers, probably because we have always lived so far away from family.

Vacation starts for me as soon as I lock the front door and get into the car.

We sing, snack, play Mad-Libs, and all those fun things. Our Suburban has a DVD player and boy that's fun, but we have only had it a year, so most of our traveling has been done "the old fashioned way".

We like to picnic at rest stops along the interstate, and usually stay somewhere with a pool. We also try to find some the touristy-things along the way to make it more fun. For instance, when we travel up to NJ, instead of just blasting up I-95, we sometimes take the Cheasapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and then the Lewes Ferry from DE to Cape May, NJ. It may take a bit longer, but oh my!! What fun and memories-well worth an extra hour or two.

One year when we lived in SW Virginia, there was an Air Show at one of the bases in the DC area and we stopped and did that on the way home. We just stumbled across it. We got home later than we planned and we were tired, but the kids had a blast making an unscheduled stop 4 hours from home. And we had a blast.

I guess I am lucky that DH isn't one who has to "stick to the schedule" but rather if a great opportunity arises we go for it.

Thus "getting there is half the fun!"

The vacation starts when we pull the suitcases out of the closet. (Yes, I'm a planner so the suitcases are probably out of the closet 2-3 weeks in advance :blush: ). The planning and packing get us motivated for the 16 hour drive. The time in the car gives the family an opportunity to step away from our jobs / school and look forward to spending family time together.

My family has been making the trip to WDW for 30 years and in the beginning my parents would get in the car and drive without stopping until they hit the parking lot at MK. Now we've come to realize the drive is part of the adventure and needs to be savored.

for me, it is visit purgatory for the plane ride, then paradise when you step out of the airport. that is when the trip starts. and the day you fly back, it is over.....
:sunny:
(of course...already thinking of the next adventure :thumbsup2 )

6mouskateers said:
Nothing like a good road trip! Getting there is half the fun! Our kids have always been great travelers, probably because we have always lived so far away from family.

Vacation starts for me as soon as I lock the front door and get into the car.

We sing, snack, play Mad-Libs, and all those fun things. Our Suburban has a DVD player and boy that's fun, but we have only had it a year, so most of our traveling has been done "the old fashioned way".

We like to picnic at rest stops along the interstate, and usually stay somewhere with a pool. We also try to find some the touristy-things along the way to make it more fun. For instance, when we travel up to NJ, instead of just blasting up I-95, we sometimes take the Cheasapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and then the Lewes Ferry from DE to Cape May, NJ. It may take a bit longer, but oh my!! What fun and memories-well worth an extra hour or two.

One year when we lived in SW Virginia, there was an Air Show at one of the bases in the DC area and we stopped and did that on the way home. We just stumbled across it. We got home later than we planned and we were tired, but the kids had a blast making an unscheduled stop 4 hours from home. And we had a blast.

I guess I am lucky that DH isn't one who has to "stick to the schedule" but rather if a great opportunity arises we go for it.

Thus "getting there is half the fun!"

We definatly get very wraped up and excited about planning, but you know the feeling the night before you leave...you can't sleep, your so excited, everything around the house is a buzz!! :hyper:
We also love, finding little out of the way places to check out! :thumbsup2 Don't get me wrong...Disney is still the destination!! :sunny:

Mine starts the morning we leave right after my first cup of coffee....lol I am a serious caffee junkie. My DH of 16 yrs won't talk to me until I have atleast 1/2 a cup, he claims I am mean with out it.... I plead the 5th.... :rolleyes1

We leave for Mall of America on Friday and I have already packed. Our trip will start at 4:30 am when DH and I get up. Our Disney trip will start bright and early too, 4:00 am....I think I will make my coffee the night before and stick it in my thermos (sp?). Actually I consider myself half way on my Disney Vacation, it really started for me on Sunday when we booked our package :)

Lori

I'd have to say the moment I get in the car to goto the airport is when it all starts!!!!!

Mine starts the moment we pull out of the driveway. Up until then I am stressed with packing and listing! But once we pull away from the house then I start to relax and enjoy vacation!! :cool1:

I think I'd have to say it begins either once the plane takes off or once the plane lands @ MCO!

Since my wife and I love to travel together, our vacation starts when we pull out of the driveway.

Actually, it kind of starts when the vacation is certain - when the bosses have granted us time off and we've booked our hotels, etc. Once we're at that stage, the vacation becomes a hobby, and we spend a lot of our free time making plans, fiddling with their details, and so on.

But we don't really get that true vacation feeling until we're pulling out of the driveway. We travel so well together that even the travel phase really is part of our vacation.

We love our home, but even if we have another day or two off after we get back, we always feel so melancholy during the last few miles of any trip. If only someone would pay us to travel around the country!

tribus121's wife: Our WDW vacation will start as soon as church service comes to a close on September 10th. And that won't be until almost 12:30 as our pastor has this passion of wanting to talk a long time. I don't think that it will hit me until we get to Pop Century that we are actually on vacation. This will be the first vacation with my mom and our daughter.

Tribus121's wife

:sunny:

Like a lot of you, my vacation has kind of started now - I love the planning, reading etc., but, really, truly start of vacation has to be when the I'm at the airport, bags checked in, boarding pass in hand. Although, from then it is still about 24 hours until I get to Orlando - 12hrs Brisbane to LA, the 5-6 hrs LA to MCO, plus waiting time!!! :crazy: :teeth: But it is worth it in the end!!! :banana: :thumbsup2 :Pinkbounc :woohoo:
Can't wait, and I have more than a year to go!!

Our vacations start when we actually manage to leave the driveway. I am married to a workaholic who doesn't pack until 5 mins before we leave and sometimes when we take two cars.......he packs hours after I leave. On our last trip I actually got fed up and did leave because my car was ready. He called me 30 mins later and asked where I was!!!!

I tried to talk my DH into driving for this upcoming trip because we only drove as children......not many folks flew back in the early 70's as families. I miss stopping at South of the Border Hotel and wanted to take my kids there. But DH reminded me that our van is a lease this time around (because I don't want to be driving it for 10 years) and we can't afford the extra miles on it and the cost of the gas would come close to matching the cheap airfare we managed to find. Darn.

Our trip starts the day we get back from WDW!! :rotfl2:

Vacation starts at 5pm tomorrow afternoon! I'll be off from work for seventeen days!
Our WDW vacation starts at 515am Sat morn when we leave for the airport!

It starts when we walk out the door. We go to a hotel near the airport the night before because we leave at 700AM. But for me it has actually started because I have been having so much fun planning surpirses for everyone.

Mine starts when I am packing, which is usually the day before we leave.

It's usually when we get to our airport hotel. We normally go out to dinner. Then load up the car and drive to Glasgow and then check in to an airport hotel.

It is when we get in the car and head to the airport. I always have my shorts on and I am in the vacation mindset once we lock the front door. Its all gravy after that! I can't wait until October. :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter