Does your mother in law like your cooking?

*I* don't even like my cooking lol
I will say, tbf to myself, I'm not bad at baking and when I was still married, I made my MIL a great chocolate cake from scratch (and coincidentally, her birthday is tomorrow!). But cooking? Gah, I'm terrible at it. There was a great NYTimes article this week about hating a partner's cooking and I thought of my sweet ex-girlfriend who loved so much about me and loved to cook and haaaaated (with good reason) my terrible skills at cooking. She graciously even offered to recently cook with me via zoom to keep teaching me things (we remain close).

My MIL has passed, but my son-in-law doesn't like my cooking (and I don't like his!) I think MIL was OK with my cooking when she was alive. We had them over for dinner every Sunday when they were in assisted living.

I have a great MIL and she likes my cooking. She too is a good cook but her cooking has gone down hill a bit as she’s gotten older. She doesn’t have the patience she once did and tends to rush stuff or cooks ahead before we come over and reheats it which for most stuff it’s never as good.

I think she did. She’s gone now and the last few years I cooked for her a lot. After FIL passed we had her over weekly for dinner. After a few years she started declining our invitations and she was losing weight. I made extra food when I cooked and DH would drop it off so she would have something she could just heat.

I mostly liked her cooking too. She cooked different things than my mom, but it was tasty. The only thing I didn’t like were her vegetables. She only prepared canned vegetables. I tried to tell her about frozen vegetables, but she wasn’t interested. Never prepared fresh ones either.

My late MIL loved my cooking. She wasn’t a great cook. She’s been gone over 10 years now. I wish I had cooked for her more often. Also, My DIL is a good cook.

I never prepared a meal for my current MIL. When DH and I see her it’s usually at her daughter’s house or we go to a restaurant.

My former MIL never criticized my cooking, so I suppose she liked it.

Yes she does and I take it as a compliment because she is an amazing cook. She makes traditional Nicaraguan dishes 99% of the time and it is the best Nicaraguan food I’ve ever had. And I’ve had my fair share of Nicaraguan food in my life from being in Nicaragua, to Miami, other friends and my SO’s other family members. My SO’s aunt in Nicaragua is on par with my MIL and her daughter is here visiting and said my food is very good too. I’ll take it since her mom is also an amazing cook!

Now my XH’s mother was an awful cook. Everything she made was gross. Her mother also wasn’t a very good cook (but the sweetest woman I still talk to) but her family thought she was. Her food was passable and not awful but just not very good. I guess you only know what you know and if it’s what you grew up with you think it’s great.

My in laws are both deceased but didn’t seem to have a problem with our cooking. My MIL was not a good cook at all and I sucked it up and said it was good. She asked us over for Chinese one time and received La Choy canned food, ugh. She served a huge lettuce salad that had some macaroni, egg, onion, tomato & cheese in it. There was no salad dressing, only mayo. She made a tuna casserole with canned veggies, Veg All, 2 big cans…nope. Her Mac & cheese was a little cheese & milk, the macaroni was swimming in milk.

My mom was a very good cook and she made an awesome chicken parm, lasagne, sausage & noodle casserole, meat loaf, bbq chicken, were some of our faves. She didn’t enjoy cooking but did it well, trying a variety of recipes. Back in the day, I grew up with newspaper clippings of all sorts of recipes.

I only met my MIL once, before we got married. She had passed by our marriage and FIL wasn't well enough to come to it. My husband says he wishes they'd tried some of my food. He grew up on such classics as plain boiled chicken wings on rice, boiled Brussels sprouts, and canned vegetables, so he's easy to please.

Yes, she did, but to be fair DH and I have been together a very long time and MIL taught me many of my go to meals.

My MIL and I exchanged cooking ideas sometimes. I enjoyed her cooking and I think she enjoyed mine. We were not so far apart in the way we cooked except for I cook a little more of a healthy balance and she was more old-fashioned in a sort of country cooking way. She fried things, I didn't, etc. She would fry chicken, I'd grill it, she'd boil vegies, I'd roast them, etc. We both tend to cook sort of like we grew up, we just grew up very differently.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter