Does your hair salon charge per service or per hour?

By the service. I wouldn't want to pay by the hour because I only get a simple haircut. I'd be subsidizing all the added material costs for people who get perms or dye jobs.

Mine charges by the service. She's also a juggler and usually is cutting someone else's hair while my color processes. I don't mind because she's really good at estimating her time and I rarely wait more than a couple of minutes.

Other problems such as the job took longer because they had to cut everything apart and such rather than simple unbolt. Or in the instance of my Ford Escape, took him over 4 hours to wrestle the 1.5 hour job of removing the halfshaft out. You still only pay the 1.5 hours and the tech doing the 4 hours of work only gets paid 1.5 hours.

And in the opposite, when there are shortcuts to take and they do a 2.5 hour job in half an hour like my ball joints in my old Toyota which the procedure is to disassemble all the suspension to remove the a-arm but the tech instead sticks a pry bar in and lifts the upper arm to remove the ball joint. Actually it took me longer to remove the wheel than it did to remove the ball joint. I got to use the dealer shop after hours with my brother-in-law who worked there. Took us literally 15 minutes and he looked it up and it was a 2.5 hour job on the book. Thus you pay 2.5 hours labor but they only do 15 minutes worth of work.

That's flat rate.
Gotcha. I thought you were saying something like "I was getting my oil changed and they said I needed new brakes."

Nope, never heard of charging by the hour. Considering that the cost for different services varies not just by the time it takes, but also based on supplies used (for example, a basic shampoo, cut and blow dry, vs. color, highlights, keratin treatment, etc.), that wouldn’t make sense.

Perhaps for a barber who mostly does men’s hair, it could work. When DS was young, I’d take him to a barber for a simple scissor or buzz cut and the barber could sometimes do 3-4 clients in an hour, if some were just getting trims.

Never heard of by the hour.
I have longer hair but fine.
Go every 8 weeks for cut and colour and it costs $120. Takes about 90 minutes.

Nope, never heard of charging by the hour. Considering that the cost for different services varies not just by the time it takes, but also based on supplies used (for example, a basic shampoo, cut and blow dry, vs. color, highlights, keratin treatment, etc.), that wouldn’t make sense.

Perhaps for a barber who mostly does men’s hair, it could work. When DS was young, I’d take him to a barber for a simple scissor or buzz cut and the barber could sometimes do 3-4 clients in an hour, if some were just getting trims.
This is why it was appealing to me. I needed a cut and color with highlights. That easily could have been $250-300 at another salon. But for two hours of time I paid about $190 plus tip. It didn’t make sense to me for a haircut. One hour minimum. She recently has raised her rates (again) and is now $118 an hour.

I know from her social media that she does mens cuts as well. I can’t imagine many men are willing to pay $118 for a haircut.

I am confused by the by age. Is there something inherently different in peoples hair as they age that makes services easier or more difficult to perform?
Most places here have a senior rate (or discount). Just a common business practice here.

I honestly have no idea. My hairdresser doesn’t post her prices and I’ve never asked how she comes up with what she charges me. I have the same things done every 8 weeks (cut, color and eyebrow waxing). It always takes two hours and the price is always the same unless she does an Olaplex treatment so that makes me think she charges by service.

I went to the same lady from the time I was 10 until I was about 40. She was really good but her services took forever. And I felt like she made up her prices as she went along. Eventually my niece started doing my hair when she became licensed. I paid the cost to go to the salon where she worked until she started making enough that she did favors for her close family at home. I now pay $20 for a haircut. I have to deal with her fitting me in her busy schedule. And I usually bring her a McDonald’s coke when I go to her house. I haven’t had highlights in a while but I think I paid her 40 for those. I can’t imagine paying salon prices again.

No and thankfully because yesterday my stylist worked on me for almost 6 hours. They serve per service, based on experience. For example, the stylists with most experience, charge more.

I am confused by the by age. Is there something inherently different in peoples hair as they age that makes services easier or more difficult to perform?
Not really, but I go to Great Clips and they have reduced pricing for seniors and kids under 12. More marketing than anything else, I'd imagine. :rolleyes1 On second thought, I've been there when some little kids were really kicking up a fuss in the chair, but IMO that should cost more, not less.

My salon just went to pay by the hour service. My stylist charges $100/hour, though stylists with less experience charge less. It does include tip and the salon does state that they no longer accept tipping. Not sure if I’m going to stay there or not, but I don’t want to find a new stylist. Eventually, I think this will catch on and spread because they are making more money.

They do state that no stylist will ever double book so when you’re in the chair you have your stylist’s full attention for your time period.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter