• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does the Disney Visa discount apply when using giftcards?

qgause

Earning My Ears
First-time cruiser here, I was wondering whether it's possible to get the 20% Visa discount on spa treatments on the ship but pay for it with Disney Gift cards. Would I simply just have to show my Disney Visa for the discount or would I have to actually have it listed on my onboard stateroom account? Also, what is the proper way to pay with gift cards on the ship? Is a spa reservation recommended for Senses or can I get a treatment upon boarding the ship?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
All charges onboard the ship go through your stateroom account. To get the discount you must have the Disney Visa set-up as payment for your account. But after your spa visit, I think you can then go to Guest Services and have them apply the gift cards before the charge goes through to your visa; maybe even prior the spa visit.

All charges onboard the ship go through your stateroom account. To get the discount you must have the Disney Visa set-up as payment for your account. But after your spa visit, I think you can then go to Guest Services and have them apply the gift cards before the charge goes through to your visa; maybe even prior the spa visit.

Yes, as long as you have given your Disney Visa as the official form of payment for your stateroom account at check-in, you will get any Disney Visa discounts on onboard purchases. To pay for anything onboard (except a new cruise) you will simply present your Key to the World card, which links to your stateroom account -- you don't need to, and in most cases can't, use another form of payment.

If you want to use a gift card to pay off your account, you can do bring it to Guest Services at any time during the cruise (following current access rules -- at one time, you needed to make an appointment, and I'm not sure if that's still happening). Your credit card on file will be charged once your account reaches a certain amount, which varies by length of cruise but used to start at $500, so you may want to present the gift card as soon as you know you have more on your account than you're using on the gift card.

If you're sure you want a spa treatment at a specific day/time, it's best to book in advance. On previous cruises I've been able to book once onboard, but not all times or treatments were still available. On the other hand, if you are flexible, you may be able to get a discount on a treatment on a port day if you book once onboard. (I'm not sure if you can use the Disney Visa discount with another discount, though.)

Happy planning!

When I was on the Wonder last month they didn’t automatically give you the discount at the shops or the spa. I had my Disney Visa set up on my account but they said I had to actually use the physical card to make purchases in the shops to get my discount. (The KTTW card no longer had “DV” printed on it.) I don’t know if this was a fluke or if it is now standard procedure?

For the spa, I called and asked about the discount and they said they would just note in their system I should get the 20% off. They also said it was only for premium services, which I don’t think used to be the case.

I often add gift cards to my onboard account—I visit guest services the first day to get it out of the way.

And I would book what you can in advance. They usually have some openings once onboard, but you might not get your preferred day/time.

When I was on the Wonder last month they didn’t automatically give you the discount at the shops or the spa. I had my Disney Visa set up on my account but they said I had to actually use the physical card to make purchases in the shops to get my discount. (The KTTW card no longer had “DV” printed on it.) I don’t know if this was a fluke or if it is now standard procedure?

For the spa, I called and asked about the discount and they said they would just note in their system I should get the 20% off. They also said it was only for premium services, which I don’t think used to be the case.

I often add gift cards to my onboard account—I visit guest services the first day to get it out of the way.

And I would book what you can in advance. They usually have some openings once onboard, but you might not get your preferred day/time.
Which services are considered "premium"? And does CC count as a port day? We have massages bookedk for 4:30 on CC day with a 4:45 departure from the island. Thank you!

Which services are considered "premium"? And does CC count as a port day? We have massages bookedk for 4:30 on CC day with a 4:45 departure from the island. Thank you!

Unfortunately I can’t answer your questions except to say adding the hot stones to a Swedish massage was considered premium, since that’s what I did. My cruise didn’t go to Castaway Cay but I would guess that counts for the discount? I’m sure someone else on here must know!

Oh wow, I didn't realize Disney Visa had a 20% off spas?! Dang it, it would have saved us like $100!

I was on the Fantasy a couple weeks ago and to get the Disney Visa discount, you had to swipe your card. My KTTW card did not have the discount code on it anymore and there was no option to use the discount with my onboard account. I did have it set as my payment method as well, but I also had onboard credit. I tried to explain this, but they told me I had to swipe the card.

I was on the Fantasy a couple weeks ago and to get the Disney Visa discount, you had to swipe your card. My KTTW card did not have the discount code on it anymore and there was no option to use the discount with my onboard account. I did have it set as my payment method as well, but I also had onboard credit. I tried to explain this, but they told me I had to swipe the card.
Ohh! That would be a bummer as so many of us have onboard credit these days. Not good timing at all to institute that change :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter