Does shipboard medical take HSA?

WonderlandisReality

DIS Veteran
Is an HSA (Health Savings Account) credit card accepted as a form of payment on board at the medical clinic, should you need to use their services?

Is an HSA (Health Savings Account) credit card accepted as a form of payment on board at the medical clinic, should you need to use their services?
No. Services are billed to your onboard account and must be paid while onboard. Then you have to file claim with your own health plan people. Be sure to get copies of all medical procedures done to include in the claim.

Keep in mind that a lot of US health insurance doesn’t work outside of the US, which is a reason many purchase travel insurance. An overseas appendectomy can set you back tens of thousands of dollars.

You'll need initially to pay upfront through your onboard account. Shipboard medical won't deal with your insurance either -- you'll need to submit to insurance, receive the EOB and any reimbursement, then submit any non-reimbursed and/or non-covered amount to the HSA.

People confuse HSA with health insurance. Nor is it the same as FSA. Nor are there any forms to submit with HSA.
HSA is a debit card. Ours is a VIsa. So anyplace that takes a Visa Debit card will take it. It works just like any other Visa.
But does the payment you make need to be coded as medical? I think if you pay through your onboard account the payment would be coded as travel. Not sure if this causes issues with the HSA?

But if it’s like any Visa debit, you should be able to ask guest services to put a specific amount on that card and charge it. If it’s a large sum, you need to be quick as they do charge the card on file when you’re over a specific limit.

But does the payment you make need to be coded as medical? I think if you pay through your onboard account the payment would be coded as travel. Not sure if this causes issues with the HSA?

But if it’s like any Visa debit, you should be able to ask guest services to put a specific amount on that card and charge it. If it’s a large sum, you need to be quick as they do charge the card on file when you’re over a specific limit.
No it doesn't have to be coded as medical. You just keep the receipt in case your taxes get audited. For example you can use it at Walmart to purchase certain items. A Walmart cashier isn't taking the time to stop and code items or even look at the card. You just swipe it through the machine. For that matter my doctors don't even look at my cards anymore. They have the card swiper on the counter and I just swipe. The person doesn't ask if it's HSA Visa or regular Visa. It looks just like a regular Visa card.
You are probably right about asking guest services. But having never done it I can't speak from experience.

Nor are there any forms to submit with HSA.
You are correct about the debit card. But you should also have a way to submit and expense for reimbursement if you paid in another manner (another credit card, check, cash, etc.). That might be a form or an online submission.

As to onboard -- the medical center does not take payment directly. Any charges get put to your onboard account along with anything else you pay for onboard (excursions, drinks, souvenirs, dining, etc.). As PP said, I suppose one could stop at Guest Services and pay a specific amount with the HSA debit card. But since the medical center also doesn't submit to insurance (regular health insurance or travel insurance), presumably one would want to do that before paying with the HSA to prevent the need to "pay-back" the HSA.

Keep in mind that a lot of US health insurance doesn’t work outside of the US, which is a reason many purchase travel insurance. An overseas appendectomy can set you back tens of thousands of dollars.
You bring up a good point. Check your health insurance BEFORE you go. To be honest, until I went on Medicare, I had never had health insurance that would not cover me everywhere in the world. However, my private Medicare supplement does cover me outside the country.
I do recall the insurance rep at work being questioned about getting care outside the U.S. and he said they cover it for the simple reason, health care is cheaper outside the U.S. so of course they cover it, they save money. BUT CHECK YOUR COVERAGE TO BE SURE.

The person doesn't ask if it's HSA Visa or regular Visa. It looks just like a regular Visa card.
My local hospital actually does ask. I pay the bills through the online portal and there is a check box to check if using an HSA. A couple of times I have missed (or overlooked) that box and the payment does NOT go through. I called once and they explained I need to check that box.

So I don't know if it's different at the front desk or billing office, or if a retail location just has their systems automatically set to accept it or what. I've never had a problem at the local drug store prescription counter, but every time I pay a bill for the hospital system (hospital, lab, specialty visit, etc.) it won't go through without checking the HSA box. So it is possible a cruise ship might not be able to accept one.

Our HSA has a pay yourself back feature. Pay onboard with a credit card. Pay yourself back out of the HSA for the medical charges.
I do this anyway so that I can get credit card points on my medical spending. My out of pocket max is $6k and we will hit it (thanks cancer). That's a lot of Southwest points! ;) At least something good can come out of all this medical spending.

No it doesn't have to be coded as medical. You just keep the receipt in case your taxes get audited. For example you can use it at Walmart to purchase certain items. A Walmart cashier isn't taking the time to stop and code items or even look at the card. You just swipe it through the machine. For that matter my doctors don't even look at my cards anymore. They have the card swiper on the counter and I just swipe. The person doesn't ask if it's HSA Visa or regular Visa. It looks just like a regular Visa card.
To an extent...I can tell you that if you accedentallly give the server at Texas Roadhouse your blue HSA card instead of your blue Chase card, it will not work. Apparently, you cannot pay for steak with your HSA card...ask me how I know. 😂

I hope the OP got the info they needed. But for me as a European that was a very interesting thread to learn more about health care costs in the USA. Here you can claim healthcare costs that aren’t covered by your insurance against your taxes, but it seems that the HSA is a much more simpler way of doing it. Sounds like a great idea to me.

Here you can claim healthcare costs that aren’t covered by your insurance against your taxes, but it seems that the HSA is a much more simpler way of doing it.
To veer off-topic and give a quick explanation... Many folks have what are called HDHP (high deductible healthcare plans) and with that are eligible for an "HSA" (health savings account). The deductible is an amount you are charged for your healthcare expenses before insurance will kick-in to cover part/all. You get to deposit up to $8300 into this HSA account pre-tax and use it for any medical expenses -- deductible, coinsurance after deductible, out of network or uncovered charges, vision, dental, etc.

For folks who itemize their taxes each year, it is still possible to take a deduction for healthcare expenses. However, only for the amount of expense that is more than 7.5% of their adjusted gross income (and not reimbursed by an HSA or similar type account). For the vast majority of us, the HSA is a better option.

And the caveat that US healthcare is soooo varied this info is generalized.

I do this anyway so that I can get credit card points on my medical spending. My out of pocket max is $6k and we will hit it (thanks cancer). That's a lot of Southwest points! ;) At least something good can come out of all this medical spending.
I put my cancer surgery and treatment copays on my Disney Visa. It’s going to pay 1/2 the price of my Treasure cruise in Feb.

I put my cancer surgery and treatment copays on my Disney Visa. It’s going to pay 1/2 the price of my Treasure cruise in Feb.
I hope you're doing well and can celebrate being done with everything in Feb. My first cruise post-treatment was emotional! I'm almost one year past treatment. It's not always easy (it seems like even when you're done having cancer, you're never really done having cancer) but it's easier than being in treatment. All the best to you!

I hope you're doing well and can celebrate being done with everything in Feb. My first cruise post-treatment was emotional! I'm almost one year past treatment. It's not always easy (it seems like even when you're done having cancer, you're never really done having cancer) but it's easier than being in treatment. All the best to you!
Got done with my radiation in 2018. Bought WDW AP as my treat. All the scans clear for the 4 years I had to do imagining. Just a yearly check of my scalp where the cancerous cyst was. Lost my hair in top of scalp, but I have a Mickey hat which I almost lost on Splash Mountain first trip back after finishing treatment. Luckily it flew in the seat behind me so I got it back.

Best wishes to you as well. Hope your checks are clean.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter