• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does resort availability correlate much with crowd levels?

manicmonkey

Mouseketeer
Most crowd calendars are predicting the week of Dec 11th to be a bit busier than the previous week, but there is more availability for resorts then. The previous week is pretty sparse in finding openings (which I get I'm doing this only 2 months in advance :P). Any insights?

Not too much from what I’ve seen. There were weeks in the spring with little to no availability at Disney Resorts but park reservations were still available.

Other times there was availability at the resorts but park reservations were full.

While they might be somewhat of an indicator, I wouldn’t give them a lot of weight.

Orlando seems to be holding quite a few conventions the first two weeks of December.

Lots of people go to Disney who don't stay on-site so I doubt one has anything to do with the other. Locals with AP's might also decide to show up some weekend when there is good weather. No 3rd party has any better of a crystal ball to predict how crowded parks will be months in advance. Likely more people are there during major events or large conventions or known holidays.

Just remember that Disney could never survive if they just depended on Disney hotels. Offsite guests likely account for 2/3rds of park guests. So it really depends more on the offsite guests than the onsite guests.

Staying offsite Dec 6th-13th, onsite 13th-18th. I'm hoping it won't be too crowded right before the Christmas week

Most crowd calendars are predicting the week of Dec 11th to be a bit busier than the previous week, but there is more availability for resorts then. The previous week is pretty sparse in finding openings (which I get I'm doing this only 2 months in advance :P). Any insights?
Resort fullness has nothing to do with crowds. We were there over spring break and our resort was not very busy but as expected, parks were pretty full. And we've also been when our resort has been jam packed and parks were ghost towns, granted that was closer to park reopening but our resort was a hot mess and the parks were empty. We book many of our trips 1-2 months out. My advice would be to keep checking and maybe try some alternatives like non-disney resorts like Swan/Dolphin or Disney springs area properties. Also, check third party sites like price line or hotels dot com.

Staying offsite Dec 6th-13th, onsite 13th-18th. I'm hoping it won't be too crowded right before the Christmas week
I went first week of December 2021, mid week. Never seen anything that crowded. Never again.

I'm curious too - we are going in November and there is zero hotel availability. ZERO.

I know it is "Jersey week" when we are going but I can't imagine it will be more crowded than mid summer. But still, zero hotel availability.

I went first week of December 2021, mid week. Never seen anything that crowded. Never again.
I don't think anything in late 2021 and early 2022 can be used as typical norm given travel was off the rails. I think those days are over and feel we're headed to more normal travel/crowd predictors. Nobody knows for sure but in many years, the first two weeks of December is much lighter than closer to Christmas. It's like the crazy crowds we had in Feb earlier this year, it was like Spring Break and totally unexpected. Nobody saw that coming. All those cancelled/postponed trips were all rebooked at the same time lol.

I don't think anything in late 2021 and early 2022 can be used as typical norm given travel was off the rails. I think those days are over and feel we're headed to more normal travel/crowd predictors. Nobody knows for sure but in many years, the first two weeks of December is much lighter than closer to Christmas. It's like the crazy crowds we had in Feb earlier this year, it was like Spring Break and totally unexpected. Nobody saw that coming. All those cancelled/postponed trips were all rebooked at the same time lol.
I mean, Bob literally said demand has shown no signs of slowing. So, I don't see why December 2021 would be wildly different than December 2022 unless they open a 5th gate in the next two months. That crowd level was bananas. Even if it's down 10%, I'm out.

I'm curious too - we are going in November and there is zero hotel availability. ZERO.

I know it is "Jersey week" when we are going but I can't imagine it will be more crowded than mid summer. But still, zero hotel availability.
So over the last 5-10 years, summer has lost a lot of the crazy crowds. Summer is really not peak, it's not value or low season but it's not as heavy as all resorts are priced higher in November than summer in anticipation of those crowds. We've been to Disney in November, not around thanksgiving but early and mid-November and it's fairly crowded. Our trip around Jersey Week was definitely busier and more crowded than mid November and felt heavier than summer but I would say, the positive of not as hot weather makes it very enjoyable. We go when it's crowded just due to our availability with kids in school and even crazy crowds are manageable so long as you plan accordingly and are patient.

I mean, Bob literally said demand has shown no signs of slowing. So, I don't see why December 2021 would be wildly different than December 2022 unless they open a 5th gate in the next two months. That crowd level was bananas. Even if it's down 10%, I'm out.
I think it's already started to slow. I could be in the minority on this but there are unique pin codes going out, which we haven't seen in a long long time... so I while I know Disney isn't going to be empty any time soon, the tide is definitely turning given the economy/inflation and folks not having as much cash to travel. The Q2 earnings report shared that comment and the most major analysts saw that pull back, flight bookings have decreased every month since May and spending for items like travel, dining, fun stuff is down to half of what it was in the beginning of 2022. I don't want to see the downturn, but it's here and so long as rates keep moving up by the Fed, they'll keep inching up until they crash the jobs market and have unemployment rates around 5-7% so they can "curb inflation". I also think the number of kids back in school and not doing any sort of virtual since most school districts don't offer it, puts parents back at the mercy of traveling when kids are out of session. I love Disney at Christmas time but I like November crowds more than December for sure, so I'm with you on that.

My guess is it won't be as crowded this year as last. We went the first week in December 2019 and it didn't seem that busy to me but that was also my first time

Agree, I was there part of the first week in December and into the second week last year (2020, too - but that was different). I was rather shocked at how busy it was! Especially compared to pre-pandemic.

We have a first week of December reservation, and that in the past has always been a great time to go. I wonder with resorts having literally no vacancies, if that is because while all resorts might be open, is Disney holding inventory back? We have a POR reservation and I thought I'd check for other options, but other than staying in a penthouse for $10K nothing showed as available. Truly and 100% occupancy rate, or is Disney taking rooms out of inventory?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter