Does DVC ever upgrade for free?

I have only ever received an upgrade once when staying at a dvc resort on points. In November 2020 I was upgraded from a studio to a 1 bed at okw. I didn’t even know I had been upgraded until I walked into the room because I hadn’t looked at the room type in mde when I had pulled up the room number.

We have been upgraded 3 times out of close to 80 stays. The first was at Kidani. We had booked savanna view in a studio. Our room was so far down the hall that we were closer to Jambo’s front desk than Kidani’s. We didn’t have a car and i had recently screwed up my knee. When we got to the room (literally the last), we called the desk and asked if we could swap our savanna view studio with someone who hadn’t checked in yet who had a standard view studio that was closer to the bus stop. They said yes and instead moved us to a HA one bed. The next 2 were during Covid. Once again at Kidani, 3 nights in a standard studio. We opened the door, saw the dining room table, and went straight back to the desk to tell them they’d made a mistake. They started laughing and said we were good. Last one was SSR, again booked a studio. We got to the room and found a one bed HA. Called the desk who said it was for their convenience.

I have never heard of such. I would love if they would do so if there was availability, but the truth is DVC stays booked up and they do rent some of the DVC rooms out at rack rate to the general public.

Yes once. The first week December 2023 we were doing a split stay trip. We booked 2 nights at Riviera in a studio preferred view. We were upgraded to a 1 bedroom preferred view. We opened the door and were super confused, but very excited! I had to do a double take and look at the room number to confirm we were at the right room lol.

Yes once. The first week December 2023 we were doing a split stay trip. We booked 2 nights at Riviera in a studio preferred view. We were upgraded to a 1 bedroom preferred view. We opened the door and were super confused, but very excited! I had to do a double take and look at the room number to confirm we were at the right room lol.
Were you booked on points or cash?

I'll again add a caution that if one requests an upgrade, you may get charged the points even if you are not told you will be charged. I know if this happening several times.

Last edited:

Lucky y'all! As you know from reading this thread, upgrades when staying on points is less likely than when staying on cash.
I had no idea upgrades happened at all until it happened! I was surprised because we had trouble getting the two nights in the studio due to no availability.

I had no idea upgrades happened at all until it happened! I was surprised because we had trouble getting the two nights in the studio due to no availability.
LOL, DVD is hoping to sell you points for 1BR because they’re easier to book, now that you know from experience how much nicer they are! :p

My husband and I were given a 1 bedroom at SSR when we had booked a studio. It's funny because we've stayed 4 in a studio many times, but got the upgrade for just 2 of us. No explanation. Just went straight to our room with our phone after online check-in prior and it was a 1 bedroom.

Were you “upgraded” or was there an issue with the room you were going to be in. I have heard of people getting moved to an “better” room because there were issues with their room before check in, which happened because there were no more available rooms for the kind of room that was originally booked. That’s not an “upgrade”. An upgrade is when they move you to a bigger/better room even when they don’t have to. For example, if are a Titanium Marriott customer and book a normal room at a Marriott you will get upgraded to a suite even if there are tons of normal rooms not occupied. DVC doesn’t do that.

Rivera isn't sold out or fully declared right? So there is room there to be upgraded

Correct but they sell those undisclosed rooms for cash so it’s usually pretty full regardless

But I have Gwen upgraded once there because it was one night and they moved me to a 2 bedroom. I was already in my room and wondered if I would be interested in moving because they wanted to use my room for something.

Were you “upgraded” or was there an issue with the room you were going to be in. I have heard of people getting moved to an “better” room because there were issues with their room before check in, which happened because there were no more available rooms for the kind of room that was originally booked. That’s not an “upgrade”. An upgrade is when they move you to a bigger/better room even when they don’t have to. For example, if are a Titanium Marriott customer and book a normal room at a Marriott you will get upgraded to a suite even if there are tons of normal rooms not occupied. DVC doesn’t do that.
The front desk may not tell the guest if there is a problem with correct room category, so I don't think there is a way of knowing why a guest gets a better room than booked. A person could ask, of course.

Last edited:
In june 2023 was upgrade from a studio to a one bedroom at BRV. The CM did not tell me. We had the surprise when we opened the door. It was fantastic , and the room was ready at noon. So we had plenty of time to explore the resort and visit Fort Wilderness.

The front desk may not tell the guest if there is a problem with correct room category, so I don't think there is a way of knowing why a guest gets a better room than booked. A person could ask, of course.
Yep. And if I was booked for a studio and opened the door to find out that I was now in a 1 bedroom, I wouldn’t say anything or ask why I was moved to a 1 bedroom. Lol. I would just enjoy it. But that typically happens when the room type that was booked is sold out and there is an issue with the room that was originally assigned. I am hoping that happens to me one day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter