• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does Disney card parents?

I don’t understand why people make such a big deal about carrying an ID and showing it to buy alcohol. Buying alcohol is not a right and is completely optional, don’t want to carry ID—no drinks for you. You don’t have to carry a giant wallet if you dont want to, but how cumbersome is it to slip ID in your pocket or park bag? ID is smaller than your phone

you should always carry ID. Period. What if there is an emergency and you end up in the hospital? The hospital or police aren’t going to scan your magic band to find out who you are…
I don't really want to carry my passport around on the off chance that I want a beer. If they accepted UK driving licenses then fine but they don't.

Maybe this a US think but the healthcare in the UK you don't need to show ID to access care at a hospital

I don't really want to carry my passport around on the off chance that I want a beer. If they accepted UK driving licenses then fine but they don't.

Maybe this a US think but the healthcare in the UK you don't need to show ID to access care at a hospital
You never know when you are going to have to show your ID. I've had to show mine when using a credit card, checking into the doctor's office, certainly having procedures done in the hospital, sometimes when ordering a drink, sometimes not (I'm 66 years old with 90% gray hair but to be fair, I started turning gray at 20). I actually have one of those little slip wallet things on the back of my phone where my DL, CC and Kroger card (don't ask) always live. I don't have to carry a purse if I have pockets, it's all in my phones. If I'm travelling in other countries, I always have my passport and American DL on me if I'm outside of the hotel.

It is not about access to a hospital it is about being able for someone who does not know you to know who you are in case of an emergency. A lot of times a picture of your passport will work but I would carry the DL as well just to prove you are who you are. I would never suggest carrying a passport that should be left in the room safe. Everyone who is flying in the US should have 2 accepted forms of ID at airports one to carry and a backup just in case. I know some will say that is an extra cost... A Pass card is 30.00 plus the picture but you can take your own. A drink is 15+ at Disney. In the nicest way possible I do not see why someone would be willing to pay 15+ for an overpriced drink and not the 30 for an extra from of ID. Being we are DVC I have to carry my license anyway to get the discounts if I forget it and that has happened between both my wife and I we just did not get the discount. Its not just liquor......

It is not about access to a hospital it is about being able for someone who does not know you to know who you are in case of an emergency. A lot of times a picture of your passport will work but I would carry the DL as well just to prove you are who you are. I would never suggest carrying a passport that should be left in the room safe. Everyone who is flying in the US should have 2 accepted forms of ID at airports one to carry and a backup just in case. I know some will say that is an extra cost... A Pass card is 30.00 plus the picture but you can take your own. A drink is 15+ at Disney. In the nicest way possible I do not see why someone would be willing to pay 15+ for an overpriced drink and not the 30 for an extra from of ID. Being we are DVC I have to carry my license anyway to get the discounts if I forget it and that has happened between both my wife and I we just did not get the discount. Its not just liquor......
You need to show the hospital your ID, your insurance card(s) and sometimes your method of payment.

Obviously the ID is for them to transfer your personal information into the computer but it is also to PROVE who you are and that you are using your own insurance or payment cards. It is all about getting PAID before they are going to work on you.

You never know when you are going to have to show your ID. I've had to show mine when using a credit card, checking into the doctor's office, certainly having procedures done in the hospital, sometimes when ordering a drink, sometimes not (I'm 66 years old with 90% gray hair but to be fair, I started turning gray at 20). I actually have one of those little slip wallet things on the back of my phone where my DL, CC and Kroger card (don't ask) always live. I don't have to carry a purse if I have pockets, it's all in my phones. If I'm travelling in other countries, I always have my passport and American DL on me if I'm outside of the hotel.
There are so many places! We went to the movies last night and because we have A-List memberships (3 movies a week for a monthly fee) we have to show our ID every time to make sure it matches up with our ticket. Even if going to an R movie, if you look questionable they ask for ID. When we want senior discounts, many places ask to see our ID to look at our birthday. Even if a restaurant offers free food with birthday you have to show ID to prove that day is your birthday. When we do pickup at Best Buy, we have to show ID before they give us the item.

Even if they look 40?
Whether or not I think you look 40 depends on how good I am at determining age. That's very subjective and lots of people aren't very good at it. And I'm not very good at it personally. I'm reasonably good at determining if someone is over 50/55 and if you're in your teens (maybe) but anything in between - nope. Not good at that.

It is not the law anywhere to ID, just to not sell to minors. If someone is clearly in their senior years, there is no law that says that you can't sell them alcohol without seeing their ID. It might be policy, but that is not the same thing as a law. I wish that we could all come back to center, where common sense lives.
Florida statutes state that:

(d) Any person charged with a violation of paragraph (a) has a complete defense if, at the time the alcoholic beverage was sold, given, served, or permitted to be served:
1. The buyer or recipient falsely evidenced that he or she was 21 years of age or older;
2. The appearance of the buyer or recipient was such that a prudent person would believe the buyer or recipient to be 21 years of age or older; and
3. Such person carefully checked a driver license or an identification card issued by this state or another state of the United States, a passport, or a United States Uniformed Services identification card presented by the buyer or recipient and acted in good faith and in reliance upon the representation and appearance of the buyer or recipient in the belief that the buyer or recipient was 21 years of age or older.

So while it's not the law to require checking ID, if you can show that you specifically checked someone's ID or that you check ID regularly and for everyone, it will serve as a defence should you be accused of, or actually sell to, someone under 21 (that's the subject of paragraph (a)).

Many places selling alcohol will do all three (which you are required to do by law if you want to CYA) to make sure and to prevent servers, especially young and inexperienced ones, from having to make a judgment call on something they may not be good at. Stating that you were sure the person was 40 without checking ID will not protect you from potentially being charged or losing your license.

I too find it annoying that we have to show a passport (Canadian) rather than a driver's license, but I read somewhere that it's ostensibly because no one in Florida knows what a Canadian driver's license should look like so it could be fake but would recognize a passport. I think it's a bit of a spurious argument and kind of stupid, but my feeling that way doesn't change things. However, as I've seen in addition to others, a photo of it seems to be sufficient.

Last edited:
I got carded at Epcot last year. I was 50 years old and had my 18 year old daughter with me. Not a problem, until I realized my driver's license was back in our room. Luckily, I have a photo of my passport ID page in a secure folder on my phone, and the CM said it was acceptable as ID.
Legally a photo of a pp page is not a valid form of legal id. Should it be? Probably. Will it in wdw? Who knows. Do you want to get to a F&G booth and have me behind you screaming to move it or lose it? Maybe?

Just when you are in Epcot....or anywhere else in Florida....bring a valid id....and probably a tetanus shot 🥃

Last edited:

Legally a photo of a pp page is not a valid form of legal id. Should it be? Probably. Will it in wdw? Who knows. Do you want to get to a F&G booth and have me behind you screaming to move it or lose it? Maybe?

Just when you are in Epcot....or anywhere else in Florida....bring a valid id....and probably a tetanus shot 🥃
Obviously, it isn't a valid, legal ID. It certainly wasn't my intention to use a photo of my passport as ID, but I also didn't plan to discover I'd left my DL in my "big" wallet back in our room when I was standing at a F&W booth at Epcot. When I opened the wallet I take to the parks and saw my DL wasn't there, I was fully prepared to be told they couldn't sell to me. But instead of raising a fuss and arguing "can't you see my gray hair and wrinkles?", I politely explained I'd left my DL in my room and asked if she would accept a photo of my passport as proof of age. She said she would, so it worked out. And I doubt I will forget to transfer my ID into my "park wallet" ever again.

Even if they look 40?
Yes.

It doesn't matter how old you look, how old you say you are ... all that matters are the rules of the state, the governing district and the business. If I am to card everyone, and a customer refuses to provide proper identification then I would tell customer I can not serve them and go on to the next person.

Our state has rules, our different cities and districts have rules on top of that - usually stricter and of course every business has rules. Pretty simple, and not a big deal.

Disney has their rules. I'm sure there are some CMs that don't follow and that is the risk they are willing to take with their job, but you can't fault the CMs who follow the rules.

Alcoholic beverages can be purchased at Walt Disney World Resort by all Guests 21 years of age or older.

Any Guest who wishes to purchase an alcoholic beverage at Walt Disney World Resort must present one of the following valid forms of identification:

• U.S. state driver’s license (includes U.S. territories*)
  • U.S. state ID (includes U.S. territories*)
  • U.S. military ID
  • Original passport
  • Copy of passport (either on paper or captured on a mobile device), along with a government-issued photo ID** that can verify the person and birth date shown on the copy
  • NEXUS card issued by U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (Canadian Guests only)
All Guests visiting from outside of the United States are required to present both a valid passport as well as another form of government-issued photo ID from their country of origin.

We have NEVER been carded at WDW. Maybe we look old, maybe we are. Our son and daughter have been frequently. But we have never been asked.

A young person was in line for wine at GF, CL. She was asked for ID. She objected to going back to her room. I qualify for senior discounts. I said , without being asked, You're checking IDs tonight...i held up my drivers license. The CM quietly thanked me as the, probably under 21, young lady walked away.

Disney is relatively strict but it can be hit or miss. My daughter who was 23 at the time unfortunately lost her license before leaving for vacation and only had a temporary license(which had photo). Most places rejected it. At Cava, the manager wouldn’t accept it, but the bartender hinted to use the margarita kiosk out front …no problem never even asked for ID. Went to ESPN, over the years I’ve gotten to know the bartenders fairly well(not sure if that’s good or bad!) when I told her about the temporary ID she said no problem, she trusted me. So it’s really up to the server ultimately and they’re looking to protect their jobs …which I imagine pay pretty well in tips.

A young person was in line for wine at GF, CL. She was asked for ID. She objected to going back to her room. I qualify for senior discounts. I said , without being asked, You're checking IDs tonight...i held up my drivers license. The CM quietly thanked me as the, probably under 21, young lady walked away.
IDK if the person would automatically be under 21 just because they protested going back to their room. Look at the people here who are annoyed with it. They know they are over 21 and just don't want the inconvenience of going back to their room to get their ID (or their passport). IMO those who protest the most are usually ones already of age and just think it's annoying to have to prove it or annoyed that they didn't have their ID and now have to show it. Those who slunk away without protest are usually the ones underage precisely because you tend to not want to draw attention to yourself if you're underage.

IDK if the person would automatically be under 21 just because they protested going back to their room. Look at the people here who are annoyed with it. They know they are over 21 and just don't want the inconvenience of going back to their room to get their ID (or their passport). IMO those who protest the most are usually ones already of age and just think it's annoying to have to prove it or annoyed that they didn't have their ID and now have to show it. Those who slunk away without protest are usually the ones underage precisely because you tend to not want to draw attention to yourself if you're underage.
A person who appears to be under 30 should always have ID if they want adult beverages. A person who looks under 25 has no excuse.

I'll give a little understanding to international guests who are used to more flexible policies.

Yup, I got carded at the pool bar at SSR two months ago which was a real bummer because it was in the room. I'm in my 30s 😝. In fact that's the only place I've been carded in the last few years I can think of!

A person who appears to be under 30 should always have ID if they want adult beverages. A person who looks under 25 has no excuse.

I'll give a little understanding to international guests who are used to more flexible policies.
I think you missed my earlier comments on the thread :)

Always carry your ID with you.

My in-laws (not at Disney) have been carded in front of us (who were long beyond the 21 age anyhow) even into their early 60s lol

But yeah just carry your ID even if it's not for alcohol reasons.

I never not have my ID on me no matter where I'm going. I watch On Patrol Live/Live PD and it's astonishing how many people are driving without their license on them, sometimes it's just the passengers but most often the drivers. And my very first thought is why are all these people out without their IDs?

The passport thing I actually get though, technically anyone can be asked for an ID in the U.S.

The passport IS your identification unless otherwise advised when out of the country. We're about to be in Mexico next week. Technically they advise to carry your passport with you at all times as you may be asked at any point in time. It's actually the law in Mexico.

TBH I actually wonder world-wide how people see our DLs. Because of how ours are designed even some people here in the U.S. think they are fake. Back in 2016 when my husband was in MD for work he used his KS DL to get alcohol at Texas Roadhouse IIRC and the bartender bent his DL trying to figure out if it was real. It's not our fault the design of it lol.

I'm just talking about your presumption that the objection to going back to the room is because the person was under 21. Clearly that is not the case nor something we should probably assume.

At Halloween horror nights they walk around the park carding people holding drinks. I heard a family talking about it while we were waiting for a show. Security came up to them and they got carded again. Then I started noticing people getting carded in lines for the houses. On the universal boards I wondered what happens if the person is under age and I was told they were arrested. They are serious about under age drinking at HHN I guess.

30 plus year olds getting asked for id? Thats dehumanising.

Why do americans put up with such terrible treatment.
Because individual servers can be arrested if they serve alcohol to someone under the drinking age. When I worked at a grocery store, the policy was to card every single customer buying beer, because it's too much to ask of a mininum-wage worker to be an expert in guessing people's ages. And customers can get pretty angry if they feel they're being singled out.

Many American police departments have well-known sting operations in which they find twenty-year-olds who look older, deputize them, and send them into stores and restaurants to purchase alcohol without ID. Then they swoop in and arrest the server/cashier. Two of my college friends were approached by police who tried to recruit them.

Last edited:
I am very late to this post, but have specific (and helpful, I hope) insight on the topic. On our trip in February for Princess, I accidentally forgot my wallet on the plane while de-boarding, and only noticed once we had checked into Bay Lake Tower. I spent the entire week (a 38 YO man) on property without an ID. Long story short - neither my wife or I were almost ever carded in the parks when getting drinks at kiosks or festival booths; easy to envision why they card far less if at all there b/c of the long lines and circumstances. We were, however, frequently asked for ID at restaurants in the parks and hotels.

We were eventually told by a CM that their rule is, if you "look under 30" they're supposed to card you. This checks out for me, b/c as my beard grew in as the trip progressed, I was carded less and less (my chin hair is quite gray). Anyway, hope this helps! Long story short - bring the ID :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter