• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does Disney card parents?

I can see how its a little harder in the states with a minimum age of 21. But surely only in rare circumstances would it be required over 30.

carding people with greying hair or 9 year olds with them is just demeaning.
I’m not sure what you mean by that first sentence…as far as I’m aware, all states have a 21 year age requirement for drinking.

I started going grey in high school. I’m 40 now and stopped dying my hair during the pandemic. I’m almost completely grey, I assume I had a lot of grey even by the time I turned 30. Not a great indication of age.

It’s really not a big deal to show ID. Businesses have to protect themselves and I don’t think the vast majority of people care. Besides, it’s always a good idea to have ID on you in the event of a medical emergency or the like.

Yes why risk your job or your employer's liquor license and reputation because a stranger doesn't want to show ID? I wouldn't take that kind of chance if it were me. I think the server would take the fall for serving a minor.
Honestly the minute a guest didn't want to show me their ID, is the minute I take a stand and not serve them. That would be all the red flags I need. 🚩🚩

Still I wouldn't care about that and I am close to that age. I just don't think it is condescending.

I lived in a University town so I just got accostomed to showing ID everywhere. It seems like the younger the server it was more likey I'd get carded.

Last edited:
I got carded at Epcot last year. I was 50 years old and had my 18 year old daughter with me. Not a problem, until I realized my driver's license was back in our room. Luckily, I have a photo of my passport ID page in a secure folder on my phone, and the CM said it was acceptable as ID.

A million years ago when I was a server in a restaurant, we were told to card EVERYONE regardless of appearances. You never know (people gray early, some people look younger/older than they are, having a kid with you doesn't guarantee you are 21, or even that you are the kid's parent and not their babysitter/aunt/cousin).

That said I don't think I've ever been carded in WDW....? I always carry ID just in case, but I can't remember having ever needed it. Back on visits in my 20's I always assumed it was bc of the Magic Bands. Now I just know it's because I'm an old harried mom and I look the part 😂

Sometimes a company has a policy of carding absolutely everyone, like some baseball stadiums, for example, and some that deliver alcoholic beverages (where the delivery person has to scan an ID for every delivery regardless of how old the customer seems). Disney does not follow that policy; if it is blatantly obvious that you are over 21, they will not ask for ID, but if there is the slightest bit of doubt they usually will.

Sometimes a company has a policy of carding absolutely everyone, like some baseball stadiums, for example, and some that deliver alcoholic beverages (where the delivery person has to scan an ID for every delivery regardless of how old the customer seems). Disney does not follow that policy; if it is blatantly obvious that you are over 21, they will not ask for ID, but if there is the slightest bit of doubt they usually will.
That would be sensible. But its not what others have suggested the policy is.

Honestly the minute a guest didn't want to show me their ID, is the minute I take a stand and not serve them. That would be all the red flags I need. 🚩🚩
As another asked, even if they are CLEARLY over the age. Are you going to hassle some grandpa over a beer?

Not the one you asked but if it is the law you can bet it. You never know who is there to test you.
It is not the law anywhere to ID, just to not sell to minors. If someone is clearly in their senior years, there is no law that says that you can't sell them alcohol without seeing their ID. It might be policy, but that is not the same thing as a law. I wish that we could all come back to center, where common sense lives.

I don't understand why Disney don't have the function for a cast member at check in to verify your age by checking your passport and flagging your profile as over 21. I've been to all inclusive resorts that do this and makes life so much easier, especially if you charge things with your magic band as you could go wallet free.

I don't understand why Disney don't have the function for a cast member at check in to verify your age by checking your passport and flagging your profile as over 21. I've been to all inclusive resorts that do this and makes life so much easier, especially if you charge things with your magic band as you could go wallet free.

What would keep people from switching their magic bands?

I don’t understand why people make such a big deal about carrying an ID and showing it to buy alcohol. Buying alcohol is not a right and is completely optional, don’t want to carry ID—no drinks for you. You don’t have to carry a giant wallet if you dont want to, but how cumbersome is it to slip ID in your pocket or park bag? ID is smaller than your phone

you should always carry ID. Period. What if there is an emergency and you end up in the hospital? The hospital or police aren’t going to scan your magic band to find out who you are…

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter