Does Coral Reef still do anything special for celebrations?

TeamEvansGo

Mouseketeer
Back in 2007 I arranged a special dinner for my then girlfriend and I at Coral Reef. With the help of the manager and staff, they provided a custom menu and arranged a diver to come to the window next to our table with a sign asking her to marry me. It was a wonderful evening and the staff was amazing (even if the food wasn't that great)

We have a trip planned for our 10 year anniversary in 2018 and I would love to surprise my wife with a special dinner like we had when we were engaged.
I know they do not offer divers to come down with messages anymore, but I was wondering if anyone has had any luck getting anything special at the restaurant for a celebration (beyond the usual dessert they provide for celebrations)

I suggest pre-ordering a cake to have delivered to the table. We have done that several times and each time it was delivered, cast members came out singing "Happy Birthday". One time, at Liberty Tree Tavern, a cast member also sprinkled confetti over the table and gave me some extra in a little box, telling me it was "For my scrapbook".
I would not count on the restaurant doing anything to recognize your celebration as everyone seems to be celebrating something while they are in WDW.
Happy Anniversary! Hope you have a magical trip!

We have a trip planned for our 10 year anniversary in 2018 and I would love to surprise my wife with a special dinner like we had when we were engaged.
I know they do not offer divers to come down with messages anymore, but I was wondering if anyone has had any luck getting anything special at the restaurant for a celebration (beyond the usual dessert they provide for celebrations)
The only thing that is guaranteed is well wishes from castmembers if you wear your celebration buttons. Beyond that, if you want something special for your dinner, it is best to order and pay for it yourself. With thousands celebrating their birthday, anniversary, engagement, wedding, family reunion, first visit, or other life changing events at DW every day, it is impossible for the castmembers to recognize everyone's celebration. There is not even a "usual dessert" that you can count on. You can check the cake thread at the top of this board or the Disney Floral & Gifts website.

The only thing that is guaranteed is well wishes from castmembers if you wear your celebration buttons. Beyond that, if you want something special for your dinner, it is best to order and pay for it yourself. With thousands celebrating their birthday, anniversary, engagement, wedding, family reunion, first visit, or other life changing events at DW every day, it is impossible for the castmembers to recognize everyone's celebration.

While this may unfortunately be true now, this was certainly not the case years ago. As I mentioned before, I was originally able to arrange a few special things like a custom menu with photos and the diver (all free of charge) 9 years ago. Sadly WDW has moved away from these types of experiences, but I don't think it has anything to do with attendance.

While this may unfortunately be true now, this was certainly not the case years ago. As I mentioned before, I was originally able to arrange a few special things like a custom menu with photos and the diver (all free of charge) 9 years ago. Sadly WDW has moved away from these types of experiences, but I don't think it has anything to do with attendance.
No it probably has to do with the internet and boards like disboard Facebook etc. I suspect that yes occasionally they did a personalized menu or a divee with a sign. In the age of the internet now that goes online and they have people demanding they have the same special treatment and what was once a bit of pixie dust is now expected for everyone and it becomes too much for the restaurant so they shut it down. I don't blame them. People take things to the extreme and then get upset when Disney or any company really says enough.

No it probably has to do with the internet and boards like disboard Facebook etc. I suspect that yes occasionally they did a personalized menu or a divee with a sign. In the age of the internet now that goes online and they have people demanding they have the same special treatment and what was once a bit of pixie dust is now expected for everyone and it becomes too much for the restaurant so they shut it down. I don't blame them. People take things to the extreme and then get upset when Disney or any company really says enough.

Well I'm certainly not complaining. Although I am sad that these types of experiences are less frequent, I am grateful for every aspect of my WDW vacation. Whether it's a special interaction with a CM, or just a passing high-five as we enter the park, the CMs are what make my trips extra special.

I think it is because social media has ruined any opportunity to do something extra for people. It is a shame, but I think the restaurant personal had to deal with a great deal of backlash for people whose "requests" were not able to be met.
We also were the recipients of a CR special treat when we celebrated my husbands birthday. The Diver was awesome. The restaurant forgot the personalized menu with a picture, but we were so thrilled with the rest of the event, and it was an event in our lives! LOL! we never even noticed until much later. I would not have said anything under any circumstances, but apparently there were scenes that took place often. So no more special occasions.

I agree with the others. In this age of social media and the extreme entitlement mentality of many, it became a huge negative for Disney.
Sad commentary on the times

I agree with the others. In this age of social media and the extreme entitlement mentality of many, it became a huge negative for Disney.
Sad commentary on the times

I agree. I can still remember how excited we were for that special celebration, and part of the anticipation was knowing that it may not happen. I know that makes no sense, but honestly we all were ready for the surprise, because it was not promised. When that diver showed up, my husband was over the moon, but because we had not been sure, we were as well. I am so sorry that others will not have that same extraordinary experience

Back in 2007 I arranged a special dinner for my then girlfriend and I at Coral Reef. With the help of the manager and staff, they provided a custom menu and arranged a diver to come to the window next to our table with a sign asking her to marry me. It was a wonderful evening and the staff was amazing (even if the food wasn't that great)

1) Gone.
2) No longer available.
3) Too many people ordered the special menus.
4) Was this a problem?
5) No really, as they added two additional people to make up the menus.
6) The problem were the complainers (guests):
. . . people would arrive late and complain the diver with the under water congratulations chalkboard didn't appear, although the diver was there at the appointed time
. . . people would complain that ALL the photos they sent in were not included on the limited-space menu
. . . people would actually yell and scream at the podium person (aka: SEATER) if they didn't get their menu or diver
7) Basically, it was the guest that caused the menus and diver signs to be stopped.
8) Like the comic strip POGO would say, " We have met the enemy, and it is us!"

Last edited:
1) Gone.
2) No longer available.
3) Too many people ordered the special menus.
4) Was this a problem?
5) No really, as they added two additional people to make up the menus.
6) The problem were the complainers (guests):
. . . people would arrive late and complain the diver with the under water congratulations chalkboard didn't appear, although the diver was there at the appointed time
. . . people would complain that ALL the photos they sent in were not included on the limited-space menu
. . . people would actually yell and scream at the podium person (aka: SEATER) if they didn't get their menu or diver
7) Basically, it was the guest that caused the menus and diver signs to be stopped.
8) Like the comic strip POGO would say, " We have met the enemy, and it is us!"

It is sad though. That meal is one of our more treasured memories from a very special trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter