Does booking last-minute DCL save $?

jourknee2master

Earning My Ears
I am planning on booking a last-minute anniversary cruise for my partner & me for 9/30 on the Disney Wish. I see quite a bit of availability. Should I wait till we are at the 10 day window to see if the rate will drop? Or, in your experience, are rates pretty much locked in at this point?

Would love some feedback!

I am planning on booking a last-minute anniversary cruise for my partner & me for 9/30 on the Disney Wish. I see quite a bit of availability. Should I wait till we are at the 10 day window to see if the rate will drop? Or, in your experience, are rates pretty much locked in at this point?

Generally speaking, cruise fares rise as space is filled onboard, causing prices closer to cruise date to cost more.

That said, ON OCCASION, if space isn't filling up at the rate that DCL likes, they may offer last minute, restricted fares (*GT rates). Typically these will be offered about 1-3 months out from a cruise. But they only last until the desired number of rooms have been booked that DCL wants booked at that time.

Only saves you money if they offer restricted rates. Or you can book with a military, interline, cast member or Florida rate. I don’t think any of those will be offered for your cruise if they haven’t already been offered. Lots of discounts being offered right now cruising has never been cheaper. Just not that ship yet.

We just booked this cruise this past week! I have been looking since late August thinking about doing a last-minute Wish cruise, and it appears that Disney is not discounting the Wish at all. All the last-minute VGT rates have been on the other 4 ships.

Only saves you money if they offer restricted rates. Or you can book with a military, interline, cast member or Florida rate. I don’t think any of those will be offered for your cruise if they haven’t already been offered. Lots of discounts being offered right now cruising has never been cheaper. Just not that ship yet.
Actually, as another poster has pointed out, GT rates are starting to appear for the Wish. October 31st is one, for example. VGT is available right now.

Actually, as another poster has pointed out, GT rates are starting to appear for the Wish. October 31st is one, for example. VGT is available right now.
Nice. I do feel like if they were going to offer them for September 30 they would have done it by now. It seems like they start dropping 2-4 months ahead most of the time. I would not book anything way ahead of time in this economy I would be kicking myself if the price dropped. Cruises seem to be the only thing going down in price not up.

Interesting. However, probably advice to OP still stands as if they are discounting cruises in October, that likely means the Sept 30 sailing OP is looking to book is not going to be discounted.

I would expect a lot of discounted cruises over the next year, better to hold out. I'm not sure why my other post got deleted, but whatever.

IGT (inside GTY), OGT (ocean view GTY) and VGT (verandah GTY) are discounted rates which come with restrictions. You must pay in full at time of booking, there are no changes allowed, you can't pick your own stateroom number. But, the perk is that is a discounted rate. We have done several of these *GT rates in the different categories and have always been happy with your cabin assignment (which you will get about 2 weeks before cruise). Your mileage may vary but if you really want to sail the Wish and you really don't mind where you may end up, book a VGT....probably will be only discount for the Wish.

As mentioned all the other ships have *GT rates more frequently.

MJ

I'm not sure why my other post got deleted, but whatever.
I can see your posts #3, #7 and #9. There’s been a glitch the past few days sometimes preventing posters from viewing. I doubt anything was deleted. Hopefully it will get fixed soon.

I can see your posts #3, #7 and #9. There’s been a glitch the past few days sometimes preventing posters from viewing. I doubt anything was deleted. Hopefully it will get fixed soon.
Yeah I saw the Momof twins posted after me and I can’t see it. A couple of days ago a couple of people quoted me and I couldn’t see the replies. I was wondering what they said that got deleted Lol.

Yeah I saw the Momof twins posted after me and I can’t see it. A couple of days ago a couple of people quoted me and I couldn’t see the replies. I was wondering what they said that got deleted Lol.
You can go to any poster's history and see what they've posted. Just hover over their avatar/username and click on "messages" link.

You can go to any poster's history and see what they've posted. Just hover over their avatar/username and click on "messages" link.
I didn’t think to do that because I didn’t realize there was an issue until today. I just assumed mods deleted them.

IGT (inside GTY), OGT (ocean view GTY) and VGT (verandah GTY) are discounted rates which come with restrictions. You must pay in full at time of booking, there are no changes allowed, you can't pick your own stateroom number. But, the perk is that is a discounted rate. We have done several of these *GT rates in the different categories and have always been happy with your cabin assignment (which you will get about 2 weeks before cruise). Your mileage may vary but if you really want to sail the Wish and you really don't mind where you may end up, book a VGT....probably will be only discount for the Wish.

As mentioned all the other ships have *GT rates more frequently.

MJ
Do you happen to know if you book a stateroom 'with restrictions' but purchase the travel protection, can you still cancel for any reason to get a cruise credit?

Do you happen to know if you book a stateroom 'with restrictions' but purchase the travel protection, can you still cancel for any reason to get a cruise credit?

I do not know. I always buy insurance from an outside company. Sorry.

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter