Does boat transportation to HS/Epcot run during Tstorms?

Tiggr88

Never let facts get in the way of a good opinion
Just wondering if they run when there is lightning. I'll be staying at Swan next week and would expect some afternoon thunderstorms. Assuming the skyliner would also be down, how do people staying at BC/YC, BW and Swan/Dolphin get to either park? I know when the skyliner goes down they are supposed to have buses, but I also know that can be inconvenient and not always reliable, especially for the first ones to start arriving.

I had to take a bus back from HS after hours when the boats had stopped running and they stuck the bus stop way out near the end for a very long walk from the gate as well. I guess because it was only used sporadically.

You answered your own question. If the Skyliner and/or boats are down, they'll use buses instead. And the boats and Skyliner will definitely not be running if there's lightning/storms in the area; that's a huge safety risk.

@Tiggr88 - since the Swan doesn't use Disney busing I would assume just like Disney that they would roll out buses to Epcot & DHS, the question is how long would that take or if they will have them on standby. You might use the Text Us! feature on the SwanDolphin mobile app to ask how it works.

@Tiggr88 - since the Swan doesn't use Disney busing I would assume just like Disney that they would roll out buses to Epcot & DHS, the question is how long would that take or if they will have them on standby. You might use the Text Us! feature on the SwanDolphin mobile app to ask how it works.
Swan pays Disney for transportation to EPCOT and DHS. Unless something has very recently changed, Disney supplies bus replacement service as needed.

@Lewisc that's good to hear, I wasn't sure if that was still the case or not. Figured it would be tough to spin up busses for both DHS/Epcot on short notice, but Disney has the ability to for sure. Thanks for clarifying.

Unless something has changed buses load from the front of EPCOT. Guests who arrive at the dock to a sign indicating boat service is temporarily suspended might as well walk to their hotel

There is no bus transportation from Epcot to the Epcot resorts. If the boats aren’t running, you walk, that’s your only option. If the skyliner is down, buses are provided from the front of Epcot to the skyliner resorts. But never to Epcot resorts.

As for Studios, yes a bus is eventually provided. But you’ll have quite a wait. We’ve ended up walking from Studios to YC in a heavy thunderstorm. Often, the 2 transportation divisions don’t seem to communicate well. Takes awhile for the bus managers to find out they need to send a bus & then they have to find an available bus & dispatch it.

There is no bus transportation from Epcot to the Epcot resorts. If the boats aren’t running, you walk, that’s your only option. If the skyliner is down, buses are provided from the front of Epcot to the skyliner resorts. But never to Epcot resorts.

As for Studios, yes a bus is eventually provided. But you’ll have quite a wait. We’ve ended up walking from Studios to YC in a heavy thunderstorm. Often, the 2 transportation divisions don’t seem to communicate well. Takes awhile for the bus managers to find out they need to send a bus & then they have to find an available bus & dispatch it.
We once got on a boat at Epcot about an hour before a dining reservation at Studios. A thunderstorm blew in and when we pulled up at the dock at Swan/Dolphin, they made everyone get off. We were told there would be buses, but they had no estimate as to when, so we walked the rest of the way. Honestly, I can't see how having guests stay on the boat is less safe than forcing them to walk with numerous lightning strikes in the area.

Honestly, I can't see how having guests stay on the boat is less safe than forcing them to walk with numerous lightning strikes in the area.

That is exactly what we were thinking as we walked back, along the water & under trees. We were scared the whole way. And seriously, the boat captains were yelling to guests that the boats were down & to go get a bus, the bus staff was saying go get on the boat. :headache:

Yeah it can be a while. Experienced this a couple years ago one afternoon. Was staying at YC and got on the boat at HS for my midday siesta and halfway to Swolphin we turned around and went back due to lightning in the area. The wait for buses was crazy. All Crescent Lake guests were sharing too, including Swolphin.

If I hadn’t been loaded down with a cardboard droid box and a big bag of souvenirs for coworkers I would have just hoofed it back, but by then it was a torrential downpour and I was worried about the box. I did see a few hardy souls attempt it though.

We once got on a boat at Epcot about an hour before a dining reservation at Studios. A thunderstorm blew in and when we pulled up at the dock at Swan/Dolphin, they made everyone get off. We were told there would be buses, but they had no estimate as to when, so we walked the rest of the way. Honestly, I can't see how having guests stay on the boat is less safe than forcing them to walk with numerous lightning strikes in the area.
Well, if people were smart they wouldn't be out walking in a thunderstorm, they would seek shelter until the lightning passes. Disney didn't force anyone to walk anywhere.

Well, if people were smart they wouldn't be out walking in a thunderstorm, they would seek shelter until the lightning passes. Disney didn't force anyone to walk anywhere.
True, but that $10 per person penalty if we missed the dining reservation didn't make staying put a particularly appealing option.

Just wondering if they run when there is lightning. I'll be staying at Swan next week and would expect some afternoon thunderstorms. Assuming the skyliner would also be down, how do people staying at BC/YC, BW and Swan/Dolphin get to either park? I know when the skyliner goes down they are supposed to have buses, but I also know that can be inconvenient and not always reliable, especially for the first ones to start arriving.

I had to take a bus back from HS after hours when the boats had stopped running and they stuck the bus stop way out near the end for a very long walk from the gate as well. I guess because it was only used sporadically.

Last summer we stayed at the Swan and went to extended evening hours at Epcot. It ended up storming and they had a bus set up to take us to the Swan which also stopped at the other Epcot resorts as well since the boats were shut down.

Keep in mind too - Florida thunderstorms especially in summer are very frequent and can pop up almost any time, but they also rarely last more than 30-45 minutes. It may still be raining, but the bands with the heavy lightning typically have shorter bands and waves that pass on - once the lightning has receded to 10+ miles away, even if still raining, you can safely walk to your destination, or by then optional busses should be up and running...even the boats should start up once lightning passes the 20 mile mark. And as mentioned, the restaurants will waive charges in reasonable situations where you had no way to make the reservation on time, and lightning activity shutting down transportation options is usually a very good excuse.

When in parks and on resort grounds, you're reasonably safe during lighting storms as Disney has extensive lightning rod/suppression systems on all buildings and structures - while not a guarantee, for the most part, lightning striking in park areas and resort areas will tend to congregate at the lightning rod points (those short metal rods you see on almost every building in Disney, which are grounded). The most vulnerable you would be is walking in open areas between parks or resorts, like the long paths to Grand Floridian from MK, or DHS to Boardwalk, etc. During heavy electrical activity, you'd be best advised to shelter in place until the lightning has moved past - again, 7-10 miles and receding is a good rule of thumb for moving about again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter