• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does anyone want to venture a guess when Disney World will be completely back to it's 2019 level again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bete

DIS Veteran
I know everything will not come back 100%. But I'm hoping for all the live park shows to be back, some park street entertainment, modified character meet and greets, parades and fireworks. I'd like to see the return of fast pass or equivalent and dining packages. Also I'm hoping all the resorts and restaurants will be open again, too. Will we get there in a year, two, or three?

I realize know one can predict the future of Covid, but I just feel and hope to get back to most of the good old days at Disney World. Supposedly, the US will have enough vaccines to go around our country by May. Maybe, we can even get herd immunity.

I'm thinking Disney World will have to try sooner or later to get back to more normal operations.

So, what are your thoughts on it?

18 months is a hopeful guess. 2-3 years is likely more conservative.

would you like some data on this? It’s anyone’s guess really. I’m not sure disney has any concrete numbers but instead a number of contingency plans.

Covids impact on tourism was a really good breakdown, but if you want the raw data, head over to Visit Florida research

I will say that the other parks will likely get there faster. LEGOLAND is practically normal (characters at distance, meal plans, fireworks). Universal Orlando is also adding quite a bit. Disney is dealing with PR and budget decisions.

This is based on absolutely nothing but my own musings, but as I go crazy waiting for the world to reopen, I like to speculate. I think a lot hinges on this summer. Covid numbers drop a lot in warm weather already. If that is paired with a lot of people getting vaccinated, hopefully the curve will continue to drop rapidly, as it has been, and by winter vaccines will mean it doesn’t go back up. If that is the case, I speculate that Disney will wait until cold weather season to be on the safe side, then, if it’s going ok, start announcing changes for early 2022.

What I think will take longer is making up for the ground lost during Covid. Bringing back or hiring thousands of employees and getting resorts running smoothly after a long break, for example. Also, if they use this time to make changes to things like FastPass instead of bringing back the old system, that will be more changes for them to trial and error and sort out.

I know everything will not come back 100%. But I'm hoping for all the live park shows to be back, some park street entertainment, modified character meet and greets, parades and fireworks. I'd like to see the return of fast pass or equivalent and dining packages. Also I'm hoping all the resorts and restaurants will be open again, too. Will we get there in a year, two, or three?

I realize know one can predict the future of Covid, but I just feel and hope to get back to most of the good old days at Disney World. Supposedly, the US will have enough vaccines to go around our country by May. Maybe, we can even get herd immunity.

I'm thinking Disney World will have to try sooner or later to get back to more normal operations.

So, what are your thoughts on it?
As far as variety and depth of entertainment offerings? Never. The pandemic taught Disney that they can charge the same prices while offering **far** less. They're never going back.

One of the articles said that it took disney 5 years to get back to their attendance after 9/11.
so it wasn’t till 2006 that they hit 2000 numbers.

that could possible translate to Disney not seeing increase in attendance numbers till 2025 (excluding revenge travel that first year “back”, it would likely be lower attendance for awhile)

we’ve experienced a collective trauma similar to 9/11. Lots of people with first hand and second hand PTSD related to travel and crowds in general.

it can be hard to think about Disney as a business, but they 100% are. If attendance isn’t there, or isn’t stable and predictable (because they can see 12-18 months out in many cases) they won’t be bringing back things that won’t bring them revenue.

Wow Fido Chuckwagon that's pretty bleak. Mostly rides will not attract the seniors back or families with smaller children in the long run. That may work while there's limited capacity at the parks, but that strategy will not work when wanting a full capacity park again. Time will tell but I hope you are wrong. Even other guests like to see a few shows even if it's just for a rest. I really feel this has always distinguished Disney World as a better park experience and worth the price.

Wow Fido Chuckwagon that's pretty bleak. Mostly rides will not attract the seniors back or families with smaller children in the long run. That may work while there's limited capacity at the parks, but that strategy will not work when wanting a full capacity park again. Time will tell but I hope you are wrong. Even other guests like to see a few shows even if it's just for a rest. I really feel this has always distinguished Disney World as a better park experience and worth the price.
I also am not sure everything is coming back as things were being cut before covid. covid just moved some faster, looking at the cuts of groups esp at EPCOT

I also am not sure everything is coming back as things were being cut before covid. covid just moved some faster, looking at the cuts of groups esp at EPCOT
Look at the interviews about the Disneyland annual pass system.
It’s so little to do with the pass holder and so much benefit to the company to change things, it almost makes me sick to read how gleeful they are to have sunsetted the program during the closer.

But I'm hoping for all the live park shows to be back, some park street entertainment, modified character meet and greets, parades and fireworks. I'd like to see the return of fast pass or equivalent and dining packages. Also I'm hoping all the resorts and restaurants will be open again, too.
Live shows: 2021
Street entertainment: whenever Bob Chapek retires
Character meets: 2021
Parades: 2021
Fireworks: 2021
Fastpass: Never
Fastpass equivalent: whenever they can get the tech to work
Dining packages: I don’t understand the appeal so I haven’t paid attention
Resorts: 2021
Restaurants: 2021

100% Capacity - by the 50th especially since the government has already said they could, they lost BILLIONS during the closure they need to make the 50th a cash cow

Fireworks - I suspect Oct 1st but could see by summer

Dining Plan - probably soon, unless they're changing it, I don't understand why they haven't brought it back, no matter how convenient it is for guests It's really for the parks benefit, they make a killing on it.

Resorts - probably most by the 50th

Meet and greets where you can actually hug characters - I wouldn't be surprised if this is a few more years, 2022 at the earliest but maybe not til 2023 this will hinge a lot on vaccine effectiveness and whether social distancing can be relaxed.

Live shows - hopefully 2021 even if they limit capacity, perhaps not til 2022 after they've recouped some lost revenue.

that's just my 2 cents

There's WDW BC (before COVID) and WDW AC (after COVID). WDW will never be quite the same as the "good old days" and you need to let go of the past. The recovery will not be swift.

Are some of the changes permanent? Maybe. Will all the shows be back? Possibly but not this year. Will all the shows be the same? Doubtful. Will M&Gs be back this year? Some with modifications. Will the fireworks be back at MK? Yes, but don't be surprised if it's a ticketed event in the short-term. Will dining plans be back? Positively when more resorts and restaurants open up but I have a feeling this could be pushed to next year.

I expect there to be an undeniable difference between the WDW you get on October 1 2021 and the WDW you experience on October 1 2022. But then again I expect there to be many positive changes between April 1 2021 and October 1 2021.

Dining Plan - probably soon, unless they're changing it, I don't understand why they haven't brought it back, no matter how convenient it is for guests It's really for the parks benefit, they make a killing on it.

They haven’t brought it back due to limited quick service options currently available and especially due to the limited capacity in TS restaurants.

Could you imagine how many people would complain if they got the dining plan and couldn’t book any TS meals?

Once restaurant capacity ramps up and more dining options are available again, they’ll likely bring it back.

I know it's probably an unpopular opinion, but I'd be okay if the character M&Gs never came back. The Cavalcades were pretty cool. And you didn't waste so much time standing in lines to meet a particular character.

It’s all about generating revenue streams, moreso now to keep the parks afloat.
I'd like to see the return of fast pass or equivalent
They’d be smart to skip directly to ‘paid’ max pass. Worked well for us at DL.
know everything will not come back 100%. But I'm hoping for all the live park shows to be back, some park street entertainment, modified character meet and greets, parades and fireworks. I'd like to see the return of fast pass or equivalent and dining packages. Also I'm hoping all the resorts and restaurants will be open again, too. Will we get there in a year, two, or three?
Don’t expect the live entertainment to ever come back to same quality or quantity unless offered in a fee-for type setting (hoop dee doo, etc.)

Believe they will run as lean as possible. The 50th will bring in fans without needing to add expensive hoopla. The remainder on your list just doesn’t seem realistic IMO until 3rd quarter 2022.

The meet and greets will return for sure. They are cheaper than creating a new attraction or show, keep people occupied in line and provide those Instagram shots that are like free advertising for Disney.

Plus, they drive revenue by selling those photopass images taken by the new automated cameras.

I know it's probably an unpopular opinion, but I'd be okay if the character M&Gs never came back. The Cavalcades were pretty cool. And you didn't waste so much time standing in lines to meet a particular character.

Everyone has their own preferences, but my kids have had very personal interactions with face characters that were worth every minute of waiting in line. Lifelong memory kind of stuff. Those feelings unfortunately can’t be replicate by an impersonal cavalcade. I would be so sad if character meet and greets didn’t ever return, particularly face characters. Some of those interactions were just pure magic.

I don’t mind the cavalcades, but not at the expense of personal experiences.

Last edited:
Yeah, this is the issue. Chapek already wanted to cut stuff to maximize profits. Disney is all short term profits now at the expense of any long term brand loyalty. New shows, parades, etc do not create short term profits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter