Does anyone use an over the door organizer to keep the room neat and organized? Any other room organizing tips?

jacksmom

DIS Veteran
Would love recommendations for a good organizer. Also would love some room organizing tips! Going with teens, don’t want the room to become a mess.

We only go for long weekends, usually 5 days 4 nights and in January or February (leaving in 20 days!). We aren't ordering groceries and we only have 3 people.
I always unpack my suitcase and use the drawers, then we use my suitcase as the dirty clothes hamper, it is standing upright, partially unzipped, just shove in the dirty clothes. We hang up jackets and sweatshirts, line up shoes, and use the shelves under the sinks for toiletry bags. We use the Disney shampoo, conditioner, soap, anything to cut down on items packed.
I bring my travel plug (hubby bought me one for my work travel), it has 4 electric ports and 3 usb ports, we can get everything charged and kept in 1 spot. We have found that often the plugs in the rooms don't always work.
We also straighten up the room every night before we go to bed so we can leave quickly in the morning to rope drop.
Good luck!!

Last edited:
Probably depends on how many days you will be there and if flying vs driving. Some sort of organizer sounds like one more thing to pack to take with you and if flying, your available luggage space is already limited. Why not just put clothes in the drawers?

Depends where you're staying. Some rooms have a lot of drawer space. Some don't (I'm looking at you, Beach Club Villas studios).

Some rooms have space under the bed(s) where you can store your luggage. Some don't. Some people report that there was space but it was not clean under there.

Thanks for the responses, we are driving and staying at Beach Club. Was thinking about an over the door organizer for all the small things that always seem to be lying around everywhere?

Look at The Container Store. They may have some suitable over-the-door gadgets.

At any hotel, I always use one of the top drawers as a designated junk drawer. All the small items like Magic Bands, hats, chargers go into that drawer. Our teen daughter gets her own drawer to contain her excessive collection of makeup and other unnecessary beauty products.

And this wouldn’t work for you since you have teenage kids, but for those with little ones, put complete outfits, undies and socks included, in a gallon ziplock bags and squeeze the air out. Makes packing so easy, and my 2 DDs who were 3 and 6 the 1st time we went, loved me throwing them a ziplock back each morning with the outfit in it for them to put on.

Use a clear over the door shoe holder for all the small things. Got this tip from Disboards 20 years ago before our 1st Disney trip, and it worked great :) Target has one for $10 and it folds up small for travel.
We have used one for the last couple of trips. We bring more stuff than CVS has in stock. I could do brain surgery in the room if needed. DH feels better having it , than dealing with looking for cold stuff or extra bandaids, online/in stores.

We used to just live out of suitcase, but spent too much time searching. Now we sort of unpack. Hang up clothes, put socks and underwear in large ziplock bags. Put those in bags in drawers. Leave "just in case" clothes in suitcase. Those things like extra shoes, gloves, jacket (talking about winter trip)

Last edited:
We use an over the door shoe organizer. It takes up hardly any space in the luggage, is cheap and keeps everything organized and off the night stands, small bathroom counters, etc. It makes it easy and quick to find anything you need.

We stay at POP and we never had to take one of those. We found that there are plenty of cubby holes to put misc items. We just push shoes slightly under the bed so we don't trip on them in the night.

I have a few of these hard paper folding boxes, that we had used and reused.. over and over again. They fold open no lids.

When we had teenage girls at home, they each got a box to put their stuff in, phones, cords, glasses/sunglasses, all the little stuff, DH and I used our for stuff like car keys, wallets, glasses/sunglasses/ cords/ chargers.

A multi-plug (2) is really something that I never ever travel without, and extension cords (2)

Over the door pocketed hangers are nice, for hair accessories, make-up, contacts, Qtips, and other little things especially with teenagers.

Another thing I bring is plastic cups, for storing tooth brushes/paste. So that everything stays off the counter itself.

At night before we hit the bed, we repack the backpack, and lay out what to wear, meaning everything , so we can shower, dress and get out of the room.

Ziploc bags... chip clip... napkins, or paper towels..

We use 2 of the over door shoe things. One on the outside of bathroom door and one for back of front door. For the front door, anything we need to leave for parks: sunscreen, magic bands, hats, sunglasses, etc.

The other shoe organizer holds snack packages that we order from grocery store: prepackaged Goldfish, protein bars, trial mix, etc.

We use pop up hampers with a few dryer sheets mixed in with dirty clothes. I always pack a small box of dryer sheets to freshen things up. 5 boys, it’s a must.

One drawer in the room is kept as a “lost” drawer. Anything I find left out gets thrown in the drawer.

We also gather up all the Disney placed items in the room we don’t need (table cards, coffee maker, ice bucket) and put away to clear all the surfaces.

They sell small folding cubes at the dollar store. Everyone has their own to dump their junk in at the end of the day. It’s also a good place to keep each person’s personal items like deodorant, face wipes, toothbrushes and toothpaste. For some reason, every one has their own favorite toothpaste 🤷

We also use those folding cubes to help corral groceries. Breakfast stuff in one, snacks in a couple of other ones. These we line up on the dresser, along with paper towel roll, zipper bags, hand sanitizer and baby wipes.

Shoes all over the room used to be a problem, but now we use a small pop up hamper by the door where everyone dumps their shoes. It’s not ideal to dig for your shoes each morning, but it’s the best solution I’ve been able to come up with so far.

Yes, we are “those people” who bring (or include in the grocery order) our own toilet paper, paper towels, Clorox wipes, little air freshener sprays, dryer sheets and baby wipes. Did I mention five boys??

We also use one of the night stands as a charging station. We have a multi charger and power strip set up and all charging cords, battery backups, etc. go in the drawer of the nightstand. All phones, games and other devices have to charged on that nightstand. Keeping all the electronic equipment in one place has been so helpful!

This would be why we switched to the Vistana.
The teens and all their stuff got shoved in their own room and bathroom, where they maintained that the floor is the best place to store things. They were such lovable slobs that no matter what I did, walking in to the room at the end of a park day sucked all the life out of me. The room was always Cluttter-themed.

This would be why we switched to the Vistana.
The teens and all their stuff got shoved in their own room and bathroom, where they maintained that the floor is the best place to store things. They were such lovable slobs that no matter what I did, walking in to the room at the end of a park day sucked all the life out of me. The room was always Cluttter-themed.
And they don’t even seem to even notice the chaos they leave behind

Shoes all over the room used to be a problem, but now we use a small pop up hamper by the door where everyone dumps their shoes. It’s not ideal to dig for your shoes each morning, but it’s the best solution I’ve been able to come up with so far.
Just thinking out loud, not sure if it would work......Not sure how big these shoes are, but for younger kids, what about magnetic hooks . Hang shoes by laces/ straps on the back of the door? It's metal , correct?

I totally unpack and put my suitcases either under the bed or in the closet. If I'm with my son and drawer space is limited, I put my dirty clothes in a big trash bag I bring in the closet. Shoes go lined up either in the closet if I'm in a deluxe or against the wall if in a value or moderate. Someone up thread mentioned a junk drawer and I do that as well, one of the smaller drawers is always for MBs, ball caps, chargers when not in use, etc. The one think I do always use is a hanging toiletry bag. I don't take anything out of it and put on the shelf in the bathroom. Everything goes right back into it after I've used it so no junk laying on the cabinet and nothing to get left behind. I stays packed at all times at home, if I use something up like toothpaste, I replace it immediately when I get home. I rarely travel with shampoo, conditioner or shower gel, just use what's in the room. I'm also one of those people who straightens the room up before I leave for the day. Nothing laying around. I also bring small trash bags to put in the trash cans since Disney doesn't do that any more. If those get full I take them out myself. I usually request no mouse service while I'm there. They will pop in every few days and replace the towels and, of course, they have the infamous room checks every day but I just don't need them in my room.

My son, on the other hand, never unpacks and just lives out of his suitcase. He will put his dirty clothes in a different trash bag but otherwise, nope slob. Every night I usually sort of push his stuff over into a corner out of the way so at least I don't have to see it and won't trip over his boat sized shoes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter