• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does anyone plan on paper anymore?

Every year I do an excel spreadsheet. It's one page with every day listed with an excel "block" for every hour. Then I color code everything from ADR's, Counter Service meals, Fast Pass times, parades, fireworks, etc. I used to carry a copy with me to the parks, but now I just save this file on my phone to view. Works pretty good and it's easy to see everything at a glance and move things around during the planning stages. :-)

I do a big excel spreadsheet too. Color coded with FP+'s, ADR's, parkhours, fireworks times, just about everything we could need on an 11 x 17 sheet of paper. The only difference is that I do print mine out & keep it on me at all times. It's just easier for me to pull out & look at everything at once rather than trying to view on my phone (I'd have to zoom in & out a million times). On our last trip I was checking it on the bus to a park & a lady sitting across from me started laughing saying she does the same thing.We had a nice conversation & bonded over our crazy spreadsheets.

Paper planner here too! I have my touring plans and print them up and have everything in a old-fashioned duo-tang, with tabs for each park, a tab for food and a tab for each park outside of Disney.

Last edited:
I make a grid in MS Excel and then put plans on it for each day. (not details or anything and we don't really do ADRs anyway)

:PI feel less cookoo now! My husband looked at my wall and laughed, he understands how much work it takes though. My mom is coming for a visit Thursday she's going to think I've lost it.

Oh and while trees were killed at some point, I am using paper with my daughters art on the backs and will recycle when done!

I will probably write everything down, it is mostly dining and where to be every day, a few days I have specific order of things though so I don't miss the festival of fantasy parade or something! You guys have some great tips here for keeping organized!

In the past I've been fine with a notebook but did most of my planning in my head or on the computer but this time around I cannot wrap my head around anything but a big wall size planning grid. I hung papers for each day and I have ADRs and events on sticky notes to move around.

I don't know if it is just me or if other people are very visual and plan this way? Curious!
I am extremely visual, and a planner by nature, so while I LOVE the MDE app, I still need to look at everything to visualize if it is going to work out. So I use an excel spreadsheet. I put in the opening and closing of the park that we are going to, the times of the parades and fireworks, all of our scheduled meals and fast passes. The crazy thing is that I color code things and pour over this spreadsheet tweaking details and changing things all the time. Then I print out like 4 copies and pack them with all our travel documents. I am a nut.

I'm still using paper. Just finished a preliminary spread for our 2016 trip. Last trip was 2011 so I've never used MDE. I may keep some things on paper anyway--just in case!

My next trip in oct/nov is our longest so I was having trouble pacing out the week..still am! But I need park hours and recommendations for November so right now kind of a waste of time lol. Going off last years for now. Bt it helped me to see what we are doing when,,late nights, early mornings etc.

In the past I've been fine with a notebook but did most of my planning in my head or on the computer but this time around I cannot wrap my head around anything but a big wall size planning grid. I hung papers for each day and I have ADRs and events on sticky notes to move around.

I don't know if it is just me or if other people are very visual and plan this way? Curious!

Count me as another paper planner! I use a new notebook and calendar for setting up adr's, etc. Then I print out confirmation's, and keep all of it in a pocket notebook. I also research interesting things, facts, to do's, that I want to check out and put in the notebook. But I probably do something most of you don't do!!!!!!
I write our adr's/ fp's for the day on a small sheet of paper and put in my pocket to take with me that day. I have one made out for each day. I don't have a smart phone or tablet, so the small piece of paper is my itinerary.!!! It works and is not as big and hefty as a phone/tablet.:)

I've always (since first trip in 1999) used excel for my planning. I do it for all trips - the family has been known to request "a trip without the spreadsheet" from time to time!

Count me as another paper planner! I use a new notebook and calendar for setting up adr's, etc. Then I print out confirmation's, and keep all of it in a pocket notebook. I also research interesting things, facts, to do's, that I want to check out and put in the notebook. But I probably do something most of you don't do!!!!!!
I write our adr's/ fp's for the day on a small sheet of paper and put in my pocket to take with me that day. I have one made out for each day. I don't have a smart phone or tablet, so the small piece of paper is my itinerary.!!! It works and is not as big and hefty as a phone/tablet.:)
Me too! Me too!! I had my ADR times and confirmations for each day.

Obviously I use online services to reserve ADRs, book rooms and such, but I do create a handwritten grid on paper which basically is broken down to morning/noon/night. I put info like which park we will be in, what ADRs we have and the 3 initial FPs for that day. Then I copy it and give a copy to each member of my party so that folks can do what they like. Sometimes we split up and just meet back up for dinners..... and my 70+ year old in laws are not smart phone users..... so the paper is greatly appreciated by them.

Although there is the APP to use, I type my plans up. I love to type everything on paper and have a hard copy on me at all times.

However, aside from ADRs, I do not set them in stone because I want to make sure I also have a care free enjoyable vacation too where I do not want to be forced by any FP+ or time constraint. I just finished typing up my daily plans with all of our reservations and FP return times and make sure I added a calendar of each date of our stay with all ours and EMH times. We have park hoppers to help alleviate any added pressure. I type them up more as guidelines I guess you could say.

I still use paper before I make my 180 day ADRs. I get the park hours mapped out on a grid and then pick the parks I want to go to that day. Don't see the need to go with excel yet. I've been there enough if I miss something, we can do it again. Once things are booked they are in my phone on MDE.
We leave very early tomorrow and I'm so excited!

Yep...color coded spreadsheet here with everything, times, reservation numbers, etc..... but I shrink it and laminate about 5 copies so it doesn't get wet, crumpled or otherwise ruined!!! I keep a full size paper one in the room for changes, notes, etc.. I try to shrink it down to 4 x 6 so it fits easily into whatever I need. And the multi copies (laminated) are because I lose or misplace them!!!

When I'm planning a Disney vacation, I still get out a blank piece of computer paper, draw out the calendar, and then start filling in the days by the hour. Reservations, parks, tours, etc. Still works the best for me.

And our family members probably think we all belong in some sort of 12 step program. Hi, I'm James and I'm an obsessive Disney planner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter