• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does anyone like Genie+?

My dislike of G+ is that while it could save time in line (depending on availability and what you want to ride), it didn't save time overall. I could spend an hour in line, or two or more hours waiting for my return time. It works if you have other things like snacks and shows to fill the time, but once you've already done all of that, you're just waiting in a different place.

My thoughts regarding G+ - my perspective as a solo older person using an ECV has a lot to do with it, but I truly liked using it for the past 2 trips this year and will use it going forward. If I feel like waking up at 6:58am to see if I can book something at the particular park I've gotten a reservation for - fine. If not.. fine also. There's nothing I MUST do at any time. Normally I'll book something for at least 2 hours after I've gotten to that park - so even if I plan on going to an early entry, I'm not worrying about scootering to what I have G+'d. However, if something is available close to where I enter, I will select an earlier time I use it mostly as a way to leap frog - for my next attraction or a few things later on - and/or based on what's available figure what I'll go to or wait for next. So if let's say Attraction A has a 60 minute wait, but there's a G+ available 80 minutes from now.. I'll take that and fill the space before with either another 60 minute wait, or whatever. It's a tool. I find getting around 5-7 times using this is what I've averaged (where that many are available)

Overall, I do not like it. We had a great day with it at MK. First day we arrived late afternoon so decided not to get it as we didn’t know what time we would arrive. Our second day was at Epcot and there just aren’t enough good rides there to justify it, but I did buy an ILL for Remy. Second time at MK was an extended day so we decided to stack rides for a late afternoon arrival and that worked really well. After getting back to the hotel around 2 am the LAST thing I wanted to do was get up by 7 am to start Genie + for our day at HS. It was a pretty miserable day there so we just watched some shows, went to Oga’s Cantina and did StarTours a bunch.

We liked it at Disneyland - but as someone said it works best if there is a medium crowd. With Few people in the Park, the lines are no biggie without it and you can go by Land instead of criss-crossing, and with a Lot of people in the Park on Genie+ the time slots may be gone before you "get your money's worth." That said, we arrive early and don't use it in the morning when short lines, then are strategic about using it to get on 2 or 3 rides (timed with the ILL ride(s). My legs thank me for every ride we can mostly walk on to with it. Currently at DL you also get "free" photopass with Genie+ - and we got one good photo from three photoshoot sessions, not sure that was a huge benefit, but thought I'd mention it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter