Does anyone know the recipe for Martha's Chocolate Cake?

Robinrs

DIS Veteran
My sister and I were watching Martha Stewart on the Food Network Aug 5th and she had a picnic special where she featured the Perfect Chocolate Cake.

Taking for granted we'd find the recipe on her site, neither of us wrote it down! But to this day I'm not able to find it.

My sister, who BTW makes the most perfect chocolate cake EVER, is determined to try this recipe. Does anyone know it? I remember it included coffee and she coated the pans with cocoa.

Thanks in advance!

I just checked the foodtv website, but for some reason that recipe is not available. Sorry - thought I could help.

Thanks, Beth. I tried that route also! It's funny how we just take for granted that we'll just FIND it on the net, so we don't tape or take notes anymore!

My sister bought all of the ingredients and now doesn't have the recipe. Oh well....

Don't give up so easily!

Perfect Chocolate Cake

1 c. cocoa
2 c. boiling water
1 c. butter or margarine, softened
2 1/2 c. sugar
4 eggs
2 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
2 t baking soda
1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 t. vanilla extract
Whipped Cream Filling
Perfect Chocolate Frosting

Combine cocoa and boiling water, stirring until smooth; set aside.
Cream butter; gradually add sugar, beating well at medium speed of an electric mixer. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl; add to creamed mixture alternately with cocoa mixture, beating at low speed of electric mixer, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in vanilla. Do not overbeat.
Line three 9-inch greased cakepans with wax paper; grease and flour wax paper. Pour batter into cakepans. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove from pans, peel off wax paper, and cool layers completely on wire racks.

Spread Whipped Cream Filling between layers; spread Perfect Chocolate Frosting on top and sides of cake. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Yield: one 3-layer cake.

Whipped Cream Filling

1 c. whipping cream
1 t vanilla extract
1/4 c. powdered sugar

Beat whipping cream and vanilla until foamy; gradually add powdered sugar, beating until soft peaks form. Chill. Yield: about 2 cups

Perfect Chocolate Frosting

1 6 oz. package semisweet chocolate morsels
1/2 c. half and half
3/4 c. butter or margarine
2 1/2 c. sifted powdered sugar

Combine first three ingredients in a heavy saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring until chocolate melts. Remove from heat; add powdered sugar, mixing well. Set saucepan in ice, and beat at low speed of an electric mixer until frosting holds its shape and loses its gloss. Add a few more drops of half and half if needed to make spreading consistency. Yield: 2 1/2 cups.

Basic Chocolate Cake
1/2 c Butter, softened
2 c Sugar
3 Eggs
1 1/2 ts Vanilla
3 oz Unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
2 c Sifted cake flour
2 ts Baking soda
1/2 ts Salt
1 c Sour cream
1 c Boiling water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease & flour 2-9" cake pans.
Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs; beat until light and fluffy. Blend in vanilla and chocolate.
Sift flour, baking soda and salt. Add alternately with sour cream to chocolate mixture unti smooth and well combined. stir in boiling water. (Batter will be thin.)
Bake in prepared pans 35 minutes or until cakes test clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove to wire rack to cool completely. Frost as desired.

One Bowl Chocolate Cake

Butter for pans
1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for pans
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 cups sugar
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter 2 eight-by-two-inch square cake pans, line bottoms with parchment; butter, and dust with cocoa.

In electric mixer bowl, sift cocoa, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. On low, stir in eggs, 1 1/2 cups warm water, buttermilk, vegetable oil, and vanilla until smooth, about 3 minutes.

Divide batter between prepared pans. Bake, rotating once, until a tester comes out clean, 35 to 45 minutes. Let cakes cool on wire rack for 20 minutes, then remove from pans and cool completely, right side up on rack.

Makes 2 eight inch square layers.

Chocolate Cake
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pans
3/4 cup cocoa, Nestles, plus more for dusting
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 T pure vanilla extract
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
3 cups sifted cake flour (not self-rising)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup milk
Frosting:
16 oz semisweet chocolate chopped into small pieces
2 cups heavy cream

1. Heat oven to 350. Butter three 8-inch cake pans; line bottoms with parchment. Dust pans with cocoa; tap out any excess. Set aside. Sift cocoa into a medium bowl. Whisk in 1 cup boiling water. Let cool.
2. In bowl of an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter on low speed until light, 3 to 4 minutes, scraping down sides twice. Beat until smooth and fluffy.
3. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Whisk milk into the cocoa mixture. With mixer on low speed, alternate adding the flour and cocoa mixtures, a little at a time, starting and ending with the flour mixture. Divide evenly among pans.
4. Bake until a cake tester inserted into the middle of each cake comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Transfer cakes to a wire rack for 15 minutes. Invert pans, releasing cakes, and return to rack to cool, top sides up.
5. In the upper pot of a double boiler, combine chocolate and heavy cream. Place assembled double broiler over medium heat. Stir occasionally with a rubber spatula until chcolate has melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat.
6. Prepare an ice bath in a large bowl. Transfer 2 cups chocolate glaze to a medium bowl. Set glaze over ice bath; stir until glaze reaches the consistency of thick frosting.
7. Place one cake layer on a cardboard cake round. Using a frosting spatula, spread 1/2 cup frosting on top. Set the second layer on top of the first; spread another 1/2 cup frosting on top. Stack the third cake layer on other two. Spread remaining cup of frosting on top and sides, creating a smooth surface.
8. Set a wire rack over a baking pan. Place cake on rack. Using a ladle, pour the remaining warm glaze over top and sides. Let stand until glaze has set, about 20 minutes.
9. Though Martha's recipe calls for the cake to be decorated with edible pansies, Daniel recommends using fresh strawberries, fresh cherries of canned sour cherries, or raspberries before pouring on the chocolate glaze.

Well, I don't know if they are the right recipe, but they certainly sound yummy! Thanks Margie!

Well, to make a LONG story short, I got a PM from Margie J telling me to check out the Recipes Board. Mind you,it was the ONLY reason I signed on today so it was a GOOD THING... ;)

My sister was making dinner today for us so I emailed her this post right away. Needless to say she made the cake this afternoon and it was PERFECT! Moist, light, chocolatey, one of the best I've ever had.

Thanks so much Margie J! Now my family is threatening my sister for this cake. I told my parents and they're demanding one for this weekend! :bounce:

The one you are looking for from the Martha Stewart show is on the back of the Hershey's coco box. I had seen a previous show where she said this was the perfect chocolate cake. Since my DH is a chocolate cake nut, I tried it. It was wonderful.

We just had DH birthday for 50 and my daughter made that cake for it. Everyone loved it. We were hoping for left overs and there were none. She made a very large two layer sheet pan cake and it was all gone.

It tells you to add boiling water at the end. When you do it will look very runny, but it works. I did not believe this was going to be a cake when it went into the oven, the batter is so thin. It does turn out.

Webmomom, is the recipe you are talking about the same as the Basic Chocolate Cake above? I need to write these down since my kids love chocolate cake. Oh yeah, like I don't. :D

Mary Poppins.

No it is not. I found a box here is the recipe.

2 c sugar
3/4c Hersehey's Cocoa
1 3/4 cu flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 c milk
1/2 c vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 c boiling water

Heat oven to 350. Grease and flour pans. Combine dry ingredients in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat on med speed 2 min. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin) Pour into pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes. or until wooden pickinserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost with
frosting:earsboy: :earsboy:

this cake is real easy to make as you can see, a really very very good.

Robin, I saw that show, but I didn't write down the recipe. I seem to remember that Martha added some strong coffee, maybe in place of the boiling water?

Donna

That was two different shows. One of the shows had it where she made a chocolate cake adding strong coffee. The other show was the one with the Hershey recipe and she stated at that show this was the best chocolate cake she ever made. When she made the one with the coffee she said it was a good chocolate cake, but did not elaborate how good it was like she did with the other recipe.

LOL! Now you have me more confused than Martha usually does. My idea of making a perfect chocolate cake is going to the bakery and buying one!!!

In Robin's original post, she said (quote): "My sister, who BTW makes the most perfect chocolate cake EVER, is determined to try this recipe. Does anyone know it? I remember it included coffee and she coated the pans with cocoa."

So ... I think Robin is looking for the one with coffee (didn't Martha use strong coffee or left over espresso or something?).

I guess Martha thinks every chocolate cake she makes is perfect!

Donna

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter