Does anyone know how to become an expert on a Disney Cruise for a free/discounted sailing?

DisneyNewbie76

Earning My Ears
Next stop is the toll free number for DCL, but I thought I would ask here first. Has anyone done this before? I am trying to get a family friend to book a trip on a future Cruise with my family, but as we get closer to the proposed date (August 2023) the prices keep creeping up. The patriarch is an award winning chef and could probably hold a demonstration or two over the course of a Cruise for a cheaper fare.

Next stop is the toll free number for DCL, but I thought I would ask here first. Has anyone done this before? I am trying to get a family friend to book a trip on a future Cruise with my family, but as we get closer to the proposed date (August 2023) the prices keep creeping up. The patriarch is an award winning chef and could probably hold a demonstration or two over the course of a Cruise for a cheaper fare.
I think this is a great idea. They may even pay him for his time and offer a free stateroom for his family.

I hope you tell us who you called and how it works out.

I am unsure that this is viable. Disney uses their own amazing head chefs from Palo or Remy for the cooking demonstrations they offer (called Anyone Can Cook and normally making one of the favorites from the main dining rooms).

I can’t imagine that they would want to shift from this when they already have a tried and true method. You can try, but I don’t predict excellent results.

I work in a totally different industry, but somewhat on the PR side and I can just tell you that if you’re having to call the 800 service line to inquire and or set up some type of partnership it’s probably not going to happen. Most companies choose their own influencers or partners for sponsorships/ marketing and these type of deals are done through different channels. Definitely not someone who is looking to get a cruise paid for an exchange for their services. Usually it’s the other way around a company is looking for their services and there’s payment involved both in cash and barter.

Last edited:
I don't know if Disney takes part, but a number of the YouTube cruise vloggers disclose when they get a free cruise. Or a greatly reduced cost cruise, but most of the vloggers are Travel Agents too so they get perks that way.
Two vloggers this year got a free HAL cruise in Australia, but only the cruise was free. They had to pay $10,000 each for roundtrip air fare out of their pocket. But I guess they make a LOT of money from YouTube views.

I don't know if Disney takes part, but a number of the YouTube cruise vloggers disclose when they get a free cruise. Or a greatly reduced cost cruise, but most of the vloggers are Travel Agents too so they get perks that way.
Two vloggers this year got a free HAL cruise in Australia, but only the cruise was free. They had to pay $10,000 each for roundtrip air fare out of their pocket. But I guess they make a LOT of money from YouTube views.
Disney definitely has had influencer cruises (media cruises are different but sometimes those lines can seem blurry). But Disney is the one reaching out and making contact in those cases. Disney actually hosts a number of influencer events throughout the year on both coasts. I’m sure they look at it as a worthwhile investment in exchange for the publicity they get.

Disney definitely has had influencer cruises (media cruises are different but sometimes those lines can seem blurry). But Disney is the one reaching out and making contact in those cases. Disney actually hosts a number of influencer events throughout the year on both coasts. I’m sure they look at it as a worthwhile investment in exchange for the publicity they get.
The issue I have with those YouTubers is they don't seem to have much respect for the people who paid to be on the cruise and maybe don't want to be recorded on their vacation and posted on YouTube. I watched one ship tour video this week and some poor lady gets out of the hot tub in her bathing suit, sees the YouTuber coming and recording, spins around and runs back into the hot tub. Bothers me that she was captured on video without her permission, and clearly she does not want to be recorded, so bothers me more that the vlogger didn't edit it out.
I speak from experience because I worked as a TV news photographer in 1980 and spent 2 weeks on a cruise, doing 5 half hour shows. I was one of 5 photographers from my show on board, and there was also a crew from CBC on board. Only one of our half hour shows was on what it was like to be on a cruise (the Love Boat was hot then). We did not shoot video where people other than our reporters could be recognized. We used the ocean and other generic backgrounds, and when shooting the Captain's Gala in the dining room, they put our group of 12 in a corner where our lights would not bother other guests and other guests faces would not be visible.
I just couldn't relax on my vacation if I was having to look out for people who were making their living making these videos.
Now there was a TV show being recorded on our Disney cruise. We got a flyer when we boarded warning us that if we did not want to be recorded to avoid the area they were recording in. But Disney did rope off the areas they were recording in, so it wasn't an issue. Now these YouTubers are wandering around with an iPhone and posting hour long videos of ship tours, passengers and all.

You recieved good answers. Is the person a celebrity? It isn't logical. If Disney is already paying full time award winning chefs why would they also pay for another chef to come on board? Besides from what I've seen about chefs in general, I'm not sure a lot of chefs egos would stand for an outside chef invading their turf.
Dito, put all these tubers on their own cruise. Last fall a couple totally took over a space where others wanted to get pics.
Sorry but your friends will probably have to pay for their cruise just like most of us. But let us know. A lot of us probably could offer a demonstration, class, or some service. Maybe others will want to try, if it works out for you.

Along with not being known for discounts, there are a slew of reasons this wouldn't work including insurance regulations and where would they do it? They already pay people to do this type of stuff on the ship, and they won't pay that person to sit on the sidelines while someone else does it and gets a discount for it. But as others have said, if you want to call, sit on hold, get transferred, sit on hold some more, then get given another number, to repeat the process to finally get a "no," have it. You could always try booking the cruise earlier instead of just watching the fares tick up and up.

I also want to agree with TVguy. One can argue (and I am sure they do) that they don't have an expectation of privacy on the public deck of the ship, but it is pretty rude and obnoxious. It's doubly so when it is obvious someone was hurrying to hide from the camera. It wouldn't be that hard to blur that person out of the shot.

Like in 3 months?

That’s not how things work on DCL- they don’t allow people to offer individual talents for reduced cruises or else you’d hear about everyone trying to “audition”

If DCL wants you for publicly they reach out..

The best you’d have for this summer is GT rates and even those are rare as they are filling the boats on their own

The issue I have with those YouTubers is they don't seem to have much respect for the people who paid to be on the cruise and maybe don't want to be recorded on their vacation and posted on YouTube. I watched one ship tour video this week and some poor lady gets out of the hot tub in her bathing suit, sees the YouTuber coming and recording, spins around and runs back into the hot tub. Bothers me that she was captured on video without her permission, and clearly she does not want to be recorded, so bothers me more that the vlogger didn't edit it out.
I speak from experience because I worked as a TV news photographer in 1980 and spent 2 weeks on a cruise, doing 5 half hour shows. I was one of 5 photographers from my show on board, and there was also a crew from CBC on board. Only one of our half hour shows was on what it was like to be on a cruise (the Love Boat was hot then). We did not shoot video where people other than our reporters could be recognized. We used the ocean and other generic backgrounds, and when shooting the Captain's Gala in the dining room, they put our group of 12 in a corner where our lights would not bother other guests and other guests faces would not be visible.
I just couldn't relax on my vacation if I was having to look out for people who were making their living making these videos.
Now there was a TV show being recorded on our Disney cruise. We got a flyer when we boarded warning us that if we did not want to be recorded to avoid the area they were recording in. But Disney did rope off the areas they were recording in, so it wasn't an issue. Now these YouTubers are wandering around with an iPhone and posting hour long videos of ship tours, passengers and all.
I had a similar experience at Oga's in Galaxy's Edge at WDW. Not getting out of my bathing suit, but unintentionally being part of a vlogger's live stream. I was at the bar, and a vlogger came up next to me and started live streaming about the drinks, experience, etc. It was a little odd, but I really didn't mind. Then he started asking me questions (clearly for his live stream). I kind of reluctantly played along. It wasn't so much that I didn't want to be on the feed, but I'm just not a big fan of small talk. I did find it odd that he didn't ask my permission first or tell me what he was doing. Not a huge deal, but I did find it odd that I was 'used' for part of their content without any acknowledgement of that.

Then I would think they could afford the cruise price.

The Food Network did this episode and I remember watching it for anyone that is interested. Its on You Tube. I don't know if the URL will work but here is the title and description.

Disney Dream Cruise with Food Network​

This one-hour special brings together some of Food Network's favorite hosts for a vacation like no other. The Kitchen's Jeff Mauro and Katie Lee, Chopped's Amanda Freitag, and Guy's Grocery Games' Melissa d'Arabian, along with their families and friends, set sail on The Disney Dream cruise ship for three days of sun, fun and food. Go behind the scenes as the hosts go where no cameras have gone before — the inner workings of the ship's galleys, the kitchens, where The Dream's talented chefs prepare food for thousands every day. And no cruise would be complete without surf, sand and, of course, incredible meals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter