• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does anyone have a rechargeable lawnmower?

RNMOM

DIS Veteran
Our mower is not working well and the yard looks bad. Both DH and DS just don't seem to care much but DH has been traveling a lot. I would love to see them get a rechargeable. I am tired of the noise and the pollution. Our neighbor's mower really smells awful and comes right into my family room. I just looked for all kinds of reviews but there aren't that many out there that will make my case for me.

Any help DISers?

Our mower is not working well and the yard looks bad. Both DH and DS just don't seem to care much but DH has been traveling a lot. I would love to see them get a rechargeable. I am tired of the noise and the pollution. Our neighbor's mower really smells awful and comes right into my family room. I just looked for all kinds of reviews but there aren't that many out there that will make my case for me.

Any help DISers?

We have one.

Do NOT buy one. Ours is recalled at least every 2 years. We bought it 8 years ago, we have received 5 mowers. Ours is a black decker which also makes craftsman.

Typically they mow the hole yard on one charge for a year. Year two we have to mow front one day and back the other just as we are ready to but a new brand it gets recalled.

My husband hates it but it is pretty much a joke at the point. If we buy new it will be gas powered.

I have had two from different houses. I loved it the first time and im trying to remember why I stopped using it. I think the motor and battery were fine but I think the casing broke...
anyway I just bought another this year and I do love it. I hate dealing with gas and oil or an extension cord. I also remember the battery not lasting as long as the first year but it depends on how much of an area you have to mow.
It is much quieter and I just leave it plugged in.

I think I have a black and decker.

I remember buying it based on a report in consumer reports. It wasn't a glowing review but they said if you had less than a certain size of lawn (an acre?) they said it would be good. My main reason was dealing with gas and oil and the smell and sound. I m happy with mine

See? Already two different opinions. :rotfl: I hope to have more opinions tomorrow. I appreciate both of you answering. Sorry you mower didn't work well, akcire.

I would be interested too. My DH and DS could care less about the yard and I too would like a lawn mower where I did not have to deal with gas etc. Anyone know a ballpark figure on price? I am thinking that this is getting close to the time in the NE where they will be marked down.

See? Already two different opinions. :rotfl: I hope to have more opinions tomorrow. I appreciate both of you answering. Sorry you mower didn't work well, akcire.

I mow with the gas mower. How is that? :wave2:

That being said, I do want rechargeable trimmer/edger. The gas powered one is so heavy for me. DH just can't do it right now. He had a heart attack & bypass surgery in Dec. and every time he uses it he is in pain.

My sister bought one. She had trouble within a few months and the battery wouldn't charge anymore (after smoking!). It was within warranty, but after MANY calls to the company, they have failed to fix it or send a replacement.

We used to use an electric mower. We had to drag around a cord behind us and make sure not to run over it. We got a gas mower when it died.

We have one neighbor that uses an electric mower in their yard and has for several years now.

My mother has one of the Black and Decker rechargeable ones and she loves it. I ordered it for her through Amazon and had free shipping so I didn't have to pay to have it delivered to her house or lug it home.

We have a Black and Decker. No problems that I know of. We don't have much grass to mow, but it is thick St. Augustine so figure that into your calculations. ;)

I have a battery powered lawn mower. Love it....have had it for about 2 years with no issues. :goodvibes

I really want one. My DH has a sent and a hernia so it would be better for me if I could have access to a mower and the gas one just is too hard for me to start. That being said my ultmate would be to just have a landscaper take care of it but of course my husband thinks that is not necessari ...sorry for typos I am having trouble seeing the computer screen through the grass!

I bought a Black & Decker rechargeable mower about 3 years ago. I still love it! My yard isn't huge - if I don't let the grass get too high it only takes about 30 minutes to mow. No problems with the mower running out of power before I'm done. Now, if I let the grass get too high it seems to take a lot more juice out of the mower. I've had to recharge the mower to finish the last 1/4 or so of the yard in that instance.

The one thing that I remember from the instruction manual and the one thing I've followed religiously from the beginning is that I make sure it's fully recharged right after I finish mowing and before putting it back in the shed. Make sure the battery is fully charged before storing it for the winter too.

This is the third summer I've used it and I've sharpened the blades and I've had to tape the rubber grip on the handles but I've had absolutely no other problems with it. I would definitely buy another when that time comes. :thumbsup2

We've been using a rechargable electric mower for the last 5 years and have never had a problem. It is an EarthWise mower from Sears.

A lot will depend on the area of lawn you have and how high the grass is. Ours is a typical suburban sized lot. Generally DH can mow the yard (weekly) in 30-45 min. on a single charge. But if the grass is too high or it is damp he sometimes will only get 3/4 done before it needs to be recharged. The good thing is that it recharges fast, and can usually get the remaining portion done after a couple of hours.

We always plug it in as soon as we're finished mowing and even plug it in every month or so to recharge during the winter so that the batter doesn't drain completely.

On a side note- he's always happy when I want to enlarge one of the garden beds or borders- more plantings mean less sod to mow.

I actually have an old-fashioned rotating blade push type mower.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

Me too. It is a higher-end one by Fiskars, not one of the cheapie <$100 models that you can find just about everywhere, and I love it. We only have 1/4 acre to cut and it does the job perfectly without gas or charging or worrying about breakdowns.

We have had a Ryobi one for a few years. The only issue we had was when the battery started leaking. :faint: The customer service was great, and they replaced it free of charge, though it did take a little while to get it. My DH likes it, and he's the one that uses it.

We used to use an electric mower. We had to drag around a cord behind us and make sure not to run over it. We got a gas mower when it died.

We have one neighbor that uses an electric mower in their yard and has for several years now.

We have a electric mower and I LOVE it! It's very quiet, like pushing around a box fan. And it cuts beautifully. Now, I prolly wouldn't want to cut an acre of grass with it, but then again I wouldn't want to cut that much with a gas mower either. :joker: The electric mower is very lightweight and easy to start--no pulling the rope, just flip the switch and "Whrrrrrrr..." I really don't find the cord to be a bother and I have never even come close to running over it.

If you're lawn isn't huge, I'd suggest an electric mower. :thumbsup2

I had one and did not like it. I could not make it through my yard before the battery ran down (and I have a small yard). Eventually, the battery stopped charging. The cost of a new battery was more than half the cost of the mower.

I switched to an electric mower with a cord. At first, it was a pain, but I soon got used to flipping the cord. I've had this mower for several years and really can't complain. It does a really nice job. I got it a Lowes for about $125. I would buy another.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter