Does anyone have a child using the Daytrana patch?

Quick question...
Ds is had some redness with the 1st Daytrana patch. It was gone by the next morning which was Sat and we don't medicate on weekends.

I got some adhesive remover wipes and used one. Then rinsed a little with a wet paper towel since that is a chemical too.

Is there something good to put on it after the patch is removed? topical Benadryl? hydrocortisone cream?
Dh put Aveeno hand moisturizer on before I got home from work but I'm thinking there is something else more appropriate.

Thanks!!:grouphug:

Our Dr. suggested baby oil to put moisture back into the skin.

Also, keep moving it around....not only from side to side but different places on the hip. The medicine does irritate and dry out the skin, so you want to keep moving it around so one spot does not get too irritated and become a problem.

The patch has been so wonderful for us - I'm getting such good reports from school, and it lasts through dinner. With this, and the behavior mods we have in place, I can finally not worry so much about the AD/HD, and enjoy my time with my DS.

It really shouldn't be that hard to get the backing off. Sometimes maybe you will have a small bit of adhesive not peel off but not often. A couple of years ago they had some bad batches and the adhesives were all bad and it was impossible to get the backs off and they send free vouchers etc (even recalled them so we had to go without for a couple of weeks until they got new ones out--recall was due to the problems getting backs off). If the product get hot, it will cause this problem. I have not really had any problems since the recall way back when. Still use them daily but DS is learning how to swallow pills so maybe soon we can change to something else. Maybe you should talk to your pharmacy and they can switch your unused ones then they can return them to the company. Or call the manufacturer and report it so they will know they have a problem with a batch.

Our Dr. suggested baby oil to put moisture back into the skin.

Also, keep moving it around....not only from side to side but different places on the hip. The medicine does irritate and dry out the skin, so you want to keep moving it around so one spot does not get too irritated and become a problem.

The patch has been so wonderful for us - I'm getting such good reports from school, and it lasts through dinner. With this, and the behavior mods we have in place, I can finally not worry so much about the AD/HD, and enjoy my time with my DS.
I am finding this too! It's great and worth even paying out of pocket for the patches. Thanks for the baby oil tip!

It really shouldn't be that hard to get the backing off. Sometimes maybe you will have a small bit of adhesive not peel off but not often. A couple of years ago they had some bad batches and the adhesives were all bad and it was impossible to get the backs off and they send free vouchers etc (even recalled them so we had to go without for a couple of weeks until they got new ones out--recall was due to the problems getting backs off). If the product get hot, it will cause this problem. I have not really had any problems since the recall way back when. Still use them daily but DS is learning how to swallow pills so maybe soon we can change to something else. Maybe you should talk to your pharmacy and they can switch your unused ones then they can return them to the company. Or call the manufacturer and report it so they will know they have a problem with a batch.

I have found that if I press down with my thumbnail on the backing, similar to the way you scratch off a lottery ticket, it seems that makes the adhesive stick to the patch more and less to the backing. I've been doing it at night before bed too. I'm not very functional at 5:30 am. Not peeling it all the way off but all the way up to about 1/8" left then put it back down and in the package. When I get up in the am, it's like peeling the backing off a bandaid, very easy and med still works great.

ruadisneyfan2, so how's it working so far? My DS has been on Daytrana for a few years now and it has been fabulous. I wanted to share a few of our experiences.

1. Since DS was young when we started, we were told to put it on his upper back rather than by his hips. We alternate sides and height. I put it on in the morning while he's still in bed so it also serves as a warning to him that it's almost time to get up.

2. DS has horribly sensitive skin. We always have the redness and irritation. We've used both hydrocortisone and any type of moisturizer. For us, any cream with either olive butter or shea butter work best. We use it before bed and by the next am, all is well.

3. You might not experience this since you were already using a stimulant but DS lost a lot of weight in his first year on Daytrana.

4. Summer is coming, so be prepared! If your DS likes to swim, invest now in some good waterproof tape. We have a pool and within ten minutes the patch comes off. Not a big deal if you're at home, but DS goes to a therapeutic rec camp in our county, so we need to secure that thing down!

If I can answer any questions, please let me know! I hope that this works out for you and that the insurance will pick up the cost. :goodvibes

ruadisneyfan2, so how's it working so far? My DS has been on Daytrana for a few years now and it has been fabulous. I wanted to share a few of our experiences.

1. Since DS was young when we started, we were told to put it on his upper back rather than by his hips. We alternate sides and height. I put it on in the morning while he's still in bed so it also serves as a warning to him that it's almost time to get up.

2. DS has horribly sensitive skin. We always have the redness and irritation. We've used both hydrocortisone and any type of moisturizer. For us, any cream with either olive butter or shea butter work best. We use it before bed and by the next am, all is well.

3. You might not experience this since you were already using a stimulant but DS lost a lot of weight in his first year on Daytrana.

4. Summer is coming, so be prepared! If your DS likes to swim, invest now in some good waterproof tape. We have a pool and within ten minutes the patch comes off. Not a big deal if you're at home, but DS goes to a therapeutic rec camp in our county, so we need to secure that thing down!

If I can answer any questions, please let me know! I hope that this works out for you and that the insurance will pick up the cost. :goodvibes

Since it's winter here and freezing, I never thought to ask about what to do when DS went swimming. Does waterproof tape work? Like waterproof medical tape, or what kind do you use? Thanks for that tip!

I hear ya! We still have snow on our front lawn. :confused3

I'll have to check but I know we went through several before we found one that didn't fall off. It was a thick almost cushioned tan waterproof medical tape. And you have to seal all the edges. We tried just a strip at the top and one at the bottom but water infiltrated the sides and the only thing holding the patch on was the tape. It broke the adhesive seal between the skin and the patch.

Does it matter if he's a little bit hairy? Not like wooly man hair but that baby peach fuzz.

It doesn't prevent the patch from sticking in the am?

I've noticed this already!! I think because the Metadate was wearing off by like 2:30 and he didn't take it until 7 or 7:15, he just wasn't medicated as many hours per day. Now I put the patch on at 5:45; he wakes up at 6:20 so it's just starting to work while he gets ready. He's not hungry for breakfast and he's down to 50 lbs. He'll be 10 in May and he's always been on the small & thin side (well except in utero when I fattened him up to 8 lbs, 4 oz. lol!) but now I can see his ribs really well and shoulder blades look like anorexic models. :eek: I try to keep pushing high calorie foods, whole milk, choc milk, ice cream, OJ.

We don't medicate in the summer. His biggest issue is doing "work" so as long as he's playing, he's fine. Some emotional issues but overall much easier to get along with in summer. He's always gone to camp FT all summer while we're at work but last year was 1st summer we hired 2 high school girls from their karate class to come to our house to babysit. They took turns different weeks and all loved it. I loved having a break from getting the up and out early; I could just get myself ready and leave. They loved being able to sleep in and not be applying sunblock at 6:30 am and being on the go all day in 90 deg heat.
We belong to our neighborhood swim club, close enough to ride bikes, but hopefully he won't need the patch there.

Ins. def will not pay for it. They say there's nothing wrong with his old med; it's a compliance problem. grrr...:mad:
We joined Walgreen's prescription program which brings the price down to $167 for 30 day supply. That should last longer than a month since we only use them on school days. That may change soon with Little League coming soon.
Still, I'm soooo happy with it. Even having to pay for it. It's so worth it. Our mornings are so much smoother. I'm not having to dress him myself or threaten to send him in pj's. Instead of spending his time stressing about taking his medicine, he's combing his hair and brushing his teeth without being told. :cloud9:

Best part is his teacher called me at home Fri night to say how wonderful he's been doing in school esp with his creative writing which has always been a huge challenge for him.
This patch is awesome!!!:woohoo:

Thanks!!:goodvibes
:grouphug:

My seven year old son is on it. So far it's been wonderful! We tried Adderall and even at the smallest dosage, he was zombie-like. We tried Strattera, but he threw it up (he can't swallow pills, either, and we tried to sprinkle it).

He's been on Daytrana for about a week now and he, we, and his teacher love it! He is still his happy, funny, perceptive self, but more focused and it really has helped his impulsivity, too.

The patch causes some irritation, but nothing major. He complains that it itches sometimes, too. He says he likes it way better than Adderall. Says he can't even really tell he's on it (and that was not the case with Adderall - he didn't like it at all).

I'm crossing my fingers that this is the one for him.

Oh, he's on the 10mg patch.

Sorry, it's been a rough week but here are some answers to your questions.

1. DS did complain about pulling the little hairs in between his shoulders in the beginning. We let him take it off so he can control how fast or slow he does it.

2. Nope. No issues in the am. I guess his skin is so dry that it absorbs it all by morning.

3. It won't be like that forever but if he's getting that lean they may want to put him on a supplement of some kind. DS is almost 11 and just went through a weight gain to the point that his pants are snug so I'm hoping that a growth spurt is around the corner.

That's fabulous that you're having such great results! :cool1:

Our 7 yr. old has been on the patch for a few months and has really benefited. He tends to crash late in the day if he stays up late, so we try to take it off around 4:30 for a 7:30 bedtime.

As far as difficulty with removing the backing, try putting the patch in the freezer for a minute; the backing comes right off. We ruined a bunch of patches before trying this trick.

Also, for help getting to sleep at night, a small dose of melatonin dissolved in applesauce seems to really calm him down.

We have also gone gluten-free, dairy-free and mostly sugar-free, which has resolved almost all of his allergy symptoms. The jury is still out on whether it is helping with the adhd though.

Keeps us on our knees!

im glad i found this post, my ds is 6 and has sensory processory disorder. We think he also has adhd so we started him on ritalin yesterday. Like a lot of kids he wont take pills or liquid meds. i found a pharmacy that still makes there own meds and was able to get a suppository for ritalin but this patch seems to be a perfect solution. I cant believe my dr or pharmacist didnt suggest it! thanks everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter