does anyone feel guilty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the Americans with Disabilities Act prohibits asking for proof of disability...unless you're TSA! :lmao: Been with folks who were asked for proof that they are diabetic before they will allow insulin thru...not needles, just insulin!!

I too have my story of deciding not to use a wheel chair. A few years ago I had major surgery where my abdomen was sliced pretty much from neck to hip about a month before a trip to WDW. Since I am a certified Disney nut...and a terrific mom and aunt :rotfl:...I couldn't deny my family a trip so we all went. We got a wheelchair, but it stayed in our villa. This was my decision and I wouldn't want to make it for anyone else. I chose to sit out of many rides and became the official hat/purse/drink watcher! :thumbsup2

Now, I agree there are many folks that this is the only way that they can go and make those special memories with their families...we all know there are others that abuse it and have no need for the GAC or try to get their entire group special treatment too.

So as others have said, I do not judge folks who use them unless it appears that they are abusing the privilege by feeling the GAC entitles a large group the same consideration as they have been blessed with!

Now flame on folks!!

We were in line for a bus back to our resort after MK closed. The bus lines were huge, naturally. It is no exaggeration to say that we waited over an hour to get on our bus. This was during one of our October trips, so the parks didn't seem crowded....til we waited for our bus :goodvibes

Anyway, we were "first" in line for the next bus. Both of my kids asleep on us....we are ready for that bus. A guest in an ECV approached the bus as it arrived, along with several of their family members. As the bus driver was helping the guest get on the bus, ANOTHER guest in an ECV and several of THEIR family members approached the bus and wouldn't you know it? More than half the bus was occupied.

People in our line were fuming and openly making comments to the bus driver and to the security that were assisting with the masses. Even though we knew we would be getting on that bus, my dad did make a comment to one of the security/transportation CMs who basically just said that there was no way that Disney could craft some kind of checklist for who has to wait in line for a bus and who can just get on a bus with no wait time. He told us that if there is a guest in an ECV, they get on the bus first. No questions.

We're no saints; we were tired and we were a bit ill about those families walking up to the front of the bus, but we just tried to take it as those families probably were able to accomplish a whole lot less than we were able to at the parks. I have to assume that the folks in the ECVs are there for legitimate health reasons; that said, I would rather wait for the next bus, or next ride than trade places with a family that is experiencing health issues.

I only feel guilty when I'm acting like a grump who can't have some sympathy for others.

I believe the Americans with Disabilities Act prohibits asking for proof of disability...!

Yup your right it would be illegal.

Disney falls under Title III of the ADA, and the prohibits the public area to discriminate in regards to equal enjoyment of Disney.

The ADA also uses 3 different definitions of disability
The term "disability" means, with respect to an individual

(A) a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities of such individual;
(B) a record of such an impairment; or
(C) being regarded as having such an impairment

Yup your right it would be illegal.

Disney falls under Title III of the ADA, and the prohibits the public area to discriminate in regards to equal enjoyment of Disney.

The ADA also uses 3 different definitions of disability

It would seem that Disney is in violation; they are depriving these people from enjoying the pleasures of waiting in line, where else can you get to talk to such a wide range of people other than waiting in line at DW :)

I call BULL to the entire OP.

1. Maximim #6 of people per GAC and it is enforced.

2. IASW Wheelchair line is separate from the regular line. The wait for the Handicapped accessible boat is sometimes longer than the regular line.

3. The HM entrance for People in Wheelchairs is also seperate. Wheelchairs enter near the exit. The conveyor is slowed or stopped so the disabled party can safely transfer to the Doombuggy.

I adopt a "but for the grace of God go I" attitude with these types of situations. I'm glad I don't need one and I am grateful I have two healthy children. Some disabilities are hidden and who am I to judge?
I try to adopt this attitude but sometimes it's so hard. Example 1:While waiting for the safari, we over heard a woman talking to some friends about how her family would rent a wheelchair and her and her brother would take turns riding in it, they'd walk right on the rides, and it was wonderful.:headache:
Only occasionally does the whole 18 people per group bug me because some family have many people and they would like to ride together.

As someone that has suffered excrutiating pain from disability for the last 28 years or so, I will be using a wheelchair to cope with the distances between all the rides, falling back on my crutches to board the rides and even for some queues, if my arms feel up to it. Reading many on the threads on this site I'm hoping to be able to use a wheelchair to the ride. I love the fact disney accomodates so many abilities (or lack of!). I'm petrified about how I will cope in a wheelchair and others attitudes to me but I can't see an alternative other than me staying at home.
There is always someone that tries to abuse the system but the majority need alternate options. It is only too easy to judge at a glance without knowing the full story.
I just wish to be able to walk without pain. I would give so much for something many take for granted.
For the genuine people that need the facilities the Disney provides, please give us the benefit of the doubt. I, for one, am not trying to jump any queue, I just want my family to experience Disney with me,(we are a small group, my husband and boys). I don't want to hold them back any more than living with a disabled mum does on a daily basis.
My husband is still recovering from a recent broken ankle so 'blind leading the blind' is a saying we are getting only to used to. It's a holiday of a lietime for us.... will we get grief for our unfortunate medical history?

My husband is still recovering from a recent broken ankle so 'blind leading the blind' is a saying we are getting only to used to. It's a holiday of a lietime for us.... will we get grief for our unfortunate medical history?

I don't think the majority of people have issues with those who use GAC but those who misuse it. I have nothing but sympathy for someone in a wheelchair or with a child who might have a special personality. But, I do see people abuse the system and totally create a bad stereotype for others who depend on the grace of the GAC

My grandfather used to have us wheel him to the HC entrance and then wait in the standby line. When we got to the front THEN we could get on. For rides we needed to use a GAC we would ride ONCE every 5 hours so as not to get privilege of line hopping over and over (this was awhile ago when they tended to just shuttle wheelchairs to the front)

I have pushed several different people around Disney (man, AK is huge and hilly!) I know there is a true need for GAC... but I also know too many people misuse and abuse it

(cut for length)
Don't throw your 90 year old grandma in a wheelchair and tote her around for the disability pass that your whole family uses for themselves like a FP.

:lmao:

A little OT but I was in BG tampa once and was in line one of the big coasters, I want to say it was sheikra...and up the disability entrance I see a large party with grandma in a wheelchair. She looked half asleep and at the least 85. I was like no way she is going to ride.(just thought in my head, I didn't say anything) Of course they go ahead of the rest of us. I'll be damned if she didn't get on that ride! She had to be carried on by a member of her party but she rode it! I was you go grandma :rotfl:

We were in line for a bus back to our resort after MK closed. The bus lines were huge, naturally. It is no exaggeration to say that we waited over an hour to get on our bus. This was during one of our October trips, so the parks didn't seem crowded....til we waited for our bus :goodvibes

Anyway, we were "first" in line for the next bus. Both of my kids asleep on us....we are ready for that bus. A guest in an ECV approached the bus as it arrived, along with several of their family members. As the bus driver was helping the guest get on the bus, ANOTHER guest in an ECV and several of THEIR family members approached the bus and wouldn't you know it? More than half the bus was occupied.

People in our line were fuming and openly making comments to the bus driver and to the security that were assisting with the masses. Even though we knew we would be getting on that bus, my dad did make a comment to one of the security/transportation CMs who basically just said that there was no way that Disney could craft some kind of checklist for who has to wait in line for a bus and who can just get on a bus with no wait time. He told us that if there is a guest in an ECV, they get on the bus first. No questions.

We're no saints; we were tired and we were a bit ill about those families walking up to the front of the bus, but we just tried to take it as those families probably were able to accomplish a whole lot less than we were able to at the parks. I have to assume that the folks in the ECVs are there for legitimate health reasons; that said, I would rather wait for the next bus, or next ride than trade places with a family that is experiencing health issues.

I only feel guilty when I'm acting like a grump who can't have some sympathy for others.

I think this should be limited to the "6" person rule too - how do they have 15 to 20 people with them at the end of day?? really it should be one other adult & any kids - if it is Grandparents in the EVC then just an extra adult (my thinking here is if the EVC breaks down)

the rest of the group should wait in line - there is really no reason for several adults to get on the bus with the evc - they can wait

We get the GAC for in the parks - it does nothing for the bus wait -- We did have a driver tell us to board once (we would have been on the bus anyways) when they were loading an evc everyone in line in front of us said to "go:, son was in having a major melt down but we knew once we got on the bus it would be fine which as soon as he got on he calmed down, but it was the group who didn't wait that set him off & of course they were blocking everyone else getting on - we took the back corner Dh stood up where there was 5 seats across, we got 2 people to sit on the over side of the bus but everyone wanted to give my son his space at this time (a special ed teacher with baby got the seat in front of him & was prepare to have her hair pulled - was happy to see him calm down so much - she was first in line & knew what was happening - I kinda wonder if she didn't suggest it to bus driver to send us on)

Up to 6 people are allowed with the person using a GAC. the CM's should enforce this rule and then we would't have these kinds of threads. They used to always ask to see my son's GAC on every ride we went on. Now, they just wave us through without looking except for the Tomorrowland Speedway and BTMRR. Why make rules if you don't enforce them?

saw a family of 10 on small world once with one family member that had a GAC. Another time on TSM was a man... with 9 kids and a GAC. One of the kids had serious, obvious disabilities... but point is, they let party of 10 go through. Last trip.. ran into another large party of 11 all with one GAC for that party.
Yep, 6 is the maximum.
We always get the GAC for my son. Usually we're a family of 4... so no problem.
Last trip we had another family of 4 with us. Did we try for all 8 of us to go on with my son's GAC? Nope. We used the GAC... and got fastpasses for their family.
Very thankful for the GAC - and it has its purpose and there are people that truly need it.
As for people getting one that don't need it? Not sure. seems there are some that do... I guess I give people more credit and am nieve assuming people are all honest about needing one. My guess is 10% of people with a GAC get it to abuse the system and knowniing they don't need one.

Thank you for being rational. I tell people all the time that they can take my dad's first loading spot on the bus... But they have to take the debilitating, aggressive, difficult to treat stage 4 throat and spine cancer that comes with it

If CMs are letting huge parties on either rides or buses, those CMs are in violation of Disney policy. I'm not going to feel guilty for that -- let Disney enforce its own policies. But I am frankly suspicious -- I keep hearing about the huge groups with one ECV, but I have never seen one (and it seems that these groups keep getting bigger and bigger -- it used to be 8 or 10, now it's 18 or 20 people getting on with one ECV. REALLY?) I have seen total strangers try to load on as if they were with me (I am usually solo), but they get called on it by me.

Sometimes an ECV gets you on faster, sometimes we have to wait longer. Especially with buses. A bus can hold around 50 walking/standing people, but only 3 ECVs. I have more than once missed a half empty bus because there was no room for my scooter. More worrysome is Disney recently implementing a policy that would make ECV users wait in line with everyone else, but when they get to the head of the line, they then have to wait for the next bus no matter how many people behind them get on, or even have to wait for an addition 2 or 3 busses if they are stacked.

Most of all, I wish all these people who claim that their only problem is all of the people abusing the system would use their magical powers to discern who is and is not handicapped for the betterment of society, rather than just to complain on DIS. After all, my doctor had to use an MRI and a number of tests to find my problem, but it's amazing how many people think they can look at me and instantly know my health status.

No I don't feel one bit guilty about using an ECV. Even though I can get out to board the ride, without it I wouldn't be able to go to Disney at all. And that's not something I intend to give up just because you have got your knickers in a knot.

Ever since I was in this situation myself one year I try to mind my own business because you never know why someone needs assistance. On Labor Day one year I went out on a friend's boat and sprained my ankle, grade 2 with torn ligaments. I was on crutches all Sept, but by Oct. I was able to start walking on it for short periods of time. Me and DH went to Busch Gardens and I was able to wait in a wheelchair and then get on rides. I wasn't severe enough not to walk a few steps to get on a ride, but my MD told me not to walk all over BG. So, you never know!

And yes, people talked about me and rolled their eyes and even pointed!

While I look and feel pretty normal, I am being treated for an advanced cancer. I never have to walk as much as I will at WDW and if I need one, I will be getting that wheelchair and getting that pass. If I don't, I won't.

Our son uses a w/c always, but we don't usually get a GAC, even though he can only do a few hours at the parks every day. Most CMs just ask us what we need when we get to the ride. And we have traveled with 19 family members and had people rotate who gets to ride with him (6 tops). The only time I get really upset is when we go to see a show at WDW (his favorite thing) and there are able bodied people taking up the w/c spots. By "able bodied", I mean people who can transfer to a theatre seat, but would rather drive their ECV to the front row and take the spot. There are only a few of those seats in front (a lot in the back, but he has vision issues too), and when I see those people I get cranky. So I get it, those of you who get cranky. But maybe we should all get more zen, and trust karma a little more. Peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter