Does Anyone Else Get Panicky?

That's one of the things freaking me out right now - we're about to get a huge storm front coming through the country tomorrow. And I don't think it will directly affect San Diego or Arizona - but will it affect our flight?

I don't have a back up plan, I don't know what to do for a back up plan.
Bad weather could affect your flight even if your weather is good. If there’s fog or snow in Denver and the plane you’re supposed to get on is coming from Denver, well your plane could be late arriving or get cancelled. I dont think it’s overly anxious to have a Plan B.
Honestly, winter weather has affected us so many times, we have given up travel during winter. Late fall is busy for holiday prepping and dealing with all the leaf clean up so now we travel through October, then wait until mid March when we can. Our WBPC cruise sailed March 4 and I took off work the whole week just in case we had to change flights or drive.
We even had a Plan B of where to quarantine in case we tested positive and couldn't board the ship. I didn't actually book any hotel but I did have a rental car reserved which I quickly cancelled once we tested negative.

Keep checking your flight status and dont wait for the airline to reach out to you if your flight does get cancelled. The early bird gets the worm. Look at alternative flights or alternative airports. If you can’t get a flight out of PHX then LAS isn’t so far away. Are you sailing from San Diego? Consider driving if you can’t get a flight. If you’ll risk driving in bad weather, consider leaving before the storm hits.
Keep an eye on the storm. It can change slightly off the predicted track and make your travel worse or easier. Don’t obsess, just stay informed.

Last edited:
That's one of the things freaking me out right now - we're about to get a huge storm front coming through the country tomorrow. And I don't think it will directly affect San Diego or Arizona - but will it affect our flight?

Our backup plan has been to drive. It's 13.5 hours, but if our flight the day before is cancelled or delayed too far, we can drive through the night and still make it. It wouldn't be great or unstressful, but that's our backup plan. It's really all we've got.

San Diego, Arizona and Florida aren't places that are impacted by weather this time of year. You can look at where your planes are coming from if that makes you feel better. Why are you so stressed? You said your leaving not leaving for 10 days. Do you not travel much?

Last edited:
The problem is our car has completely died on us - we were going to worry about getting a new one when we get back. She works from home so we don't really have to go anywhere lyft wont take us.... wonder if we could hire a lyft all the way to San Diego?

Our backup plan has been to drive. It's 13.5 hours, but if our flight the day before is cancelled or delayed too far, we can drive through the night and still make it. It wouldn't be great or unstressful, but that's our backup plan. It's really all we've got.

The problem is our car has completely died on us - we were going to worry about getting a new one when we get back. She works from home so we don't really have to go anywhere lyft wont take us.... wonder if we could hire a lyft all the way to San Diego?
I don't know how far you live from San Diego but if it's more than a 30 min drive, I would rent a car and take Lyft/Uber to the rental car office.

Goodness! I was a mess for our first cruise back after the pandemic this past September. Between the airlines, the hurricane season weather, leaving my elderly mother and the pre-cruise covid test (I test myself twice the morning of the actually proctored test- I was such a mess), I never thought we would make it. But we did. We did it. And it was just as amazing as before. But honestly, the way things are today, you don't dare enjoy the journey to stepping foot on deck. Come up with a few back up plans, limit your media watching, and try and enjoy the journey (unlike me-LOL). I hope all the best for you and you have an amazing trip!

Rental car? Perhaps make a reservation that you can cancel so that you have the backup in place?

I am not aware of any panic building, but I am aware that a huge load has been lifted off my shoulders when I get to my stateroom

Bad weather could affect your flight even if your weather is good. If there’s fog or snow in Denver and the plane you’re supposed to get on is coming from Denver, well your plane could be late arriving or get cancelled.
100% this! So many times I've heard people say "my flight was delayed/canceled due to weather, but the sun was shining in my departure/arrival city!" Well yes, but planes come from all across the US (and beyond). Plans may have to fly through weather to get to you, or there may be weather in the city your plane is coming from. Or, weather in a larger hub city (like Chicago, for example), could cause a ripple affect that can affect hundreds of flights, even after the weather has passed. In the summer, it could be thunderstorms pretty much anywhere in the US. In the winter, it could be snowstorms. Weather can affect flights in other cities (where the weather is just fine).

I think you guys will do fine! You have been planning this trip for a very long time and deserve it. I wish you guys a great time and it would be great to get a trip report to see how things went. Have fun!

The problem is by the time it's time for my cruise the car rentals will be closed, so no canceling.

Most car rental places don't require any deposit up front, so if you don't pick up the car, you're not charged. Obviously it's preferred to cancel if you know you're not going to use the car, but you shouldn't be 'out' anything if you just don't show up. Also, many of the places have an app, so you can cancel from there regardless of time of day. Though, I'm guessing you'll know at least a bit in advance if you will be able to get to the port by airplane, the rental companies should be open during the day so you can cancel during business hours?

Less panicked with testing gone. It was hard to get excited about vacation when you didn’t know it was a go. Sure things can still happen but it feels more in my control.

I know you’ve been planning this trip for a long time and sometimes it’s hard to go from the constant planning of the trip to relaxing but you are at the stage to start enjoy the relaxing. Whatever happens is now out of your control.

If you want to put your mind at ease regarding flights you can take a look to see how often your flight is cancelled or delayed. I would think there are several flights from Arizona to San Diego so if something DID happen to your flight - re booking should be easy. If you are getting the airport 6 hours early you can even check to see if there is an earlier flight you can get on.

How many days are you flying in beforehand?

It’s up to you if you want a back up plan of renting a car if some freak weather incident occurred to cancel all flights but I think realistically you have nothing to worry about in regards to your flight.

As for enjoying your cruise, you are on vacation! Enjoy it! I find focusing on the now and not worrying about what may or may not happen more enjoyable. The only thing guaranteed is this moment. It may not go as you planned but you are enjoying time with your wife away from the real world for 10 days. That right there is all you need. Everything else is just a bonus.

I always panic. Its built into me as a boy scout, always be prepared.

The kids always get sick (our 16 had RSV last week but is better), will work explode on us (the new boss is saying that there has to be coverage!)?

This time around there is an expected 12" of snow coming to the northeast on the day we drive from PA to Fla next week. So panic is starting to set in.

Absolutely lot's of pics and vids!
Already have multi tiered packing lists.

My wife helped me understand what's going on with me.
I always have a meltdown before Christmas, one right before a big trip, and one right before something huge and new that I can't really control. So of course I'm in a state of Aspie overwhelm almost non stop. All 3 of those things are wrapped up together in regards to this trip.

So intellectually - I know that I should try to make the most of it no matter what comes of it - but with so many aspie triggers being smacked at once - of course I'm freaking out.

I am hoping it’s a great vacation for you.

Car reservation and to-do lists.

And we will need a report of how it went. 😏 (This is a request, not an assignment.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter