• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does anyone else care?

These are the loungers in front of Ama Ama, not the casabellas. I’ve found these loungers can go fast very early in the morning.
There are three patios available for rent besides the cabanas. One is the executive lanai which is more centrally located and has a few more amenities. The others are called Ama Ama Upper Verandah and lower verandah Casabellas. Well actually they used to be. it seems maybe they dropped the casabella part from the name. But that’s what they were officially called. I agree It’s confusing to have everything called the same thing! My reservations for late July say
Service
9:00 am, Premium Casabella

and
Service
9:00 am, Executive Lanai Casabella

There are three patios available for rent besides the cabanas. One is the executive lanai which is more centrally located and has a few more amenities. The others are called Ama Ama Upper Verandah and lower verandah Casabellas.

Correct. Paul may have been confused since there are free-for-all loungers in the same area. AFAICT the Ama Ama casabellas are actually rented out by “deck”, ie, you rent an upper or lower deck which contains 2 or more of the “casabella”-type loungers (2 connected wood loungers with pillow tops and a pull-over sun shade). Whether you use all the loungers or just one, you’re renting that entire deck.

They’re kind of far away from the action but they’re very close to the beach which is great if you’re not a people person!

You can get on the list for full-on cabana reservations as well and they will call you the night before if there’s a cancellation.

3rd time here - once pre-Covid, once during Covid, and now.

Feels to me like the magic is fading. Literally everything needs reservations now save for sushi (which takes an hour for an order). Our poolside lunch order took 50 minutes. Aunties is no longer drop off at a whim. Rented snorkel gear was broken. Soda machines ran out of ice and sputtered raw soda mix. Have to grab a chair by 6:30 am or they’re all taken. And this time of year is expensive AF.

This is all pretty minor stuff all things considered, but it is definitely not the premium experience I’ve become accustomed to at pre-Covid aulani or the ritz or other premium resorts I’ve been to. Aulani is going downmarket service-wise, but not price-wise.

My next stay will be at 4 seasons Maui.
We just got back (fourth trip) and I agree with some of your comments. But I'm now wondering if there are seasons I need to skip out on. 😬

I'm a teacher and taught at a school with a year round schedule which meant I had non-traditional months off. We therefore went in February, October or the days leading up to Thanksgiving, and the crowds were therefore light. Navigating the grounds, grabbing a chair, and lines for the lazy river were EASY! This trip in early July felt like a lot of work. I think I will go back when most kids are in school, since now my "little ones" are now 18 and 20. As some have mentioned, the adult pool is now a family pool so there weren't many areas to just get away and have quiet time.

Another tip, is to camp out at a chair where the orange umbrellas are. They are in front of AmaAma and face the beach. I think a lot of people think that they are in a reserved area because the umbrella color is different. We always found room there, it was very quiet and it was lovely to look at the ocean. Behind AmaAma, there's a "secret" soda fountain and a bathroom nearby. It was a perfect spot....and I should probably keep that information to myself. 🤣

Since we had a villa, we were fortunate to be able to make all of our meals. I was so lucky that we planned for that! As I walked around, I saw people turned away at some restaurants or I was blown away by the high food prices(which I expect in Hawaii and at a resort). We used the grills every day and made some delicious meals, such as chicken kabobs and ribs, and it was all purchased at Foodland. The only thing we bought was a few beers and Dole Whip.

Since we had a villa, we were fortunate to be able to make all of our meals. I was so lucky that we planned for that! As I walked around, I saw people turned away at some restaurants or I was blown away by the high food prices(which I expect in Hawaii and at a resort). We used the grills every day and made some delicious meals, such as chicken kabobs and ribs, and it was all purchased at Foodland. The only thing we bought was a few beers and Dole Whip.
We probably saw you out at the grills. Got Costco hot dogs and we got 3 meals out of those. We also mostly cooked in our unit. I think that all we spent on at Aulani was 1 shirt, 2 metal refillable mugs, and the popcorn bucket.

I did load up again on Royal Kona Vanilla Macadamia Nut coffee at Costco to bring home, so I'll have some "Aloha" spirit for a few months :)

There are three patios available for rent besides the cabanas. One is the executive lanai which is more centrally located and has a few more amenities. The others are called Ama Ama Upper Verandah and lower verandah Casabellas. Well actually they used to be. it seems maybe they dropped the casabella part from the name. But that’s what they were officially called. I agree It’s confusing to have everything called the same thing! My reservations for late July say
Service
9:00 am, Premium Casabella

and
Service
9:00 am, Executive Lanai Casabella
These are “Ama Ama upper veranda” casabellas.
Correct. Paul may have been confused since there are free-for-all loungers in the same area. AFAICT the Ama Ama casabellas are actually rented out by “deck”, ie, you rent an upper or lower deck which contains 2 or more of the “casabella”-type loungers (2 connected wood loungers with pillow tops and a pull-over sun shade). Whether you use all the loungers or just one, you’re renting that entire deck.

They’re kind of far away from the action but they’re very close to the beach which is great if you’re not a people person!

You can get on the list for full-on cabana reservations as well and they will call you the night before if there’s a cancellation.
My bad! Had no idea those deck areas were also called casabellas, like the two person loungers. It is confusing!

Oh, for another needless middle finger to the guests, Ulu cafe only has vanilla soft serve, have to go to the beach for dole whip. Just why?!

It’s 9:41am and the soda machine near ama ama doesn’t have any carbonation. Disney quality.

Oh the horror!! I’m sure they sat down and said how can we f@&$ with the guests? I know make ulu only serve vanilla!!
Why are you so weirdly aggressive and defensive about someone else’s genuine complaints about things that should never be encountered in a resort that charges such ridiculous sums of money? It’s like telling someone who buys a $60 steak and gets served a McDonald’s quality burger “omg it’s just meat at least you got to eat! Be satisfied with that!” It’s rude and condescending, this is a Disney forum where people go to discuss and air opinions. I’m sorry but a place that charges what Aulani does should definitely not have broken soda machines, run down furniture and all the rest. Anyone can see that’s absurd

Why are you so weirdly aggressive and defensive about someone else’s genuine complaints about things that should never be encountered in a resort that charges such ridiculous sums of money? It’s like telling someone who buys a $60 steak and gets served a McDonald’s quality burger “omg it’s just meat at least you got to eat! Be satisfied with that!” It’s rude and condescending, this is a Disney forum where people go to discuss and air opinions. I’m sorry but a place that charges what Aulani does should definitely not have broken soda machines, run down furniture and all the rest. Anyone can see that’s absurd
I actually don’t think any of this small stuff warrants the label of being absurd. And I thought the comment was relatively light hearted. I certainly think there’s a place for a little humor on these boards, no?

We just have different standards. I personally know that $1.5k/night goes a lot further basically anywhere else, for the things I care about. If it’s worth it to you I’m not trying to convince you otherwise.
Understood, but when my wife and I walk over to the pricey Four Seasons for the occasional meal, the place always feels outdated, boring, and unimaginative. Who knows, maybe they have more of a soft serve variety, and the service is usually first rate, but I’m always glad I’m staying at Aulani. I know it’s not perfect. I just appreciate everything the resort offers and tend to forgive the small annoyances, though of course they’re annoying!

Were the soda machine and soft serve issues corrected, or did they persist for the entire day?

I actually don’t think any of this small stuff warrants the label of being absurd. And I thought the comment was relatively light hearted. I certainly think there’s a place for a little humor on these boards, no?
Oh no! Another small water feature that wasn’t working? I’ll make sure I let it upset my visit in a few months, it really ruins the experience of the pools, slides, lazy river, cabanas, lagoon, snorkeling pool, food and drinks, weather, sunsets, and all the resort activities when a small water feature isn’t working when I’m there, they just make the whole 3000 mile trip! . Where can I sell my 600 points, it’s just going to hell…..I’ll make sure the next trip to take my clipboard and spend the whole day walking around looking for things that are broken or not working to report back!

Oh the horror!! I’m sure they sat down and said how can we f@&$ with the guests? I know make ulu only serve vanilla!!
These posts aren’t funny they’re sarcastic condescending and rude.

We just got back (fourth trip) and I agree with some of your comments. But I'm now wondering if there are seasons I need to skip out on. 😬

I'm a teacher and taught at a school with a year round schedule which meant I had non-traditional months off. We therefore went in February, October or the days leading up to Thanksgiving, and the crowds were therefore light. Navigating the grounds, grabbing a chair, and lines for the lazy river were EASY! This trip in early July felt like a lot of work. I think I will go back when most kids are in school, since now my "little ones" are now 18 and 20. As some have mentioned, the adult pool is now a family pool so there weren't many areas to just get away and have quiet time.
When I was there in October last year, it was very crowded everywhere. Every chair was taken all day, every pool had kids in it, and the hot tubs were way too crowded. So, I don't know if October is still a quieter time. :(

There's so much good food in town, too. The food prices at Aulani are insane.

Oh, for another needless middle finger to the guests, Ulu cafe only has vanilla soft serve, have to go to the beach for dole whip. Just why?!

It’s 9:41am and the soda machine near ama ama doesn’t have any carbonation. Disney quality.
When I was there for 8 nights last October, I wasn't ever able to get a soda with the right amount of carbon in it. Every soda was entirely flat or nearly so. I was quite disappointed. What's the point of the reusable cup if the drinks are gross?

This! I was attempting some light hearted sarcasm, maybe I need to use more emoji's.

However, the nit picking amazes me. It's a beautiful resort, used by a lot of people, and is fairly popular.. Stuff is going to break. Does it get fixed, or is it broken for weeks? Been there a number of times and have yet to encounter the number of *minor* issues people complain about. We encountered a broken soda machine, later it was fixed.We just encountered a broken machine at the new DVC lounge at Disneyland, next day it was fixed. I didn't go on social media and complain the resort was going to S**T. Stuff breaks.
You go to a popular resort, and then complain its too crowded? Ahhh...ok. Or go to a family friendly resort and complain there are too many kids? Ahhh....ok....It's like going to Chucky Cheese and complaining there are too many kids.

If you feel your money isn't well spent there, or it’s not a fit for you, then why are you there? Like Paul mentioned, we've also been to both resorts on either side. Outdated, Stuffy, boring...(although good food at Four Seasons), but Aulani wins for us. Minor annoyances are annoying yes, but they don't overshadow the whole experience. We started at Aulani with 250 points, and then added another 250, and then another 175 after repeated visits. We go every winter for 8-10 days with extended family and visit family on the island as well.

Last edited:
Understood, but when my wife and I walk over to the pricey Four Seasons for the occasional meal, the place always feels outdated, boring, and unimaginative. Who knows, maybe they have more of a soft serve variety, and the service is usually first rate, but I’m always glad I’m staying at Aulani

meanwhile the 4S is the top rated hotel on TripAdvisor, Aulani scrapes in as 5 of 7 hotels in its region, and recent reviews are an absolute horror show

AUL is a shadow of its former self

We have gone to aulani 8 times only stopping for the Covid years. We were there last sept and are going back in October before we get on the transpacific cruise. Back then we didn’t notice the lights out. All the water features were working. But as a dvc member who loves it, there are several disappointments. The water and lei greeting should be Back. The cost for this has to be minimal and the customer satisfaction high. Also they used to be waiting with your Keys. Now you have to get in line. Another lost opportunity to increase customer satisfaction.
The buffet breakfast at makahiki should resume. The 3 course breakfast is way too much food and not that good, for us.
We are looking forward to Ama Ama on our return which was not yet open last year. But I understand it’s now a prefix and service has bern underwhelming. Again missed opportunities to make it as memorable and 4 star as the Four Seasons restaurants.

Aulani took way longer than necessary to reopen the kids program. The Four Seasons had theirs restarted a year before aulani did.

As dvc members, we don’t get our rooms cleaned every day, never have. But to not do daily service for paid rooms is just ridiculous. Aulani seems to blame everything on Covid but once again the four seasons continues to outclass it. If the cost of aulani was considerably lower, thst might be ok. But it’s not.

And another irritation is the ‘party’ they gave for dvc members. In the past, they had drinks, a continental breakfast and cool takeaways like hats. Now…there’s not much at all. I would never bother to go just to hear how much the pricing has increased. And instead of pins or hats they used to give to dvc members at the sales booths scattered around the resort…you get a sticker.

So many lost opportunities. We still love it there but it’s too bad there isn’t someone with marketing expertise that can explain to management what these silly cost cutting measures have accomplished.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter