• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does anyone else care?

We just completed an Aulani stay last week and we were not impressed. We've been DVC members for over a decade (BLT) and have fairly reasonable expectations. Most of the issues with our stay weren't "huge", but they were annoying.
Multiple times we entered an elevator and couldn't get a certain floor's buttons to work. Not the end of the world but certainly the level of maintenance I expect based on how much we're paying.

I found many staff members to be less informed than I would have expected. More than once we asked cast members about character schedules, only to be told "check the app!". It took a few days until we found out the app isn't always accurate, and that there's also a phone number you can call to hear the character lineup for the day.

We were misquoted operating hours on a handful of occasions.

We were sent to the wrong room, then were told to hand in our key cards after our first stay in a split stay, only to be asked why we didn't keep our key cards when we checked in again.

We encountered 2 pool chairs where the fabric had been completely ripped off at the bottom.

None of these were deal breakers and there were plenty of positives. We enjoyed Olelo room very much, as well as the character experience at Makahiki. The poke bowls at Ulu were oustanding. It all worked out just fine.

However, it was definitely not an over-the-top experience. I'd be hard-pressed to spend over $1,000 a night (or that equivalent in DVC points) unless I heard reports that the service levels had improved.
Couldn’t agree more! None of these are deal breakers. They’re nitpicks. Sorry that you were occasionally misinformed. Sorry about the mix up with the key cards. Re the elevators, there’s a panel on either side of the door in each elevator. When we were there last week, we noticed that occasionally our floor button didn’t work as well, so we‘d just hit the button on the other panel three feet away. Sorry that the fabric was damaged on 2 of the approx. 500 lounge chairs.

To me, no vacation experience is perfect and this is the kind of small stuff you just have to roll with. But, as they say, you can always “vote with your pocketbook” and never go to Aulani again!

We just completed an Aulani stay last week and we were not impressed. We've been DVC members for over a decade (BLT) and have fairly reasonable expectations. Most of the issues with our stay weren't "huge", but they were annoying.
Multiple times we entered an elevator and couldn't get a certain floor's buttons to work. Not the end of the world but certainly the level of maintenance I expect based on how much we're paying.

I found many staff members to be less informed than I would have expected. More than once we asked cast members about character schedules, only to be told "check the app!". It took a few days until we found out the app isn't always accurate, and that there's also a phone number you can call to hear the character lineup for the day.

We were misquoted operating hours on a handful of occasions.

We were sent to the wrong room, then were told to hand in our key cards after our first stay in a split stay, only to be asked why we didn't keep our key cards when we checked in again.

We encountered 2 pool chairs where the fabric had been completely ripped off at the bottom.

None of these were deal breakers and there were plenty of positives. We enjoyed Olelo room very much, as well as the character experience at Makahiki. The poke bowls at Ulu were oustanding. It all worked out just fine.

However, it was definitely not an over-the-top experience. I'd be hard-pressed to spend over $1,000 a night (or that equivalent in DVC points) unless I heard reports that the service levels had improved.
We also just got back from Aulani. We were there June 17-28. We found none of these things. Perhaps because we have been several times before we weren't dependent on info from the CM's.

However, I do have some complaints.
The former adult pool is still open to everybody. We were able to see into it and the rest of the pool areas from our balcony and it's obvious that there's plenty of room for families.

The check in process is horrible. We were a group of six, using three different consecutive linked reservations. We wanted to use 4 different cards (different families). It took nearly an hour to get it all ironed out at checkin. And even then there were difficulties with some of the keys or charging at various points during our stay. It wasn't the CM that was the difficulty as they were very knowledgeable. It's just that their system can't easily handle complex reservations.

It wasn’t a big deal for us with the wailana pool switching to family. We actually preferred that pool with the kids as we just sat on the ledge in the shade and watched them swim as we relaxed in the water. It never seemed overwhelmed with kids like the other areas (although that might have changed since we were there earlier this year). The infinity pool with its deeper depths would actually be a better adults only pool.

We also just got back from Aulani. We were there June 17-28. We found none of these things. Perhaps because we have been several times before we weren't dependent on info from the CM's.

However, I do have some complaints.
The former adult pool is still open to everybody. We were able to see into it and the rest of the pool areas from our balcony and it's obvious that there's plenty of room for families.

The check in process is horrible. We were a group of six, using three different consecutive linked reservations. We wanted to use 4 different cards (different families). It took nearly an hour to get it all ironed out at checkin. And even then there were difficulties with some of the keys or charging at various points during our stay. It wasn't the CM that was the difficulty as they were very knowledgeable. It's just that their system can't easily handle complex reservations.
Our check in process has always been flawless, but, then, it’s only my wife and I using one credit card.

I have a complaint too. Our dining experience at Ama Ama was substandard. Our waiter wasn’t as present as he should have been and our food was delivered somewhat lukewarm/tepid. We didn’t want to wait another 45 minutes for new entrees, so we didn't say anything but I did complain to the restaurant manager the next day. She was polite but dismissive, and offered the grand gesture of complimentary coffee or tea if we came back. Uh, thanks. I certainly wasn’t expecting a free meal, but that was kinda insulting.

Now I’m considering going back to Roy’s next time we’re there. Am not a fan after I gave it a second chance and wasn’t impressed, haven’t been there for a couple years, but maybe it’s worth another try!

We just arrived today for our 4th trip, with the last one being 5 years ago. We bought DVC Aulani points before the resort opened and have enjoyed our stays quite a bit.

For this particular trip, we added it to a two week trip to Japan so we could adjust to the time difference and relax.

We had to wait in the pool area and in the lobby for our room to be ready so I spent a lot of time observing. First, the lobby furniture has seen better days, the coffee table had a nice layer of dust and the throw rugs were in need of vacuuming.

I was bummed to see that robes were no longer in the closet and we received just one of each H2O product. I somehow recall getting a few of each?? Also, our one bedroom didn’t have blankets for the beds. When I called to request them, I was told they no longer store them in the coffee table and they have to be requested because they never know how many people are in the room. It seems as if the reservation is for four, there should be blankets and pillows available.

Additionally, I saw a lot of unhappy families but I don’t know if it was an off day or a full moon. 🤷🏻‍♀️. The resort was packed so maybe people were a little hot and frustrated. Several spouses were arguing and teenagers were scolded.

I’ll check back in towards the end of my stay with more observations! Hopefully the guests cheer up and enjoy their trip!

There’s also a water feature on the outside patio of The Olelo Room, right by the little curved bridge leading to Makahiki, that was dry last week. It’s a nice little pool with vertical elements sticking out of the pool that also bubble water. We had never noticed it before. Do you know if that is working?
Sorry, we were on the Big Island yesterday (a great 1-day do-it-yourself trip to the black sand beach at Punalu’u and to Volcanoes National Park) and I’m just now seeing this. I’ll check tomorrow.

I was bummed to see that robes were no longer in the closet and we received just one of each H2O product.
Just call housekeeping and they’ll bring them. We had 4 robes delivered on our first day. They’ve been really responsive to everything we’ve needed (and great at bringing extra cookware, etc).

Also, the elevator button on the 12th floor Ewa tower lobby that was out has been replaced.

Also, have enjoyed free luau viewing again this trip :)
IMG_9641.jpeg

There’s also a water feature on the outside patio of The Olelo Room, right by the little curved bridge leading to Makahiki, that was dry last week. It’s a nice little pool with vertical elements sticking out of the pool that also bubble water. We had never noticed it before. Do you know if that is working?
Hi Paul, I believe all of it is working.

Just watched some of the luau again from the balcony. Didn’t have the heart to tell everyone that the show used to be free…

3rd time here - once pre-Covid, once during Covid, and now.

Feels to me like the magic is fading. Literally everything needs reservations now save for sushi (which takes an hour for an order). Our poolside lunch order took 50 minutes. Aunties is no longer drop off at a whim. Rented snorkel gear was broken. Soda machines ran out of ice and sputtered raw soda mix. Have to grab a chair by 6:30 am or they’re all taken. And this time of year is expensive AF.

This is all pretty minor stuff all things considered, but it is definitely not the premium experience I’ve become accustomed to at pre-Covid aulani or the ritz or other premium resorts I’ve been to. Aulani is going downmarket service-wise, but not price-wise.

My next stay will be at 4 seasons Maui.

Feels to me like the magic is fading. Literally everything needs reservations now save for sushi (which takes an hour for an order). Our poolside lunch order took 50 minutes. Aunties is no longer drop off at a whim. Rented snorkel gear was broken. Soda machines ran out of ice and sputtered raw soda mix. Have to grab a chair by 6:30 am or they’re all taken. And this time of year is expensive AF.

couldn’t agree more…criminal about Aunties and to see the running of the bulls pre-dawn for chairs is the saddest, most pathetic sight you will ever see

couldn’t agree more…criminal about Aunties and to see the running of the bulls pre-dawn for chairs is the saddest, most pathetic sight you will ever see
One other thing. The stampede starts the night before when you see people carrying stacks of towels up to their rooms so they can send one family member down to hold multiple lounge chairs the next morning.

Having no choice, I got down early one morning around 7 to sit in a lounge chair in front of Ama Ama and hold the one by it for my wife, who was coming down when things opened at 8. It’s not so bad getting up if your body clock is still on at least Los Angeles time. A whole line of loungers were already covered with towels, yet not a single person was there, which is against what few rules exist. So I moved them and sat down myself! The guy came back about 10 minutes later and threw a snit fit, but I wasn’t going to yield so he had no choice but to stalk off.

Turns out he complained to a pool attendant, who came over and lectured me saying I should have pointed this out to a cast member instead of doing anything myself. I told him the truth, that I couldn’t find a single cast member at that time of the morning who was there to listen to me. So I was the bad guy!

Whatever. I kept the loungers and had a great day. But management should fix this issue.

I told him the truth, that I couldn’t find a single cast member at that time of the morning who was there to listen to me. So I was the bad guy!
Yeah, the lounge chair meter-maids are pathetically understaffed. More than once I fully expected to lose my spot (got distracted with the kids, spontaneous nap in the room, etc) and lo and behold all my stuff was still there 90 minutes or 2 hours later. It’s a nice surprise in the moment, but those are chairs other people could be using.

What I really want to know is how it’s possible to not have enough loungers when the hotel knows precisely how many people are there! It’s not like Vegas where some large % of guests won’t go to the pool so you estimate very low… people come here literally to sit by the pool or the beach.

Yeah, the lounge chair meter-maids are pathetically understaffed. More than once I fully expected to lose my spot (got distracted with the kids, spontaneous nap in the room, etc) and lo and behold all my stuff was still there 90 minutes or 2 hours later. It’s a nice surprise in the moment, but those are chairs other people could be using.

What I really want to know is how it’s possible to not have enough loungers when the hotel knows precisely how many people are there! It’s not like Vegas where some large % of guests won’t go to the pool so you estimate very low… people come here literally to sit by the pool or the beach.
We gave up when we were there last month, and just switched to renting casabellas. Of course there’s an annoying line for those as well, but at least it starts a little later.

We gave up when we were there last month, and just switched to renting casabellas. Of course there’s an annoying line for those as well, but at least it starts a little later.
Did you do the Ama Ama casbellas like in entendu's picture? Or the beach ones?

We have the lanai booked one day in a couple weeks. That we are keeping (unless weather dictates otherwise) and looking forward to trying out. But we have the cheaper of the Ama Ama ones also booked another day. Last time (2019) we had one reserved but decided it was too far down for us. But we are planning on scoping it out and rethinking it this time. Right now I am feeling 50/50 on keeping it. But if we give it up, I am considering getting a beach one. If that is what you got- how early was the line up? Thanks!

Did you do the Ama Ama casbellas like in entendu's picture? Or the beach ones?

We have the lanai booked one day in a couple weeks. That we are keeping (unless weather dictates otherwise) and looking forward to trying out. But we have the cheaper of the Ama Ama ones also booked another day. Last time (2019) we had one reserved but decided it was too far down for us. But we are planning on scoping it out and rethinking it this time. Right now I am feeling 50/50 on keeping it. But if we give it up, I am considering getting a beach one. If that is what you got- how early was the line up? Thanks!
Yes, we got one of the casabellas on the beach…more accurately, on the grassy area right in front of the beach. What’s pictured are not casabellas. They’re just loungers. Since it’s just my wife and I, we have no need for the larger lanais near Ama Ama, which in my opinion are monumentally overpriced.
The line up can start as early as 7, but most people start arriving around 7:30 - 7:45. There’s always a chance, however slim, thst you won’t get one if there are too many people in front of you. There are only 13 casabellas and some people get three or four. We always got one though.

If you’ve got a larger group and can swing the cost, the cabanas are definitely worth it!

We never had a problem finding loungers, but we only needed 1-2 to store our stuff when in the pool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter