• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does anyone else avoid booking resorts themed like 'home'?

linzjane88

Closet Disneyphile
I live in the Pacific NW and I find myself repeatedly skipping over Wilderness Lodge, even when I can get it for a screaming deal, because it looks so much like resorts that I have within an hour or two from my house.
Same goes for the restaurants there. I've dined at Artist Point and while it was great I don't plan on going back simply because salmon and Tillamook cheddar are kind of old news to me.

Anyone else have resorts they've blacklisted for the same reason?

Nope. If I were routinely staying at Salish Lodge or up at Rainier it might be different, but I’m not. our stay at VWL was wonderful. Tillamook cheese is lovely. Why avoid it? Love the smoked cheddar grits at The Wave (they make them for me without the bacon). I don’t eat salmon though.

Family lives in FL and aunt is from upstate NY. If they refused to stay at OKW or SSR because of feelings of home they’d be out of luck, since we book those places for extended family stays.

I live in the Pacific NW and I find myself repeatedly skipping over Wilderness Lodge, even when I can get it for a screaming deal, because it looks so much like resorts that I have within an hour or two from my house.
Same goes for the restaurants there. I've dined at Artist Point and while it was great I don't plan on going back simply because salmon and Tillamook cheddar are kind of old news to me.

Anyone else have resorts they've blacklisted for the same reason?

love the theming of VWL now but did not buy there (bought BCV) when we joined DVC because at the time we camped a lot here in NE and VWL didn't seem Florida or tropical enough for us lol!

Yes! At least when it came to buying into DVC. I just couldn't spend $$$ to own at SSR. The real Saratoga Springs is less than 45 minutes away. My kiddos have ridden on the real carousel :earboy2:

love the theming of VWL now but did not buy there (bought BCV) when we joined DVC because at the time we camped a lot here in NE and VWL didn't seem Florida or tropical enough for us lol!
I totally agree. It's a beautiful resort and all but I need palm trees! I want to feel like I left home.

That’s exactly how I feel about it-also love in PNW and it doesn’t seem like an exciting vacation escape to me.

Of course, then we went and bought at VGC. But we love DL and it’s or only choice there, plus my husband adores the style.

Live in south Jersey, a shore town, and Love BCV and BWV! Hometown does not take away from staying there. Cape May is also known for Victorian architecture, we love to stay at Grand Floridian in December, every 2-3 years, we do not have that many points there.

Last edited:

When we lived in Colorado the Wilderness Lodge really reminded me of home. I didn't avoid WL as I lived in the city not in the mountains. Same fowith BLT we lived in a high rise for years, and when they built Bay Lake Tower at CR I couldn't wait to own there. At Aulani, locals love stay there because it is so much like home, they call it a staycation.

Now that you mention this, I now realize why I steer away from beach-themed decor. We live close to the beaches and all the Florida beach-themed Christmas decor in the stores with the seashells, starfish, lighted fake palm trees is getting old. Like you say, old news. Even Hawaiian themes are boring to me -- too beachy, oceany, we get plenty enough of that here. Which is probably why we have never stayed at the Polynesian. Floridian for 40 years now and would love some non-tropical, non-beachy-ness for once. That can also explain why I love the theming of AKL and WL -- they are exotic novelties to me since I've never lived in the deep Northwest nor Africa.

Well, I think it would be interesting to stay in a "Texas" themed resort even though I live in Texas...because the cowboy and cactus theme is far different than Central and East Texas. And the Texas lore is not reality, at least not in modern day Texas.

It's not so much avoiding it as it is 'why fill up on food I can get at my grocery store when I can get _______ that we don't have at home?'. Don't get me wrong, I love me some grits. The BBQ Shrimp and Grits at Narcoosee's appetizers is one of my favorite meals.

Actually I have never seen grits on the menu pretty much anywhere near me here at home so I guess we can put that back on the list.

I felt the same way about the WL for years. Always said I have no desire to see Pine trees. I want palm trees.
After several visits in December, for dinners and traveling around the Lodge and campgrounds, I have come to look forward to going over there in December. Wouldn't mind doing a split stay with a couple of nights there in December.

Outside of that, I need my fix at my home resorts.

(Maybe the difference is, I don't really like pine trees other than my Christmas tree. After reading what KAT4DISNEY wrote, it might just be those who like living in that area like it for vacation. Those of us who don't appreciate the woods feel aren't going to appreciate the WL)

Nope. If I were routinely staying at Salish Lodge or up at Rainier it might be different, but I’m not. our stay at VWL was wonderful. Tillamook cheese is lovely. Why avoid it? Love the smoked cheddar grits at The Wave (they make them for me without the bacon). I don’t eat salmon though.

Family lives in FL and aunt is from upstate NY. If they refused to stay at OKW or SSR because of feelings of home they’d be out of luck, since we book those places for extended family stays.

I'm in the Pacific Northwest as well and wilderness Lodge is the only resort on site I haven't stayed at. While it is a lovely resort, it just isn't high on my list to stay there.

Yes! I can’t see myself staying at Coronado, even though I’m not from Mexico, their offerings on food and ambiance are still very Latin, and being around latin food a vibes is not what I’m looking for on a Disney Vacation.

I'm in the Pacific Northwest as well and wilderness Lodge is the only resort on site I haven't stayed at. While it is a lovely resort, it just isn't high on my list to stay there.

It’s how I felt before I stepped foot in there. And then I felt foolish for having thought to avoid it. It’s so pretty. And then we stayed there and it was lovely. Had a pretty little balcony and it reminded me of a trip to Bellingham when I was 19.

Like I said, if I were always staying at Salish lodge that might be one thing. But I’m not. :)

I've avoided POR in the past as we actually live on Alligator Bayou! I've heard such great things, even from my neighbors that we're trying it next!

I can't bring myself to book at the Beach Club as I've been told that it is supposed to be styled in the theme of Cape Cod, MA. Now I still doubt this statement, but if true, then I have no clue what version of the Cape the architect went to. I can't think of anyplace that looks remotely like the Beach club. I just don't want to walk in and find myself saying "Oh? So this is what home is supposed to look like." o_O I wouldn't have a problem with the BC otherwise.

We bought VWL preopening because we used to live in Montana and visited Yellowstone a lot. We now live in SW FL, just northeast of the Everglades and love OKW, our other home resort (and first home resort). We also enjoy the GFV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter