Does anyone do trip insurance through DVC?

Rock'n Robin

Disney Queen
I got my written confirmation of my BWV ressie for next July today. It also had the trip insurance flyer--last year we didn't get it. It would be $50 for the BWV ressie (160 pts.) and another $50 for our VWL ressie (180 pts.). Does anyone have any recommendation pro or con about this?
Robin M.

We thought about this on our Millennium trip as my grandmother was near death, and not going was a possibility. We decided NOT to do it. The reason? It doesn't restore your points, and we had other people staying with us who we would have let take the whole reservation over anyway. As it turned out, we didn't need it anyway.

They only refund you about $5 for every point so you have to decide whether it is worth it. Unless you are traveling towards the very end of your use year (when a cancellation will mean a loss of points) I don't think the insurance is worth the cost.

Last year we did purchase the trip insurance for our trip in February.

We ended up missing our connecting flight in Chicago, which forced us to spend a night there, due an "Air Traffic Controller Delay" (fancy words for too many planes in the air).

The insurance reimbursed us for our hotel and meal costs, but not for our points. They explained to me that only a medical condition would allow for your points to be reimbursed.

We also got lucky that our delay was 12 hours and 5 minutes. If our delay had been less then 12 hours, we would not have gotten anything from the insurance company.

I must say that the insurance company was easy to deal with and did pay us promptly.

Do to the limitations of the plan however, we will not be using travel insurance in the future.

Hope this helps...

I would like to see what they do cover, conditions, limitations and amount of coverages. No details are givin on the flyer.

There is no information given on the flyer. Not even the reimbursement rate. I called the insurance company number on the flyer and they couldn't tell me the reimbursement rate. they told me to call Disney. Disney referred me back to to the insurance company, but it was finally Disney member Services that quoted me the $5 per point figure that apparently constantly gets re-negotiated. From this treatment I got a bad feeling about the insurance as a whole.

Robin,

I think you have a Feb. use year. You can cancel a July reservation 30 days prior and still bank 100% of your points. So any insurance that you pay for is really only covering you 30 days prior to travel.

Dumbo

I too have a question on this...
We are new DVC members and this will be our first visit home.
Our use year is June and we are traveling at the end of Nov. and first week of Dec. to the parks then to Disney Magic, borrowing some points from next year.
If for some reason we need to cancel before 30 days out will we get our 100% points back? and if it is less than 30 days prior what is the penalty?

I apoligize if this is a silly question but I am new to this whole thing.
;)
Thanks loads to anyone who can shed some light for me.

Call member services and ask. However I am of the impression that reservations cancelled 31 days prior can be reasigned to another trip. This is subject to all the normal banking restrictions of your use year. Reservations cancelled within the last 30 days will be put into a holding account and can be used only for reservations 30 days out from the day you want to go. You can see it will probably be very hard to use these points unless you get lucky and can travel on short notice. As I said please confirm this with member services. You run into yur biggest chance of losing points when you cancel a vacation that is near the end of your use year. You will have no time left to reuse your points. Hope this helps.

They made a change on holding account points. They can now be reserved 60 days before arrival.

I do not ever plan to use the insurance mainly because I could never get a straight answer from anyone at DVC as to what it covered....if they promote the product they should back it up.

Just the fact that we can't get the full details without jumping through hoops tells me its not worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter