Does anyone actually *like* going in July?

We have gone in July for the past few years and have so much fun! I would say absolutely have a plan. You can't just wander around and do whatever you want when you want. If you plan your days and relax it's a great summer vacation. The heat is probably the worst part but manageable....take breaks, use sunscreen, bring extra clothes for the afternoons. In the past we've never left to do pools & come back to the park. I kinda thought we'd never go back once we got relaxed. This year we're going to try that method.
Bottom line...if you go with a positive attitude and plan we think it's a lot of fun!
Good luck! :)

Don't rule it out. The summer's usually the only time we can go and it's definitely doable. Like everyone else said, just plan ahead, get there early, take a break during mid-day, and you'll be fine. Granted it seems to be personal in some ways... do you mind kind of intense and unrelenting heat? Do you mind big crowds and long lines (even getting there early they're inevitable)?

I'd say go for it. :) :thumbsup2

We went in July last summer. I heard so many horror stories about the temperature, the crowds and Brazilian tour groups that I was so nervous! Honestly it wasn't that bad.

First of all, yes it was HOT. We are from Canada and the heat was definitely an adjustment for us but we bought misting fans, drank a lot of water and spent as much time in the A/C as we could. Luckily, a lot of lines are indoors and air conditioned. Don't forget hats and sunscreen and go easy! The heat tired us out easily so we took breaks often.

As far as the crowds go, it was busy but not unbearable. Most days we got there early and hit the headliners, then spent the rest of the day using our Fastpasses, watching shows and seeing less popular attractions. EMHs at night were usually pretty crowded, but the crowds thinned near the end. The late hours + EMHs mean the Magic Kingdom can be open until 2 or 3 in the morning! The parks are practically empty by that point.

Finally, the tour groups did not bother us at all. We stayed at a value resort and there were groups at our resort but we weren't at all disturbed by any noise in the room or by huge groups overtaking the pool. Generally we headed in the opposite direction when we saw them, so we had no problem.:thumbsup2

As long as you plan and are prepared, I'm sure you will have a wonderful trip. :wizard:

I have no problem going in July and have gone this time of the year several times, once during July 4th. Of course, people will fill your ears with complaints of the heat and the crowds. If you're going to let that affect your fun, you won't have a good time. I am an avid Disney World fan, so any time I am able to visit I cherish and appreciate. You can always find something to complain about, so if July is the best time for you to go, don't go into the trip scared. Have a healthy respect for the heat and crowds. Expect them to be there and prepare for them. Do that, and you will have a great time :)

I'm a teacher, so we've been going for 2 weeks in July for the past 10 years and we like it! Where I live in Canada, the weather is exactly like Orlando in the summer, so we are very used to it. We are DVC members, so we take it easy and this is key. We also drink lots of fresh, cold bottled water, eat healthy snacks such as fruit, eat 2 TS meals a day so our sugar stays balanced and we are able to rest in the cool air, lots of sunscreen, swimming and air conditioning. Nothing beats sitting in World Showcase while eating some gelato, and just people watching as the sun is going down!

You can't beat the hours in July either as the parks are open very late (except AK). People are extra grumpy at times due to hot weather, so be prepared for that. Honestly though, the crowds aren't that bad (with the exception of July 4th) and I laugh when I see posts in which people say that July is worse than Christmas. Ummm...no way! We are July experts, and it fluctuates each year - some years are busier than others, but with Fastpasses and afternoon naps/rests at resorts, it is very manageable and nothing like Christmas crowds.

Happy July Disney vacation to you! Tiger :)

AMAZINGLY HELPFUL comments and thoughts everyone! I absolutely cannot thank you enough! These thoughts here have really given me great things to consider.

THANK YOU!!!

I love going in July. That means everything will be open. Plus the park is open late. I am late riser because I have stay in the 2 a.m parks. getting to the park early is out the question. I love hot weather. I rather for to hot then cold. I can take the heat because I work outside in the summer in a concession with all the machines it's hot. Plus I am teacher now so I can only take vacations in the summer or holidays.

Remember to drink plenty of water.

I'm so glad I found this thread. We're going in July and to be brutally honest, I'm terrified. Our previous two trips were in April and December and we literally had the park to ourself (except for the two days of Christmas week).

Seeing some positive feedback from people who have gone in July and enjoyed it gives me hope. :goodvibes

How I wish that we could also go as early as anyone here but we still have to wait 8 months to go back. Looking forward for in hearing more from all of you.

Have a nice day everyone. :)

First trip in June '06 was as the tail end of a tropical storm = hot and humid. Second trip March of '08 = unseasonably cold. Much preferred hot!

If it wasn't so crowded, I wouldn't mind it.

We went to IOA/US and SeaWorld in July 07 and loved it. Because we stayed onsite, the crowds didn't matter.

We are another group that loves going in the summer. The crowds are usally our only concern, but we FAR prefer the heat, and the ability to enjoy pools and water attractions, over the cooler times of the year.

In the past years we have been anywhere form April through September. Our favorite month so far? August....that really surprised us as we have always read how miserable it is between the heat, and the free dining crowds. In all honesty, it has never been as bad as we have read.

Our first June trip in a while is coming up this year, and we are truly looking forward to it. Bring on the heat so my daughter doesn't make me take those late night swims in the 50-60 degree temps! :lmao:

I think I've only been in the summer and that includes this past July.

Here are 10 reasons I LOVE going in the summer:

1) I prefer HOT over COLD so when I go in the summer and it is HOT, I just remember how COLD it gets back home in the winter and it makes it better.

2) It is HOT and Humid but it is only an initial blast that you really feel it. After a minute your body adjusts and it is not bad.

3) HOT during the day means it is warm at night which I love. You can go swimming or have a drink on a patio and feel comfortable.

4) There is always a late afternoon 20-30 minute rain storm that cools things down a bit

5) The HOT temps make the Gran Marnier Slush in France taste even better!

6) Water Parks and water rides are much more fun as you dry off quickly

7) You welcome a chance to sit in an air conditioned venue for a half hour to catch one of the indoor shows (one tip: don't ride an air conditioned indoor ride like SM or M:S immediately after a water ride... unless you purposely want to catch a cold that is)

8) Did I mention the Gran Marnier Slush?

9) There is a lot of shade any way, especially in AK. Just walk in the shade as much as you can and always keep a bottle of water handy.

10) I can eat as much as I want because I know I'll sweat off the calories while walking thru the parks

I will try other seasons someday but I have no problems going in the summer!

I know it sounds strange, but even though I've been there at least once every month of the year, summer is our favorite time of year to go. I agree with everyone of these reasons and I'll add one more by saying the parks are open a little later, at least MK is and my DH loves that. We will be there again this July, and to make matters even better, we'll be there July 4th week. Talk about crowds, but we're okay with that. We'll just have to pace ourselves a little different.

We like going in July. Until about 3 years ago, we always went in July because my husband has the 1st 2 weeks in July off every year. We always had a great time. We generally got on all of the rides we wanted and we spent a lot of time in the water parks. We liked to reserve a table service meal in the middle of the day to get out of the heat. We never had any complaints - even on the 4th of July. Now that we have kids, we aim more for the winter and September time frame. It is easier on the kids when the crowds are low and the weather is cooler. However, if it were the only time I could get there, I wouldn't hesitate to go in July.

The very first trip to WDW was right after July 4th 2002. Lines were long, it was hot, but it was still OMGDISNEYWORLD to me.

I remember riding up to Summit Plummit on the Ski Lift, and seeing the Temp right at 102, it was 10:00 am.

ME ME ME ME! Some of my most favorite trips have been in July & Aug. In 2007, I went on my birthday - That was the coolest day ever. I love that I only have to bring WARM clothes, unlike other times of the year.

We always go every year in the summer. It's usually July, but we had to move it to June the past 2 years. We love going in the summer. Yes, it gets hot and yes there are crowds. But, you can't let that get the best of your trip. We take our time, drink lots of water, and always take an afternoon break to swim/relax before heading out for the night.

I just wanted to say that this is a good thread. People spend so much time here worrying about crowds etc. I thought going in the summer was insane. But I had no idea about the longer park hours etc. You may have sold me on a summer Disney vacation! LOL. :thumbsup2

I have only been once in July (about 10 years ago when I was in HS) so I can't say much for those crowds. However, I can say something about dealing with the heat. We have been in August, September, October, November and December and I have to say I much prefer the hotter months over the cooler. One reason (and this may seem silly) is how much less room summer clothes take up in your suitcase. For me 10 days worth of cotton shorts, tanks, and two pairs of flip flops can easily fit in a carry-on. This last Thanksgiving (layer-wearing-weather), I felt like I was taking my whole wardrobe because you don't really know what to expect in cooler months! Also, we love using the pool and the feeling at night once the sun is down and the temps are just really comfortable.

DH and I have lived in hot Houston for almost 7 years now, so I guess we are sort of used to the heat, but I still have to be careful about heatstroke. We just drink plenty of water, and dip in and out of the AC as much as possible. Now if you are taking little kids, they may have a harder time adjusting, so you might want to use the afternoon to take a break. I am sure you will have a blast any way you decide! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter