Does a different UY require making a separate reservation?

Stargazer65

Disney Honorary Bus Driver since 2009
Just asking to see if I understand how this works correctly. So, let me use an example:
I have BLT and SSR both with a June UY, but now I am adding BRV with a September UY.

If I booked a reservation 7 months out then I could draw off both my BLT and SSR contracts to book a single reservation, correct?

But if wanted to make it a longer reservation and have to use the BRV points, then I would need to book that as a second reservation, adding day(s) to the front or back. If I want to not move rooms then after I book it, I would have to call MS and ask them to combine the two reservations into one. Is that the way that would work?

That is one way to make it work.
You can also first transfer the BRV points into the other membership and combine them at 7 months. Now that you can book online using transfered points it seems to be the best option. This way you can book the whole reservation when the 7 months window opens and not have to wait to book the second one with the risk of not getting it. At peak times it can be very important to have this advantage.
Just remember you can transfer only once per year, IN or OUT, of any membership. So doing what I suggested above would not allow you you transfer points again (for example if you'd like to rent a few more points).

You can also first transfer the BRV points into the other membership and combine them at 7 months.
Can you transfer before the points are available?

For example If you book a December 2021 reservation in May using June 2021 UY points, can you also transfer and combine the September UY points make that reservation?

At any given time, you can transfer points that are in your current use year or the "next" use year. E.g, assume you have a June use year and a Sep use year. You could today transfer from one to the other either the 2020 points or 2021 points (and actually you could do both of those transfers today).

Last edited:

Just asking to see if I understand how this works correctly. So, let me use an example:
I have BLT and SSR both with a June UY, but now I am adding BRV with a September UY.

If I booked a reservation 7 months out then I could draw off both my BLT and SSR contracts to book a single reservation, correct?

But if wanted to make it a longer reservation and have to use the BRV points, then I would need to book that as a second reservation, adding day(s) to the front or back. If I want to not move rooms then after I book it, I would have to call MS and ask them to combine the two reservations into one. Is that the way that would work?

The trips will never be combined into one reservation unless you transfer,

All MS can do is put a note that it is a continuation of another trip. It will lead to different dates for dining.

The other piece, as mentioned, is to transfer. But, understand that any banked or borrowed points sitting in the accounts from contracts will be used first before transferred points can be used.

As mentioned, if you wanted to transfer the BRV points, you can not transfer any if they have been banked, and once transferred, you can’t borrow from them.

For example, say you wanted to book a trip in July 2021. It is in your June 2021 UY but only your Sept 2020 UY.

If you wanted to use Sept 2021 points for that July trip, you can’t transfer them since they have to be borrowed for that July trip. So you would need to book them as separate.

It’s actually a little more integrated now than just a note. MS can link the two reservations in Disney’s systems.
When you enter it into MDE you only need the reservation# for your arrival date.
What I don’t know for sure is whether the linking gets carried forward to the room assignor system. I’ve always put in a room request to be in the same room for the continuing nights. Plus I verify at the front desk when arriving.

It will lead to different dates for dining.
I don't know what that means. I definitely won't be bringing any other date to dinner, it will always be my wife LOL.

For example, say you wanted to book a trip in July 2021. It is in your June 2021 UY but only your Sept 2020 UY.
If you wanted to use Sept 2021 points for that July trip, you can’t transfer them since they have to be borrowed for that July trip. So you would need to book them as separate.

That a good way to understand that, thanks.

I don't know what that means. I definitely won't be bringing any other date to dinner, it will always be my wife LOL.

That a good way to understand that, thanks.

Haha. For dining reservation. When you have a trip booked on two UYs, the 60 day window for dining reservations will only be open for each.

MS used to be able to override it but I have heard they no longer can.

Can you transfer your resale points to your regular DVC points?

Transfer is an act that sends points in one membership to another membership. They are not transferred into the same contract as a receiving member's regular DVC points, just into the member's general account. After transfer, the points maintain the same resort identity, use year, and resale restrictions that the points had before being transferred. Thus, resale points can be transferred but any restrictions to their use that existed before transfer remain after transfer.

We are adding on a lowball HH contract(if it passes ROFR) so we can stay in larger units for the next 20 years. This will be our second contract so I have never dealt will multiples before. I just assumed during booking DVC would allow you to pull points from separate contracts where points were available. So I'll need to transfer available points for one contract to another to make a single booking? Is this available via the website or only by calling MS?

We are adding on a lowball HH contract(if it passes ROFR) so we can stay in larger units for the next 20 years. This will be our second contract so I have never dealt will multiples before. I just assumed during booking DVC would allow you to pull points from separate contracts where points were available. So I'll need to transfer available points for one contract to another to make a single booking? Is this available via the website or only by calling MS?

If the points are in the same use year as your existing contract, the two contracts will be part of the same membership and points will be usable together at 7 months out (unless what you already have is also an HH contract, in which case the points can be used together at 11 months out). If same use year, when you go to book a reservation at 7 months out, both contracts will be available for use together in the online reservation system -- you just need to designate both for the reservation when making the reservation. Both will have the same banking dates and be part of the same annual bill for dues.

If the HH points are from a different use year from the one you already have, you will be assigned a new membership number for the new contract. It will show up in the same online account as your prior contract, but all accounting for it will be separate. The online system will not allow your use of both contracts when doing a reservation unless you first transfer points from one membership to the other; absent a transfer, you would have to make one reservation for part of the trip and then switch member numbers in the online account to make a second reservation for the remainder of a trip -- and then contact MS to have it link the reservations to avoid having to change rooms. Also, the annual dues bills you get will be separate for each membership and will be paid separately.

Having two different use years can potentially provide benefits that do not exist with one use year. If you take trips at different times of year, having separate use years allows you to use one contract for one trip and the other contract for another trip and avoid any of the cancellation/inability to bank issues that could arise in relation to reservations made for times near the end of your use year. Moreover, when the two use years are used together for one trip by making two separate, sequential reservations, you can purchase up to the maximum one time use points allowed for both reservations, thus doubling the one time use points you could get for the particular trip.

Last edited:
Transfer is an act that sends points in one membership to another membership. They are not transferred into the same contract as a receiving member's regular DVC points, just into the member's general account. After transfer, the points maintain the same resort identity, use year, and resale restrictions that the points had before being transferred. Thus, resale points can be transferred but any restrictions to their use that existed before transfer remain after transfer.
Great explanation of transfer, thanks!

To add what has already been shared in regards to one vs two memberships, the newest points will not be bookable at RIV or future resorts, even though you own points bought before Jan 2019.

So, as mentioned, same UY, all points can be be used at 11 months if same resort or 7 months if different.

To add what has already been shared in regards to one vs two memberships, the newest points will not be bookable at RIV or future resorts, even though you own points bought before Jan 2019.

So, as mentioned, same UY, all points can be be used at 11 months if same resort or 7 months if different.

Thanks to both. Great explanations. And the transfer between our memberships is available online correct? Im familiar with the area to transfer out to other memberships. I assume thats the same?

Thanks to both. Great explanations. And the transfer between our memberships is available online correct? Im familiar with the area to transfer out to other memberships. I assume thats the same?

You still have to call to actually transfer points if you have two UYs/memberships. But the newest updates allow you to see and use those points online.

The only piece is transferred points won’t be used until any banked or borrowed points sitting in your account are used up first.

When you transfer points can you request any point amount of the UY available, or is it all or none?

When you transfer points can you request any point amount of the UY available, or is it all or none?

What ever you want. You can transfer from the current UY and the next, as long as points are not banked or borrowed,

And, they retain all their own info, so UY, home resort, and restrictions, You just want to be sure that they are valid for the trip.

Though, one transferred, points can be banked.

For example, I transferred my June 2020 points into my Dec UY. Those points went into my account and could be used for June 1st until May 31st, which covered trips that were part of my Dec 2019 UY and part of my Dec 2020 UY...

I didn't know that, why would you do that...can you borrow them once transferred?

I was going to ask about that next, now I don't have to.

No, you can’t borrow them, but if you were making a reservation at 11 months that took place in the next UY, you would want to transfer before making it,

For example, I have Aug and Dec UY. If I wanted to make a Dec 2021 trip in January, I might want my Dec 2021 points in my Aug 2021 UY so I can book one straight trip since they are both SSR points.

That would mean to have them in January, I’d want to transfer them while I was still in my 2020 Dec UY.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter