Doctor Dies From Allergic Reaction After Raglan Road Meal at Disney Springs

Southeast.

I will say (for travel) certain parts of Tennessee were flummoxed no matter which way I said the allergy (I just started explaining what couldn't be eaten normally to wait staff). It's why I always tell a waiter/waitress that I have no problems waiting for them to chat with a chef, even if they have to do it multiple times. And if I find waitstaff originally flummoxed, I always order "as safe as possible." A plain burger no bun (with a paid side of fruit) is my "safest" meal for places that seem confused by allergies. But sometimes, when you're traveling and you get stuck with no oven (I always have a fridge), you have to make do.
I’ve live my whole life with food allergies. I’ve had 5 episodes of anaphylaxis that were each able to be stopped quickly. I do the same thing as you, a piece of meat and some fruit. I want to be able to see each individual component of food with no sauces or coatings. I take a Benadryl before I eat somewhere new, if the server is being dismissive I put the epipen on the table and tell them it’s going to save my life if they don’t take this seriously. It’s a tragedy that she’s dead, and I feel horrible for her family, but I’m confused as to why they left her alone after eating at an unknown restaurant. Especially when they did not feel that the allergy was taken seriously. Didn’t they think she should be observed for a delayed reaction? She was a doctor.

Couldn’t agree more. You work in healthcare, I work in restaurants. I can’t even tell you how often people who say they are allergic to something and then eat it. We take our time to go look at the ingredients and make sure they can/can’t have it. Then when we go back to tell them they can’t, they say well a little bit is ok. I always want to tell them that doing that is bad for the people that can’t even be close to it. While I agree that for some people a little may be ok, making us go out of our way then saying oh well I’m still going to eat it is quite frustrating. However I still won’t ever not look into it, but I feel there are more people out there that say they are allergic to something just because they don’t like it than are actually allergic to it.
100% true. When I was dairy-free and breastfeeding, I had to cut out all dairy due to my baby's having a cow milk protein intolerance. I always told the waitstaff I needed to be dairy free but specifically made a point of saving that I would not have a severe allergic reaction if exposed to minute amounts. People claiming fake allergies really do a disservice to those who have these life-threatening problems by conditioning other people to think food allergies aren't a big deal.

I’ve live my whole life with food allergies. I’ve had 5 episodes of anaphylaxis that were each able to be stopped quickly. I do the same thing as you, a piece of meat and some fruit. I want to be able to see each individual component of food with no sauces or coatings. I take a Benadryl before I eat somewhere new, if the server is being dismissive I put the epipen on the table and tell them it’s going to save my life if they don’t take this seriously. It’s a tragedy that she’s dead, and I feel horrible for her family, but I’m confused as to why they left her alone after eating at an unknown restaurant. Especially when they did not feel that the allergy was taken seriously. Didn’t they think she should be observed for a delayed reaction? She was a doctor.
A question I’ve always wondered is if you’re in a state to drink Benadryl before anaphylaxis? I truly believe the Benadryl stops/reduces the reaction in the stomach and goes where the allergen is.

I’ve looked up doing a trach watching a Seal team 6 program after hearing about the kids dying onboard a flight. Does the entire airway swell or could someone create an opening to breathe?

So, I do disagree with the person who says always say "milk allergy" vs "dairy allergy" - in the allergy world, better for folks making and cooking your food to be too safe vs not safe enough. And better for them to hear a word that always references allergies vs one that many people have an intolerance for.
I specifically said milk protein allergy because while Dairy might be the check box, few food services staff know what that entails. The dairy cooler at a food service establishment usually contains far more than milk products, often eggs, sometimes jello, mayo and other premade items. Staff needs more training on all of it for sure but I haven’t had staff include butter for either lactose intolerance or milk protein allergies so maybe that one staff member was confused about quite a bit. They should always err on the side of caution.

The question there is, who is responsible? Disney owns Disney Springs but does not own or operate the restaurant.
As of what is known publicly right now, the source of the allergens remains unknown. She may have eaten at Raglan Road, but I haven't seen anything that shows a test result from a sample of what she consumed at the restaurant or a statement from the kitchen acknowledging they served her one of her allergens.

I am sorry about her death.

As of what is known publicly right now, the source of the allergens remains unknown. She may have eaten at Raglan Road, but I haven't seen anything that shows a test result from a sample of what she consumed at the restaurant or a statement from the kitchen acknowledging they served her one of her allergens.

I am sorry about her death.
She was alone, so as of now it’s impossible to know if she consumed a dessert treat while walking around after the meal. If the case is not settled out of court, then I would imagine the Disney attorney would request her bank card records to see if she made any purchases.

Last edited:
These types of lawsuits are not good for those with allergies. Likely it will be settled but it could lead to Disney saying screw it we can’t garuntee allergen free ever.

These types of lawsuits are not good for those with allergies. Likely it will be settled but it could lead to Disney saying screw it we can’t garuntee allergen free ever.
Disney should pay up IMHO. I think they should pay for more than the 50-70k that’s being asked. It would send a signal that they continue to take food allergies seriously. We’ve spent all of our yearly vacation dollars at Disney (we are not DVC or annual passholders) vs going to Hawaii or Mexico strictly because we feel safe. Accidents happen and we can’t stay locked in a box. So many kids have allergies and being a kid themed park they can’t just cut off families.

Disney should pay up IMHO. I think they should pay for more than the 50-70k that’s being asked. It would send a signal that they continue to take food allergies seriously. We’ve spent all of our yearly vacation dollars at Disney (we are not DVC or annual passholders) vs going to Hawaii or Mexico strictly because we feel safe. Accidents happen and we can’t stay locked in a box. So many kids have allergies and being a kid themed park they can’t just cut off families.
Raglan Road is not owned or operated by Disney.
It's still an open question where she came in contact with allergen.

She was alone, so as of now it’s impossible to know if she consumed a dessert treat while walking around after the meal. If the case is not settled out of court, then I would imagine the Disney attorney would request her bank card records to see if she made any purchases.
The minute it happened they likely pulled all camera footage to try to follow her path.

Their story in itself doesn’t add up. I think it’s best to wait and see the final results of investigation.

A question I’ve always wondered is if you’re in a state to drink Benadryl before anaphylaxis? I truly believe the Benadryl stops/reduces the reaction in the stomach and goes where the allergen is.

I’ve looked up doing a trach watching a Seal team 6 program after hearing about the kids dying onboard a flight. Does the entire airway swell or could someone create an opening to breathe?
Benadryl is not enough to stop an anaphylactic reaction. It does not work fast or strong enough to reverse the reaction.

The minute it happened they likely pulled all camera footage to try to follow her path.

Their story in itself doesn’t add up. I think it’s best to wait and see the final results of investigation.
I'm no lawyer but don't you think that the requested damages are low enough that questions exist? I would think that if the case was solid a multi million payout would be in order.

I'm no lawyer but don't you think that the requested damages are low enough that questions exist? I would think that if the case was solid a multi million payout would be in order.
i think it stated an amount over $50k. That could mean anything from $51k to millions. I am sure they are thinking a higher amount due to loss of life. You do not have to spell out the exact amount of damages when you are filing.

I thought it was a Disney operated restaurant hence the lawsuit. Shouldn’t they be suing the pub then?

In any case whoever is responsible should own up to it.

https://www.allergicliving.com/2024...fter-doctor-dies-of-severe-allergic-reaction/

View attachment 837569
This is sorta like going to any entertainment district and claiming the responsibility of a 3rd party lies with both.

There are thousands of these entertainment places around the nation like this. Vast majority you're just dealing with places where a large entertainment district is owned by one entity and then spaces are leased out to various businesses. Disney Springs is less common where there's more of a mixture of Disney-owned/operated business than you would normally see.

Something maybe more like a security issue related to both the entertainment district AND a particular establishment that I could see having more shared responsibility. But a food allergy? That one is much much harder to collectively assign responsibility

My guess is however cynical as it may sound is maybe he was convinced to include Disney Springs due to it being Disney. If it wasn't Disney (or some other very high profile name) I doubt you'd have the two tied together. But that's going based off the information that we know of.

The burden of proof is going to be on the husband to show just how she got in contact. I do think the employees behavior at Raglan Road may lead one to finger point but the woman who passed away continued on shopping on her own. From what I've read as well the tests regarding identifying the allergens elevated in her system since they were conducted after she passed away "their validity and significance “have not been established.”"

This is an absolute tragedy. My heart aches for the family.

I do not think this is a Disney responsibility for payment as they do not own or operate Raglan Road.

My DD22 is highly allergic to peanuts and is also allergic to tree nuts, eggs, melons and unprocessed soy. There are many restaurants we will not visit because their menu contains too many peanuts and/or tree nuts. It's just not worth the risk of cross contamination.

We learned our lesson with non-Disney owned/operated on property restaurants many years ago when staying at CSR. Back when the Pepper Market had serving stations, a chef walked me through each counter with her allergens. DD loved Italian food at the time and he assured me the kitchen did not even stock egg containing noodles so pasta would be safe. A few nights later, we ordered the pasta with marinara sauce for a second time. The noodles given on her plate were a different shape. They looked like wide egg noodles. I asked the CM 2 times to make sure they had no egg. Both times she denied any egg ingredients. After sitting down at the table, my DD was about to take a bite and I pulled the fork away and took a bite myself. I could tell by the texture something was different. I took the food back to the station and demanded to see the chef. This chef also said no eggs in it but he would go double check. Well, when he returned, he admitted the noodles did indeed contain egg. Ridiculous. They just don't seem to have the same attention to detail or urgency that Disney owned establishments possess.

This is sorta like going to any entertainment district and claiming the responsibility of a 3rd party lies with both.

There are thousands of these entertainment places around the nation like this. Vast majority you're just dealing with places where a large entertainment district is owned by one entity and then spaces are leased out to various businesses. Disney Springs is less common where there's more of a mixture of Disney-owned/operated business than you would normally see.

Something maybe more like a security issue related to both the entertainment district AND a particular establishment that I could see having more shared responsibility. But a food allergy? That one is much much harder to collectively assign responsibility

My guess is however cynical as it may sound is maybe he was convinced to include Disney Springs due to it being Disney. If it wasn't Disney (or some other very high profile name) I doubt you'd have the two tied together. But that's going based off the information that we know of.

The burden of proof is going to be on the husband to show just how she got in contact. I do think the employees behavior at Raglan Road may lead one to finger point but the woman who passed away continued on shopping on her own. From what I've read as well the tests regarding identifying the allergens elevated in her system since they were conducted after she passed away "their validity and significance “have not been established.”"
And in this particular case, the lease may actually be for the ground and not the building. I think that every brick for the building came from Ireland- at least that was the story- and the original build was a partnership between Disney and a third party.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter