Do your teenagers enjoy going on family vacations?

P

pnelson

Or do they not want to be with you? What about Disney and Universal-Do they enjoy hanging out with Mom and Dad at Disney oriented vacations?

We have two teenage boys, ages 13 and 16. Do they want to hang with us at WDW the whole time, Not! This trip we are staying at the YC (end of August) and my sister, her hubby and 3 teens, son 14, girls 15 and 16 will be staying at YC also. The 5 of them have been planning on how to ditch us. We will give them their freedom but we are planning on "family time" too. The 4 of us will be staying at Universal for 3 nights prior to meeting up with my sister's family so maybe by then I won't mind them going off without us a bit. We will have cell phones and two way radios and I told the boys the first time they don't pick up, will be the last time they go anywhere with out us, so hoping that works. My sister and I planned this vacation together because we know the kids (especially at this age) will love being together, they all get a long well. I know it's normal, but I miss when they were little and so excited just at the sound of the words, "We're going to Disney World!" I think we will make the best of it and have a great time as always.

RobinLyn:D

At age 16 I thought "Well, this is probably the last family vacation". Boy, did I have that wrong! Ds is 19, a sophomore in college and still wants to go on the family vacation to WDW. He usually brings a buddy (we own DVC, so there is plenty of room.)

The trip is not the same as when he was little. The teens like to sleep later and stay out later than we do. Yes, they do like to go off on their own. They rent water sprites, go to DTD, and sometimes just stay by the pool all day. Our strategy is to plan 2 or 3 family activities - usually a meal together on arrival night and a couple of more activities. We have time off on our own and time together. It works out well. I know we're not dragging them there. This year some of his buddies were planning a road trip to California. I offered to give him the share of the vacation money (meals etc) that was his if he wanted to take the road trip instead of go with the family. He looked at me like I was crazy!

My oldest is 16 and she still loves to go with us, She is palnning on going every year we do, Because she said mom when i trun 18 can i still go with all of you. I am so glad she still enjoys going with us.
mrsmom

My DS 15 does not want to be around us or his younger siblings at all. I'm hoping that once we get there he'll come around. Have a great trip!

Step son and step daughter (14 & 15) are too cool to be seen with parents. They have been to Disney twice and were not big fans like DD (6). I just hope that she loves going back when she gets to be their age.

At 17, dd is too old to hang out with her 9, 5, and 4 yr old siblings. We allow her to bring a friend. They join us for certain restaurants and she especially loves being around Dad...when she runs out of money! ;)

My DD 17 loves to go on vacation with us. She looks foward to our time at Disney. She said when she goes to college in another year she is going to miss our family vacations. Michelle

I'll find out this year how my 2 older girls will act. with 6 kids in the family so far they have really wanted to watch the younger ones enjoy the new sights at WDW. This year at 16 & 14, I expect they will want some time off to shop and do some things on their own.

But they are both enjoying getting our 4 yr old DD ready to be a "princess" every day of the trip! They are having as much fun planning things as I am.

Well, I'm 17, so hopefully my insight will be helpful (even if I'm not a mother with a teenager!).

I LOVE going to Universal/WDW with my family...but then again, I'm a certified Disney freak, I live for it. Sweet 16 bash? Nope, not for me, I wanted a week in Disney!

Truthfully, going on vacation to a place like Disney or Atlantis in the Bahamas where I am constantly stimulated and theres alot to do....thats fine. I love those kinds of vacations.

My problem is when we go away with other families. My brother is 14, my sister is 11. Every last one of our family friends have children the same age as my brother and sister. My parents do not have one friend with a girl or boy around the same age as me. I'm bored to death. Usually, I opt to bring a friend or stay home. Truthfully, I don't want to hang out with my siblings and their friends the entire time, and I feel bad invading on the adults. I'm inbetween, and I get kind of lost in the shuffle.

I travel to Orlando every year with one of my kids, the older on one year, the younger the next and so on. This year was my older son's turn to go and up until about a month ago, he said he really wanted to. But, now he thinks it would be boring if he couldn't bring one of his friends. Little brother is very excited about going this year since his brother is backing out. I can't imagine him thinking it would be boring. I'm normally on sensory overload! He's 17, go figure.

Is it me or does it seem to be the boys who are more against doing "family" vacations and the such than the teen girls? I see a tend here just on this thread that the teen girls seem to enjoy family vacations much more than boys of the same age. Oh well, I have no daughters and my two boys are losing interest (especially the 16 year old) in being with dad and mom but still seem to want to go to Disney World. My husband and I both remember feeling the same at that age.

RobinLyn:D

I don't know about that. My boyfriends is 18, and literally has an obsession with his family. He goes out with them to the movies on saturday nights! I go with them, I eat dinner with them, I literally go out with him and his family constantly.
Maybe it's just him, but he loves his family. Then again, if I had his family, I wouldn't ever want to be away from them either!

The teenagers in our family, 14 and 16, are not always into family trips, the older one usually worse. But at disney, it's easier becuase there's things for all ages to do. Usually we give them either a cell phone orwalkie talkies, and they go off alone for part of the day, always in the same park we are. We also allowed them to go swimming at the hotel when we were doing other things. These 'alone times' worked very well, they got time to enjoy to themselves, and we also spent meals and a lot of the day together. Disney they usually like to go as a family, other place such as the movies, or even camping trips to maine are not always as pleasant as Disney!

I can speak for a teenager being I am one!! I'm 15 and I love family trips. I enjoy taking time out from the real world and just catching up with the rents' and my sister. I play travel softball and I usually hang out with friends and well these trips are a great thing!!

<3 alwayz
Lexi

I remember being a teenager and enjoying being with my parents. I don't think I ever went through that stage of being embarrassed. They were always fun to be around. I guess it just depends on the kid and the parents. I think if you don't treat them like little kids and give them alittle independence,they don't mind being with you.

I like spending time with my parents when going to WDW. Although sometimes I do want a friend to go off with, when I think about it I really do like spending time with them there.

I have a 16 year old son and we are a close family. He would not be too happy if we went to WDW without him! We usually bring one of his cousins with us so he has someone to pal around with.

That would make my 17 yr old want to go. He just doesn't want to pal around with "just mom". Wish I could bring a friend for him. That's OK. I'll save my money for my grandkids some years from now!

As a teen myself i like spending time with my FAMILY on the FAMILY vacation.....but there are sometimes when i like to go off and adventure by myself...so i take a walkie talkie...They are good to have just incase...you know:smooth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter