Do your kids complain?

tassie42

Mouseketeer
Does anybody have kids who complain in wdw? We are going in a few weeks with DS10 DD8 and DD almost 3 and I'm very excited but I'm hoping my kids don't spoil our trip by complaining about their legs being tired the heat etc. (hopefully it won't be too hot in April) They sort of are complainers even when we go to the mall for a couple hours! anyone have any tips? We do plan to take breaks most days and are only staying for one late night in the park.

This isn't kid related, but kind of the same???

I also whine and complain when hubbie makes me shop, too hot, too tired, legs sore, want to sit down etc etc

When we've been at disney and universal i've had a ball and not noticed being hot or tired........the same thing might apply for your kids?

There are also lots of places for them to have a quick sit down

cami
x

DS in not a complainer, but we did make a trip once with our two nieces who complain constantly about everything. Their constant yammering pratically ruined the trip for DH, DS and myself. (i'm hot, why do we have to walk so much, this dosn't taste right, is this line ever going to move, i hate being in this car...yap, yap yap!!! your in dinsey world for goodness sakes - shut your pie hole and have a good time!!!!)

We just are not used to that.

If you are used to it from your own kids, it may not grind on you as much. If this is their first trip you may want to prep them a bit and perhaps nip some of the complaints in the bud.

(you will walk alot. it will be hot. there are loads of other people on vacation too, so you may have to wait in lines. you are not the only person who will be feeling all these things, so you don't have to constatly tell me about it. i will do my best to keep you cool, give you plenty to drink, give you rest breaks and cut down on your wait times - but if you complain constatly, you will not only aggrivate me, but you will also not have as much fun. Even though all the things i just told you may make this place sound like a drag, if you go with the right additude this will be the coolest place you ever saw and you will love it.)

good luck - lori

I was totally amazed that my 6-year-old, who walked the entire time, didn't complain once!!!!!!

Are you planning to bring or rent a stroller? My 3yo ended up in the stroller much more than our infant, and that turned out to be a lifesaver. She would have been a royal grump if she'd been expected to walk that much.

I brought along plenty of snacks and juice boxes to keep them happy. We also just went with the flow...if they were getting antsy or too tired, we'd take a break.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll have tons of fun!!

Both my kids (DD-6 & DS-3) are real troopers! However when it comes to Disney it never fails, they tire of walking! Fast! I tried to skimp and not get strollers the first trip - wow did that bite me hard. Then, I tried just a single (DD being too big, I said). Then the fighting ensued.

So, in short, the only two complaints my kids give us at Disney is about having to walk everywhere and that we have to leave. We only do about 3-4 Park hours in the morning, go back to the hotel for a few hours and get back to the Parks about 4ish.

Get a stroller for your 3yo right away (it's good at all parks you visit that day) and with the unseasonably cool weather down there right now you'll probably not have too much crabbyness. Your older kids will probably be fine, just remember to sit awhile at times, we like It's a Small World for that, you are out of the sun, sitting down, relaxing (however annoying) music, and it's a pretty long ride (compared to most others in MK).

Good Luck!

Our first trip to WDW was wonderful--our kids were 4, 7, and 10 and everything was new and exciting. It was three years before we went back and that trip was awful. The kids were 7, 10, and 13 plus we had a 1yo. The problem was with the two middle children. They complained about what we were doing (if it wasn't their choice of what we should be doing at the moment) and they argued a lot. I ws ready to give the two of them away! On that trip we'd bought annual passes with the intention of returning later that year. We almost didn't go back, but did.

That next trip went better for a couple of different reasons. One, we drilled into the kids before going what behavior we expected of them and what would happen if they didn't behave. The other thing is that I was looser with my planning. It was summer and we went back to the room every afternoon to swim and hang out. They really liked that. Also, we stayed at three different hotels (AKL, Hard Rock Hotel, and the Swan) so there was a lot of different hotels and pools to check out. We'd never been to Universal before so that added something new to the trip. We haven't been back to WDW as a whole family since that trip 2 1/2 years ago (we've been back to Universal) and are planning on going back this January.

T&B

At any given moment, even at the magical WDW, you can look around a see a child in tears, or dragging their little feet and whining about something...

It is a wonderful, magical place, but it can also be a huge trap for the "gimmies," the "carry-me's," the "I'm hots," and the "I don't wannas."

Helping your kids know what their boundaries are as far as souvenirs (we'll buy them on the last day, or before we leave the park or whatever... so you don't end up lugging them around and trying not to lose them on rides) will help.

Flexibility will be your other key. Our first trip with kids aged 14 and 4 was almost a disaster because I was determined to follow the Unofficial Guides' 3 day touring plan if it killed us, and everyone was going to enjoy it or else!!! Realize up front that unless you are staying for a couple of months, you can't see and do even half of what there is at WDW, and try to choose before you get there what things are really important to your family. Then, on your way home, start planning what you'll see that you missed this time on your next trip, while it's all fresh in your minds.

Last, sometimes, stopping and eating a Mickey bar instead of seeing that show in 5 minutes is worth so much more to your sanity. (For sanity's sake, our kids ate lots more ice cream than they are allowed at home!) The show will still be there another time, but if you stop for a Mickey bar, the whining should stop (temporarily!) ;)

You'll have a great time, and the good memories will erase the few bad ones! :teeth:

As much fun as our DD 7 & DS 3 were having, there was still some complaining about the walking, (we had one stroller) not doing what they wanted to do, and the general brother/sister squabling.

One thing that really helped w/ us is the individual bags of "gummi snacks". I never figured out how those tiny little bags of Scobbys or Princesses could change attitudes so quickly, but they did! They are very easy to carry, already made up, and if they got squished, it didn't matter. They are also easy to eat standing in lines for rides or waiting for parades or shows to start. I took several boxes w/ us and just took enough to have about 3x a day (depending on our schedule for that day) and packed them in the back pack each morning.

I also agree w/ the tip to let the kids know what to expect and what behavior is expected of them.

Have a great trip!!:sunny:

I would say the most important thing is to prepare your kids for the lines since April will be pretty busy. We totally underestimated the crowds when we went so we had not talked to DD5 about how long we might have to wait (She is also a complainer). After the first hour in the MK she was in tears because we had only been on two rides and we wouldn't wait in line for Ariel's autograph because it was an hour long. Once we sat down and talked to her about it, she was okay and expected the lines after that.
Also, explain to them about the Fastpass. We got passes for Winnie the Pooh, but they didn't really understand why we weren't going on the ride right away. They were glad later though when we only had to wait 5 minutes to ride! :p

Funny you should ask this. There is video footage of my brother and I arguing the entire time we were there. I was 15 and he was 12. My parents swore they would never take us again. Yet they took us again 2 years later. Ha! Anyway, we were mostly arguing with each and not necessarily complaining about the heat, walking, etc. :p

When your 8 and 10 year olds start complaining about walking too much, say, "Oh ... okay!" with a bright attitude, and start walking back to the entrance of the park. When they say, "What are you doing?", tell them, "Well ... you said you were tired. I'm going to get you each a stroller." Very few 8-year-olds and NO 10-year-olds I know would deign be SEEN in a stroller. And for the ones who call your bluff just to see if you really will, do it. And let them know that you're taking the cost of the stroller out of THEIR "treat & souvenir" money.

Another tactic we used to use with my sister when she'd start whining was to stop at every single bench we saw. We'd tell her to "come over here, sit down and rest." We must have stopped at six benches -- only making it about a third of a way from one Epcot pavilion to the next -- before she said, "Geez you guys, I'm not THAT tired. Can we just get to the next place please?" She never complained again.

:earsboy:

We're just back with my 11 & 8 yos, and they were real troppers. The made it fine thru the first 3 days morning to night, no complaints. At day 4, the "we're tired, can we go sit/go back to the resort/go home" hit usually around 3:30. Rather than stress out, and drag them around and everyone have a miserable time afterward, we went back to the resort, kids had a swim, DH & I had a drink by the pool, and by 6 they were ready to go again.

After being in the sun all day , they were just tired and needed a break, which in the end proved to be a wise decision. We were there for 8 days so I was able to "go with the flow", and not stress if we didn't get something done on the day scheduled.

Have a great trip!

I go through the Official Guide to WDW with the kids before we go. That way, we have some ideas of the must sees. My kids are 11 and 9. They are told that we will be seeing some things that Mom and Dad want to see.

My kids are saving up their own souvenier money for the trip. That helps a lot with the gimmies. "Do you have any money for that? All your money is gone? I'm sorry you can't buy that toy you want." Practice this at home, so the kids won't be shocked. (Plus you'll save some money, too! :) )

The afternoon break helps a lot, too. The pools at WDW are awesome!

Marie

One other thing you should do is start walking now to get everyone in better shape to handle all of that walking. We are going in May and have started walking every night. It really does make the trip soooo much easier if your legs are better conditioned for all of the walking.

Although I know this may be frowned upon in today's warm and fuzzy society but the '3 count' does wonders for good behavior..but be prepared to act on '3'. I would strongly recommend a family meeting a week prior to leaving..outline what is likely to happen (..walking, lines, heat), individual budgets for souvenirs, what behavior is expected and what the consequences will be if they don't listen or reach the dreaded #3. Obviously you need to be more lenient with the three year old, but she might catch on enough to know to settle down by #2 if her older siblings calm down on #2. If for whatever reason someone is in the mood to press buttons that day be prepared to stop whatever you are doing when '3' is uttered, pack up and go back to the hotel immediately..end of day for everybody..(bring books for the older ones to read..or this might be a good time to work on homework) Make sure you bring munchie snacks to keep them busy, juice boxes and bottles of water are great.. other wise when the 'endless cries of thirst begin(usually upon spotting a soda cart of smoothie stand) direct them to the nearest water fountain(my kids hate this one) and take breaks just to people watch and rehydrate on those juice boxes. My oldest likes to have an urgent bathroom emergency if we're on a ride that he does not care for...he then has to wait for everyone to finish riding the ride..even if that means two sets of people waiting in line and for the rest of the day prior to every other ride he will be brought to the nearest restroom in order to relieve himself prior to getting into any line ..even the rides he can't wait to ride...this gets to be a little irritating for a 12 year old who wants to get into that 5 minute line before the show next door lets out...
I don't think that we're mean parents we have just learned to play the game right along with them. Good luck

We use those strategies too, but with small differences. My daughter and two grandsons (7 & 10) go every 2 years. This year, I asked everyone (including me and Mom) to choose 2 things in each park that were very important for them to see or do. I explained that was a way to be sure that everyone got to do at least the two things that were most important to them.

About souvenirs, the first year we went I spent more on "junk" than I did food. Since there wasn't a plan, I found myself getting everything they said they wanted (a grammie's weakness) and they wanted it all. Now I tell them, starting in January, that I will match any money they can save from their allowances, and they can spend that money on anything they want. When it runs out, that's it. Last year it worked really well, and it was interesting to see how carefully they selected their stuff (ie. let me think about this and we can come back later if I want it) when they were spending their own money.

I would suggest addressing it now - especially with the older kids. Get them involved in the planning and make sure they understand there will be some waiting and some time spent on things others in the family enjoy as well as their picks.

We traveled with my bil and sil and neices as well as my two dds and it was helpful to make sure the older neices knew that we would be riding dumbo for the little kids but that we would also be hitting space mountain. Let them help in the planning, ie if we hit fantasyland early in the morning we can do most or all of the rides and leave more tme for the mountains later in the day.

Have them research FP, it's easier for an older child to understand that with FP we can ride RnRc between 3-4 so we don't have to wait a 90 minute line now than it is for a 3yo to wait for his/her choice. We also split up for some of the time, not ideal family time but worked out well to keep everyone happy. Use child swap for the rides the 3yo can't or won't ride.

I handle whining and complaining at WDW similar to the way I do at home. There are rewards for good behavior and consequences for bad behavoir. Make them reasonable and be prepared to follow through. For us it can range from loss of the day's mickey bar to hitting the hotel room instead of the pool during afternoon break.

Remember to encourage everyone to drink lots of water before they get thirsty and keep everone fed as well. We have a rule that when we walk by the fruit stands everyone gets whatever they want!

We like to hit the parks early in the am, take a pool break and relaxing lunch and head back to the parks in the evening. Sometimes my girls have as much fun at the resort and pool as they do in the parks.

TJ

We took the boys (twins) in the summer, both times we have taken them. They were 6 the first time, and 9 the second. The major complaining was about who was supposed to carry the (water bottle, bag of raincoats, etc.) and for how long. They were pretty good about the walking, the heat, and any lines we waited in.
If you are staying onsite, and I hope you are, I strongly recommend (along with everyone else) taking a break in the middle of the day for swimming and a NAP. Especially with a 3 YO.

DD's 7 and 9 did GREAT! They are both very skilled at the "poor and Pitiful" routine, and neither one complained much at all. Yes, we were tired - we had early closing hours and stayed all day. They loved the fact that we pretty much got a snack when they wanted ( we are usually stingy and made the choice to go wild at WDW - wonderful fun for folks nearby to hear them ask,"You mean we REALLY get to get a drink AND a snack NOW?? ha! ha!)
They had their own spending money and they used it wisely. We didn't even stop to rest much except for meals, and they were so excited to just be there that they forgot their aches and pains! Our last night was a little rough. I dragged them out to MGM for Fantasmic and they were exhausted. They told me it was worth it, though!

All in all we were pleasantly surprised by their behavior. They were just so thrilled with the magic!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter